UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rampage: Jon Jones' oblique kick should be banned

1/22/13 2:12 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TheDigitalRuler
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's a legit technique, IMO. I see no reason why it should be banned.
1/22/13 2:14 PM
PJ Benn Fan
240 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ranier wolfcastle - 

HAS ANYONE BLOWN OUT A KNEE FROM TAKING 1 OF THESE KICKS IN MMA YET?

IDK if someone ever received long term damage from one, but I remember the one Jardine took from Vera in the gif on page 1 seemed to fuck up his movement for the rest of the fight

1/22/13 2:15 PM
GladiatorGannon
295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

l8r
1/22/13 2:19 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
562 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is a kick that looks way worse than it is. The goal of the kick isn't to blow out your opponents knees anyways.

Why does Rampage have to complain about everything? He seems like a very unhappy person Phone Post
1/22/13 2:26 PM
UGSlapshot
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bah, leg kicks to the side of the knee can blow out a knee just as quickly. Phone Post
1/22/13 2:30 PM
Bukorrki
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Compare this to Anderson's being fine with the idea of fighting without rules.

Anderson said it in an old Sherdog video. I'll have to try and find it.
1/22/13 2:31 PM
Willin
255 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OnlyTheStrongSurvive - This is a kick that looks way worse than it is. The goal of the kick isn't to blow out your opponents knees anyways.

Why does Rampage have to complain about everything? He seems like a very unhappy person Phone Post
It's a kick intended to maintain range. Front kicks, obliques to the thigh, and jabs can all do the same things. There's no reason guys knees should be getting bent in the opposite direction when those alternatives exist.

Also saying side kicks are equally prone to damaging the knee is retarded. The vast majority of the time a leg will swing to the side when struck with a side kick. An oblique kick below the knee is cheap as hell and it torques a vital joint in the opposite direction it's intended to move. Phone Post
1/22/13 2:32 PM
GSTREBENDT
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

then slams should be banned because you might accidently head but Arona unintentionally and head buts are illegel??? Also ban rushing in and punching wildly because accidental headbuts can occur?? when are people going to realize that more rules are just watering down mma...
1/22/13 2:48 PM
Herring In A Fur Coat

FightMatrix.com, MMA Rankings

Rampage should be banned from talking.

1/22/13 2:59 PM
Carrtrouble
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

While I think rampages constant whining lately is pretty damn annoying I really don't think that kick, directly to the knee cap, should be legal (throw it above or below whatever) but just seems like it could be really damaging to the fighters.

As a fan having GSP out for a year after his knee got blown out was frustrating as fuck. Imagine that kick hyper extending the knee of another favorite fighter or doing serious damage then another big figure is sidelined. This sport, while it is FIGHTING, is injury prone enough and I just don't think that is a technique that is worth the risk to the longevity of the receiving athletes career. It's an attack that isn't thrown to stop a fight but could severely damage the fighter going forward from that fight. What do you guys think? Phone Post
1/22/13 3:02 PM
Herring In A Fur Coat

FightMatrix.com, MMA Rankings
Carrtrouble -  While I think rampages constant whining lately is pretty damn annoying I really don't think that kick, directly to the knee cap, should be legal (throw it above or below whatever) but just seems like it could be really damaging to the fighters.

As a fan having GSP out for a year after his knee got blown out was frustrating as fuck. Imagine that kick hyper extending the knee of another favorite fighter or doing serious damage then another big figure is sidelined. This sport, while it is FIGHTING, is injury prone enough and I just don't think that is a technique that is worth the risk to the longevity of the receiving athletes career. It's an attack that isn't thrown to stop a fight but could severely damage the fighter going forward from that fight. What do you guys think? Phone Post

Fighters most often blow out their knees on shooting or defending takedowns. 

Name one fighter who has been injured by an oblique kick to the knee.  You can't.  Why?  Because while it "seems like it could be really damaging", it usually isn't.

If you hate fighters sitting out for a long time with blown knee ligaments, ban takedowns. 

1/22/13 3:17 PM
andyman011

octowussy - "How would he like it if somebody threw it at him..."

Okay, so what's stopping them?

Maybe the ridiculous range, look at the pic of jones throwing it on vitor. He is nowhere near range to counter, but having long limbs isn't illegal. I think you would have a very similar injury from a kneebar.

Either way, when anderson moves up he will catch that kick all day and make jones pay.
1/22/13 3:21 PM
Ryan Black
495 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hmm. I've never received a knee-teep (my Goldie-ism for the day) quite like that, even lightly, in a sparring session before... so I can't be exactly sure of how it feels.

I can tell you, however, that it certainly looks nasty as hell.

Should it be banned? Until further evidence comes forward- like a career-shortening injury occurring as a result of said kick- I don't believe so. And even then- is banning more moves really the answer we need? That's the question I find myself asking... Phone Post
1/22/13 3:21 PM
T Bag

This isn't an unusually dangerous kick. People will cry and scream that it is but they're just wrong. Flat out.
1/22/13 3:24 PM
KZTT_W85
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't think it should be illegal, I mean c'mon.

On another note I can't wait for him to throw it at overeem, the reem is gonna snap those chicken legs
And I'm no overeem fan (I'm a JDS nuthugger lol) Phone Post
1/22/13 3:26 PM
Jons Forsberg

I love his newfound concern for other fighters safety

1/22/13 3:29 PM
Wasa-B
313 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

To be fair, I believe it is banned from most types of kickboxing and karate etc comps.

But, imo, as long as its legal, its fair game. And as mentioned, it has not seemed to have ended up in a single notable injury yet. Guess not a lot of guys do it but....
1/22/13 3:32 PM
andyman011

Someone explain how to check one of these kicks, do you just take the foot off the ground, should you be aiming for him to hit somewhere other than your knee
1/22/13 3:34 PM
IHangFromBJsBallSack

Fuck Jones but I usually get frozen in threads concerning his fights so ima just be quiet. Phone Post
1/22/13 3:37 PM
GunnarWreckedMyAssHAOLE

what about kneebars?

they do the same eaxact thing that kid is intended to so

1/22/13 3:39 PM
andyman011

octowussy - 
andyman011 - Someone explain how to check one of these kicks, do you just take the foot off the ground, should you be aiming for him to hit somewhere other than your knee

You don't check it, you move either your entire leg or that part of your leg out of the way.

That's a bit ridiculous, every move has a counter move. If there was a move that didn't, people would abuse it.
I can agree it's low risk but to say just move out of the way it's really hard. I would think if you checked it similar to a normal leg kick, the 'piston' effect would hit your shin and kick it backwards which would avoid an injury, but it could leave you severely off balance
1/22/13 3:39 PM
Lynchman
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just want Jackson to have his final fight and leave. It seems like the last 2-3 years have been nothing but him complaining. Complaints about the UFC, complaints about other fighters, complaints about Hollywood, complaints about fans....it never ends.

If he really is that miserable, I hope he finds something that makes him happy and shuts up.
1/22/13 3:40 PM
andyman011

GunnarWreckedMyAssHAOLE - 

what about kneebars?

they do the same eaxact thing that kid is intended to so

It is the same type of injury, but you can't crank a kneebar 20x in a fight as where you can throw that oblique all day.
1/22/13 3:41 PM
stonepony

ZzzzzZZZzZzzzzzzz....
1/22/13 3:42 PM
Lynchman
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think Anderson Silva has used it in the past.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.