UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rampage: Jon Jones' oblique kick should be banned

1/24/13 3:47 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
andyman011
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I got a question for you guys and I'm not defending either side. An armbar is meant to hyper extend an arm the wrong way. They are dangerous, and jones elbow got popped by Vitor and went numb afterwards. We keep those because a ref usually intervenes before anything is broken.

Now a kneebar is the same concept except a lot of people consider it more dangerous because knees are generally more prone to injury and when something pops in your knee it's usually permanent.

Imagine if you got knee barred to the point of wanting to tap, and the ref resets you and you get knee barred again, and then another reset and another deep knee bar. The first thing you think is "man this guys knee is gonna be jacked".

Now you look at the oblique kick, in most instances you can see the knee hyper extend backwards. If it pops, its an injury and most fighters won't tap because its not being cranked but it is a higher injury risk than a knee bar if not checked.

Consider it yourself. Sure the side of the knee could have a higher risk of injury but that doesn't negate the fact that this is a high injury move. Anybody that fights to cause career ending injuries is an asshole regardless if your name is Anderson or jones Phone Post
1/24/13 3:51 PM
Willin
245 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

andyman011 - I got a question for you guys and I'm not defending either side. An armbar is meant to hyper extend an arm the wrong way. They are dangerous, and jones elbow got popped by Vitor and went numb afterwards. We keep those because a ref usually intervenes before anything is broken.

Now a kneebar is the same concept except a lot of people consider it more dangerous because knees are generally more prone to injury and when something pops in your knee it's usually permanent.

Imagine if you got knee barred to the point of wanting to tap, and the ref resets you and you get knee barred again, and then another reset and another deep knee bar. The first thing you think is "man this guys knee is gonna be jacked".

Now you look at the oblique kick, in most instances you can see the knee hyper extend backwards. If it pops, its an injury and most fighters won't tap because its not being cranked but it is a higher injury risk than a knee bar if not checked.

Consider it yourself. Sure the side of the knee could have a higher risk of injury but that doesn't negate the fact that this is a high injury move. Anybody that fights to cause career ending injuries is an asshole regardless if your name is Anderson or jones Phone Post
We're still waiting for a question. Phone Post
1/24/13 3:58 PM
MolsonMuscles
162 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Willin - 
OnlyTheStrongSurvive - This is a kick that looks way worse than it is. The goal of the kick isn't to blow out your opponents knees anyways.

Why does Rampage have to complain about everything? He seems like a very unhappy person Phone Post
It's a kick intended to maintain range. Front kicks, obliques to the thigh, and jabs can all do the same things. There's no reason guys knees should be getting bent in the opposite direction when those alternatives exist.

Also saying side kicks are equally prone to damaging the knee is retarded. The vast majority of the time a leg will swing to the side when struck with a side kick. An oblique kick below the knee is cheap as hell and it torques a vital joint in the opposite direction it's intended to move. Phone Post

So does a kimura.
1/24/13 8:26 PM
andyman011

Willin -
andyman011 - I got a question for you guys and I'm not defending either side. An armbar is meant to hyper extend an arm the wrong way. They are dangerous, and jones elbow got popped by Vitor and went numb afterwards. We keep those because a ref usually intervenes before anything is broken.

We're still waiting for a question. Phone Post
Got ahead of myself. Which would you rather have done to you 25 times Phone Post
1/24/13 8:56 PM
noshame
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Back in the earlier days, it was illegal to strike against any joint, arm or leg. When Jones first started throwing it, I thought it was illegal, but looked up the Unified rules. Legal.
1/25/13 2:41 PM
Wasa-B
304 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Onnie804yamsaki - This thread is a prime example of how weed was made illegal and how the myths were taken by the masses so easily.

No proof its really any more dangerous than any other technique and 90 percent of people talk about it like its an instant career ender.Ive seen it thrown at least a hundred times total in mma without an injury. Unbelievable how idiotic most people are about the sport and how willing they are to ban shit with nothing but a false non researched opinion.

Its actually frightening.DERP KICK LOOK LIKE IT MAKE KNEE GO WRONG WAY.THAT NO GOOD IN FIGHTING SPORT

My stance is that aslong as its legal, its legal.

However, as kickboxing is a sport that has been dealing with this issue for much longer than MMA, it does make sense to look at how they rule it. There are diff orgs out there but does anyone know org by org if its legal or not in K1, Glory, muay thai rules, etc?

How is it viewed in the kickboxing world? I would trust they would be more knowledgable about this than the UG.

Duke?
1/25/13 4:30 PM
burner22
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wasa-B - Hmm...its a fair point and a good discussion topic but Rampage sure does seem to whine a lot these days. A dam far cry from the "Im 23 so in 2 years I see myself as being 25" Pride Rampage.

Anyhow, imo, again, a good debate but until its legal, its legal. And as mentioned, slams and strikes to the head and body can also injure.
Ha are you actually quoting him there? Phone Post
4/27/13 7:23 PM
6ULDV8

Haven't read shit of this thread and am posting on the thread title alone, so fuck off.

I was sure there was a rule years ago where no pressure points were allowed.

This is the same sort of thing.  Hobbling someone early on does not for a good hand to hand combat sport make.

Pls Zuffa, pls.

To me it's akin to poking the eyes for an early advantage and just looks like winning ugly.

Keith Hackney

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.