UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rampage: Jon Jones' oblique kick should be banned

1/22/13 12:44 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Card
1907 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/22/13 12:45 PM

http://www.espn.co.uk/ufc/sport/story/189564.html

"It should be called the illegal kick. It should be banned and it shows a lot about the fighter's character that he would throw it. How would he like it if somebody threw it at him and stopped him working for a year? I thought it was an illegal move. I think spinning elbows should be illegal too because they land on the back of the head. But I appreciate a good fight, a good scrap, I just wonder which rule fighters will bend next."

1/22/13 12:46 PM
Willin
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree it should be banned below the knee. I can't believe it poses huge risk for career altering injury despite what some may claim. Above the knee on the thigh should be legal though. Phone Post
1/22/13 12:46 PM
Willin
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^"...can't believe it *doesn't pose..." Phone Post
1/22/13 12:51 PM
wiggum
274 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't think it's a dirty move since it's not illegal.

But I think it should be illegal.
1/22/13 12:51 PM
buckshot44
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Punches to the head should be banned because they can knock you out.
1/22/13 12:56 PM
in_different
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

superCalo -  Slamming guys on their head should be banned too cause that can really really hurt. Phone Post

Hahaha
1/22/13 12:56 PM
Wasa-B
289 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hmm...its a fair point and a good discussion topic but Rampage sure does seem to whine a lot these days. A dam far cry from the "Im 23 so in 2 years I see myself as being 25" Pride Rampage.

Anyhow, imo, again, a good debate but until its legal, its legal. And as mentioned, slams and strikes to the head and body can also injure.
1/22/13 12:57 PM
Card
1907 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IDOHARM -  In all seriousness, it's a cunty kick. Trying to push your opponents knee cap into the back of their leg is just a dick move. What was the one movie with the aliens who walked with their legs in reverse? That shit. Phone Post

1/22/13 12:58 PM
GriffinQ
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Headbutting opponents when you slam them shouldn't get you wins either, but here we are.. Phone Post
kingkoopa
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The oblique kick is thrown in order to disrupt footwork and fuck up since acls and mcls Phone Post
illumiNate

JLau'sWarmnessSpewingAllOverMyFace - I can't wait for G-lover Tex to serve this chump ass his walking papers.
He'll be saying left hooks should be banned after that fight. Phone Post
1/22/13 1:06 PM
wiggum
274 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wasa-B - Hmm...its a fair point and a good discussion topic but Rampage sure does seem to whine a lot these days. A dam far cry from the "Im 23 so in 2 years I see myself as being 25" Pride Rampage.

Anyhow, imo, again, a good debate but until its legal, its legal. And as mentioned, slams and strikes to the head and body can also injure.

For real. He acts as if anyone who shoots a takedown isn't a real fighter.
1/22/13 1:12 PM
wiggum

^^Who are you quoting?
1/22/13 1:13 PM
Smellde Gluve
568 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wasa-B - Hmm...its a fair point and a good discussion topic but Rampage sure does seem to whine a lot these days. A dam far cry from the "Im 23 so in 2 years I see myself as being 25" Pride Rampage.

Yeah, to me it's an ugly kick that looks horrible to recieve but above all I'm very tired of hearing Rampage whine about stuff.

1/22/13 1:13 PM
kawz1
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ban oblique kicks to the knees. Ban foot stomps.

Allow up-kicks. Allow knees to head of grounded opponent.
1/22/13 1:15 PM
Flexo
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I used to compete in MMA, but then I took an oblique kick to the knee. Phone Post
1/22/13 1:15 PM
PoRrIDgE FC

He's right
1/22/13 1:18 PM
rowil

I'm kind of conflicted about this, one the one hand yeah it's kind of shitty move, on the other hand, I can't really think of a good reason to ban it.

Has anyone ever actually gotten hurt from that? Een the guy in the gif I doubt was injured from that, he doesn't seem to have the majority of his body weight on the left leg and it didn't bend backwards too badly.
1/22/13 1:18 PM
berger

Rampage style slams don't land to the back of the head right? Totally different than a spinning elbow. Lol. Phone Post
1/22/13 1:21 PM
chupecabre
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

All leg kicks should be banned. That shit hurts!
1/22/13 1:24 PM
tbi0904
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Billytk - Have to agree with Rampage here that is a dirty kick (which MOST honorable fighters don't use) and is Way more dangerous then a lot of the strikes that are banned

If that were true there would be an epidemic of blown out knees in savate. I think most people think the point of the kick is to damage the knee, which would be incorrect. The point of the kick is to disrupt the balance and timing of an opponent. It's not a pretty visual to be sure but neither is suplexing or powerboming an opponent on their neck/head.
1/22/13 1:46 PM
TheKidAintMine
151 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
1/22/13 1:49 PM
Willin

tbi0904 -
Billytk - Have to agree with Rampage here that is a dirty kick (which MOST honorable fighters don't use) and is Way more dangerous then a lot of the strikes that are banned

If that were true there would be an epidemic of blown out knees in savate. I think most people think the point of the kick is to damage the knee, which would be incorrect. The point of the kick is to disrupt the balance and timing of an opponent. It's not a pretty visual to be sure but neither is suplexing or powerboming an opponent on their neck/head.
Savate is also a pure striking art where fighters are trained to block and absorb such kicks. They have a LOT less weight on their front feet since they don't shoot in. It's not even a close comparison to MMA. In MMA guys have a MUCH more limited ability to defend the kick due to the presence of takedowns. Anyone is nuts who say a knee bending inwards without the opportunity to defend is not harmful to fighters careers. Phone Post
1/22/13 2:02 PM
RileyPust
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think it can be dangerous, but in no way is it dirty. I think it should be legal. If they make it illegal, it wouldn't be long before we lost leglocks.
1/22/13 2:07 PM
ranier wolfcastle
875 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HAS ANYONE BLOWN OUT A KNEE FROM TAKING 1 OF THESE KICKS IN MMA YET?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.