UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rampage: Jon Jones' oblique kick should be banned

1/22/13 3:42 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Lynchman
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think Anderson Silva has used it in the past.
1/22/13 3:49 PM
Willin
231 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Comparing the Arona slam to the below-the-knee oblique kick is daft. The slam has counters and many ways to even prevent being put in that situation. Not to mention most humans can't execute it effectively due to the brute power required.

The oblique is very difficult to counter in MMA due to the speed of it and because of the weight placed on the front foot to shoot takedowns or sprawl for the recipient. Hyperextending knees and risking injury ain't worth it. Phone Post
1/22/13 4:02 PM
PK618
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If that kick's risk to the knee means it should be banned, Palhares is going to be out of a job, cuz heelhooks would be right out.
1/22/13 4:14 PM
Stubjj844
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rampage doesn't even kick. Im sure if you asked him he would be for banning all kicks. Maybe if in the 14 years he has been doing mma he practised more kicks, Jones ones wouldn't have been as effective.
1/22/13 4:16 PM
Nikem
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GunnarWreckedMyAssHAOLE - 

what about kneebars?

they do the same eaxact thing that kid is intended to so

I think punches to the throat should be allowed, because you can do chokes...
1/22/13 4:17 PM
Bloodstorm

OnlyTheStrongSurvive - This is a kick that looks way worse than it is. The goal of the kick isn't to blow out your opponents knees anyways.

Why does Rampage have to complain about everything? He seems like a very unhappy person Phone Post
Easy for you to say. Your not getting kicked in your knee Phone Post
1/22/13 4:26 PM
Willin
231 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

octowussy -
Willin -  Comparing the Arona slam to the below-the-knee oblique kick is daft. The slam has counters and many ways to even prevent being put in that situation. Not to mention most humans can't execute it effectively due to the brute power required.

The oblique is very difficult to counter in MMA due to the speed of it and because of the weight placed on the front foot to shoot takedowns or sprawl for the recipient. Hyperextending knees and risking injury ain't worth it. Phone Post

It's MMA -- everything bears some risk.

Get back to me when this actually causes an injury.
Should we allow strikes to the rear base of the skull until we see injuries as well? It's blatantly obvious to anyone with a functioning brain that a knee being hyperextended in the wrong direction is terrible for fighters and isn't worth the career risk.

Once again muay thai has absolutely zero threat of takedowns so it is a lot easier to prevent and counter obliques. Muay thai guys have their front legs lifted up a LOT. In MMA guys have a lot more weight on their front foot for wrestling offense/defense. It increases the susceptibility to obliques greatly and isn't worth the risk. Phone Post
1/22/13 4:28 PM
Willin

^If a guy wants to maintain range there are plenty of other options including obliques above the knee. Phone Post
1/22/13 4:32 PM
Setree
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Willin - 
octowussy -
Willin -  Comparing the Arona slam to the below-the-knee oblique kick is daft. The slam has counters and many ways to even prevent being put in that situation. Not to mention most humans can't execute it effectively due to the brute power required.

It's MMA -- everything bears some risk.

Get back to me when this actually causes an injury.
Should we allow strikes to the rear base of the skull until we see injuries as well? It's blatantly obvious to anyone with a functioning brain that a knee being hyperextended in the wrong direction is terrible for fighters and isn't worth the career risk.

Once again muay thai has absolutely zero threat of takedowns so it is a lot easier to prevent and counter obliques. Muay thai guys have their front legs lifted up a LOT. In MMA guys have a lot more weight on their front foot for wrestling offense/defense. It increases the susceptibility to obliques greatly and isn't worth the risk. Phone Post

Taking a knee to the head when executing a takedown is also potentially career ending/changing. I've thought maybe banning knees would be the answer. But then it occurs to me that the problem is obviously the take downs!
1/22/13 4:47 PM
Mr Spliff

Yes, more rules is just what we need in modern day mainstream mma.... Phone Post
1/22/13 4:49 PM
OUTCOLD
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's the kick of assholes
1/22/13 4:53 PM
Rahjai
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kinda agree

Always feel like it's a douchebag move to intentionally kick like that. The chance of injury is too high.
1/22/13 4:54 PM
dipsheet
235 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They make me queasy for some reason.
1/22/13 5:01 PM
Master Bater
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Card - 
IDOHARM -  In all seriousness, it's a cunty kick. Trying to push your opponents knee cap into the back of their leg is just a dick move. What was the one movie with the aliens who walked with their legs in reverse? That shit. Phone Post

this...

there are plenty of other techniques to win a fight, this has no other reason that to do serious damage

this is a breaking technique from TMA, and IMO has no place in MMA..
1/22/13 5:03 PM
torquemada
274 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sort of a douche move but shouldn't be illegal. Heel hooks next? Elbows?

Slippery slope, bros. Phone Post
1/22/13 5:04 PM
fryingarmbar
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So the rules should be tailored to make sure that grapplers don't get injured? If someone doesn't want to eat that move then they can put less weight on the front leg and figure out other ways to get it to the ground (clinch). And if they can't figure that shit out, it's no different than the boxer who can't stop the takedown. You wouldn't all of a sudden call for a ban because the boxer might get injured by a slam.

And I'm still waiting for a single example of a career-ending injury from this kick in MMA.
1/22/13 5:20 PM
Willin

fryingarmbar -

So the rules should be tailored to make sure that grapplers don't get injured? If someone doesn't want to eat that move then they can put less weight on the front leg and figure out other ways to get it to the ground (clinch). And if they can't figure that shit out, it's no different than the boxer who can't stop the takedown. You wouldn't all of a sudden call for a ban because the boxer might get injured by a slam.

And I'm still waiting for a single example of a career-ending injury from this kick in MMA.
Can you provide an example of any "career ending" knee injury in MMA? In reality guys get knee surgery when they are hurt utilizing modern medicine. Almost no knee injuries are immediately career ending but they certainly are career debilitating. Phone Post
1/22/13 5:32 PM
sacredhate
99 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nikem - 
GunnarWreckedMyAssHAOLE - 

what about kneebars?

they do the same eaxact thing that kid is intended to so

I think punches to the throat should be allowed, because you can do chokes...

just re-read the rules...this one seemed crazy to me:

Fouls:

"xxi. Using abusive language in fenced ring/fighting area"

how do the diaz brothers not lose on pts lost to fouls alone?
1/22/13 5:42 PM
Vote me down

That kick is the equivalent of the Paul Daley cheap shot on Koscheck. Intently a dirty move.

1/22/13 5:53 PM
FingerorMoon
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In a combat sport where the point is to turn off someones brain via continual blunt impact, its just bizarre to worry about a kick to the knee. Unless we're talking boxing.... :)

Its only a dick/douche move because people aren't used to seeing it. I view that argument the same way I view non-fans who see UFC and freak about the 'cage violence' in general.

Its established that one single knockout can and does cause long term damage. Its beyond arguing that long term head shots cause signficant degenration in later life.
Yet of course we're not arguing head shots should be illegal.

Fighters in the UFC tend to simply head hunt and their entire below the neck strategy is to traing checking angled leg kicks. The main reason Jones has success with it is that no one is used to training against it. Doing that kick can get you in a lot of trouble against someone who knows how to deal with it, especially if they are expecting it.

...although I probably just like it since that kick is one of two moves Bruce Lee based his martial arts theory around and therefore it is awesome to see some Enter the Dragon shit put to use in the cage.... :)

1/22/13 5:54 PM
BigTedBear
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As somebody who has had knee injuries it always seemed a cheap move knee injuries really suck and most guys I know have had knee injuries. You have to remember its everything bag work cardio strength training you cant do much with bad knees. Phone Post
1/22/13 6:00 PM
Porkchop

There was a guy in my club who did that. He started doing it after he saw Anderson Silva do it for the first time.

I told him that it is a dick move and not something to do to your team mates. He was always more focused on learning flashy moves than proper form and defense.

Next time he did it (of course his hands weren't up) I dropped him with an overhand right and he got the message.

In fighting, I understand it. But why someone would do that to their training partners is beyond me.
1/22/13 6:03 PM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree that the kick should be illegal.
1/22/13 6:08 PM
T Bag

I presume that everyone who wants to ban this kick wants to do the same to thai kicks to the knee area. After all, the lateral force applied in a thai kick is more dangerous than the hyperextension resulting from this kick.

Or maybe you just think this kick looks icky and have watched too many kung fu movies.
1/22/13 6:09 PM
knuckleballs

It should be outlawed.... as well as the spiking of the head that rampage did against Ninja Rua.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.