UnderGround Forums

GeekGround >> Who wins? Hulk Vs Juggernaut

3/7/13 1:59 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Leigh
955 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As an onlooker, this is awesome. Phone Post
3/7/13 3:54 PM
microMx
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://twilight.ponychan.net/chan/arch/src/130160330032.jpg

whats going on in this thr-
oh lawd
3/7/13 5:10 PM
Zenoplata
111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HULK WINS!!!!

3/7/13 8:07 PM
OGTT_Darth YOLO
172 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Naw. I'm feelin like gettin jiggly with it Phone Post
3/8/13 11:02 AM
Zenoplata
111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OGTT_Darth YOLO -  Naw. I'm feelin like gettin jiggly with it Phone Post

3/8/13 12:27 PM
orcus
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Questions Skarhead continues to duck:

Which comics featuring a "correctly written" Juggernaut defined the character for you, along with putting such strong convictions in your mind of how strong and indestructible he is that you will argue about it for literally years?

The simpler yes/no variant: Have you ever in your life read a comic that you feel depicted Juggernaut as the character is truly meant to be?

He even ducks his own claims, like when he said "So this one class 90 example stacked against the OVERWHELMINGLY larger number of various sources that clearly state Juggernaut is stronger than class 100" -- but cannot provide a single piece of support. Not one scan, not even one mention of where we should look to find any of these OVERWHELMINGLY large number of sources clearly stating Juggernaut is stronger than class 100. He makes a statement like that with total conviction but bafflingly cannot think of a single example to support it.

3/9/13 9:31 AM
SKARHEAD
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/09/13 11:27 AM
Like I said...you do not get to control the direction of this thread. Bottom line, you say Juggernaut does NOT possess a forcefield....and I (and everything Marvel) say he does. Jack Funk provided several examples of his forcefield in print and continuity....you decide to simply ignore them all...because they don't agree with you.

PLENTY of sources you can go check right now that disagree with you...you will ignore them all...SEVERAL version of TOHOTMU, The OFFICIAL website, trading cards, RPG game, Wiki, fansites.....and of course you choose to ignore them all...because they disagree with you.

However any random source or misprint, that is CLEARLY in the minority, is clearly the end all and be all in source information...

What versions of Juggernaut do I like ? Plenty.

You disagree that the vast majority of source material proves you wrong ? Well go research it then...and come back and post all scans (not just the few you think agree with you) and numbers to back it up....it's on you to prove me and Marvel wrong not the other way around.

ENJOY !
3/9/13 10:47 AM
Stronghold
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Children, play nice!
3/9/13 1:30 PM
orcus

Edited: 03/09/13 1:30 PM

"Bottom line, you say Juggernaut does NOT possess a forcefield.."

Bottom line, I say every writer has abandoned the idea, which is a fact. I'll leave it up to you to decide if a fictional character "has" something that the writers don't say he has.

Bottom line, you said there are "overwhelmingly" more examples of Juggernaut being "stronger than class 100" than there are of him being class 90, but I posted two citations for class 90 and you have been unable to provide or even refer to a single instance of him being said to be stronger than class 100.

"However any random source or misprint, that is CLEARLY in the minority, is clearly the end all and be all in source information..."

lol misprint or minority! Do you know what minority means? Here's a hint: When there are like 5 examples of something out of 100s of appearances, THAT is the minority. 

"You disagree that the vast majority of source material proves you wrong ? Well go research it then...and come back and post all scans (not just the few you think agree with you) and numbers to back it up....it's on you to prove me and Marvel wrong not the other way around."

lol, you have not now or ever posted ANYTHING.

AGAIN: Here are the examples of a forcefield that I can recall:

1. Juggs' introduction (1960s). It blocks some small missiles and Cyclops' blast.
  2. Also 1960s or 70s. The forcefield protects him from collision with a turbine but is overloaded and shut off in the process, leaving him vulnerable to a kick from Beast.
  3. 1980s. The forcefield protects him from Spiderman's webs and a fuel explosion. In the same issue he punches Spiderman repeatedly to  no effect.
  4. 1980s. The forcefield slows down Thor's hammer, protects him from godblast; however, the writer also thought Juggernaut was a mutant, and with the forcefield shut down, it took an unarmed Thor just 60 seconds to beat the snot out of Juggs
That's four examples and I'm sure you take a lot of issue with other things in those stories. Four examples, and only one (the Thor story by a guy who thought Juggs was a mutant) showed him being "truly invulnerable" even WITH the forcefield, while an earlier one (edited by his creator) had it overloaded by a garden variety impact. Are there any others? Any other appearances of a forcefield in Juggernaut's 44 year comic book history? The last one was in the mid 80s as far as I know. Never since has it been mentioned or used by ANY writer in ANY comic as far as I'm aware, or as far as you or Charles have been able to tell me. Sentinels analyze him; list his powers; no mention of a forcefield. He is defeated time and time again in ways that would be easily prevented  by a forcefield. Even when powered up to max levels (WWH) or beyond (8th day), still no forcefield in evidence. Weird, huh?

So there's the forcefield, there's citations and examples. That's why I don't take a forcefield into account in any of these discussions. If you insist he has a forcefield, fine. Either it's clearly not as powerful as you think it is (there is only ONE example out of four where it made him "literally invulnerable"), or he simply never, EVER turns it on, no matter how many times he is beaten as a result.

So now where are your examples? What are your examples of true indestructability? What are your examples of being "stronger than class 100"? I've posted my examples, in fact I've posted them in this thread already, and in every other thread -- yet you NEVER post shit.

"What versions of Juggernaut do I like ? Plenty."

Name them. Name one. Name ONE APPEARANCE that you feel represents the character "correctly". You still haven't done it. Why not? CharlesLewis cited one, although it's from 2009 and thus clearly not what put the idea in his head of the invincible Juggernaut. YOU have been arguing on this forum and others about this since well before 2009, so obviously you have some other comics in your head. What are they?

3/10/13 1:23 PM
SKARHEAD
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol
3/10/13 6:46 PM
orcus

Edited: 03/10/13 8:30 PM

Translation: "I have no response. I haven't actually read that many comics and certainly can't think of any that back up the ridiculous stance I angrily berate others for disagreeing with."

I'm going to make it even funnier and do more of Skarhead's work for him, here's what the OHOTMUs over the years have said:

Vol 1. 1983: Strength: "Hulk-level". Invulnerability: "impervious to all injury". Forcefield: NO MENTION.

Vol 2 "Deluxe" 1985: Strength: Class 100. Invulnerability: "extraordinary degree of resistance to injury". Forcefield: "shield[s] himself even further from injury"

Vol 3 "Master" 1990: Strength: Class 90. Invulnerability: "Totally indestructible". Forcefield: "the ability to generate a protective forcefield".

Vol 4 X-Men 2004: Strength: "originally" class 100 (I think this was during one of his depowered periods). Invulnerability: "extraordinary degree of resistance to injury". Forcefield: "shield[s] himself even further from injury"

Vol 5 "All-New" 2007: Strength: 6 out of 7.  Invulnerability: "extraordinary degree of resistance to injury". Forcefield: "shield[s] himself even further from injury"

Today (Marvel.com): Strength: 7 out of 7.  Invulnerability: "extraordinary degree of resistance to injury". Forcefield: "shield[s] himself even further from injury". Durability 7.

So, yeah. Only two mentions of being truly indestructible -- and one of the entries that says so ALSO puts him just at class 90 strength, while the other -- in fact his first OHOTMU appearance -- makes NO mention of a forcefield, lol. And NO entry says he is "stronger than class 100". Two of them (1990 and 2007) have his strength level explicitly BELOW the Hulk (and Thor, and Gladiator, and numerous other characters).

Here's the current Marvel.com "powergrids" for Hulk and Juggs:

photo powergrid_zps02b7de9b.jpg

Yeah, you're right man -- all the credible sources support your utter BULLSHIT take on the character!  

So which OHOTMU should I look at to find this ultra strong, invulnerable Juggs with a forcefield? There is literally NONE that describes a Juggernaut fitting that description.

Durr, hey guys, obviously 1983 and 1990 are "correct" about his indestructibility, but 1990 is wrong on his strength, and 1983 is wrong on his forcefield, and every other edition is wrong about everything, and every single actual comic book appearance of the character gets many, most, or every thing wrong as well. Trust me, I've got the "correct" character right here in my diseased brain and I'll tell you how wrong you are on multiple forums, year after year, if you have the gall to refer to actual PUBLISHED sources like these.

I eagerly await the results of your own research...or the latest way in which you duck the very simple question of how you reached the bizarre notion that Juggs is truly invulnerable or "stronger than class 100", which according to you you have an "overwhleming" number of examples of.

3/10/13 6:54 PM
I_Bungalo_Baboo_Babies
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Orcus got stronger the angrier he got Phone Post
3/10/13 7:23 PM
Leigh
955 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stan Lee said Hulk wins. If we're using the "appeal to authority" I think that is pretty authoritive. Phone Post
3/10/13 7:32 PM
orcus

Leigh -  Stan Lee said Hulk wins. If we're using the "appeal to authority" I think that is pretty authoritive. Phone Post

Yeah, really can't get much more authoritative than the guy who created both characters.

3/10/13 8:32 PM
orcus

Edited: 03/10/13 8:37 PM

Skarhead would be wise to never return to this thread. Not ONE edition of OHOTMU describes an invulnerable, mega-strong Juggernaut with a forcefield; neither does today's entry on Marvel.com. Nor was there apparently ever any "correct" comic book appearance of the character that matches Skarhead's fantasy version that he has insisted upon for years.

3/10/13 9:11 PM
CharlesLewis
784 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/10/13 9:18 PM

The last two appearances of fully powered Juggs, he was clearly getting the better of WWh, and survived direct attacks from Captain Universe... also shrugged off Skarr's full strength PLUS old power with no visible injury.

Force field or no, if he's only pushing 90 tons and barely invulnerable then A.) WWh was not so tough and should have been utterly PULPED the first time Sentry hit him at "cut loose" strength b.)Captain Universe has been SEVERELY nerfed over the years, I trust I do not have to rehash all the power feats he has had over the decades, in that he expressed clearly that he was trying to KILL Cain, and only managed to knock him around. c.) Skarr is a giant pussy who was getting bloodied and kickfucked by a guy no stronger than Teen Colossus or Sasquatch.

You want a classic Juggs appearance? How about the barfight where, despite not using/having a force field or even wearing his helmet, Collosus couldn't put a scratch on him? Or the Excalibur and Xmen issues where he went through two teams and laughed off everything they threw at him until, as always, they jimmied the helmet off and shut him down with psionics? It's clear that was the whole point of the character in the old days: a guy too strong and durable to beat with physical force, so you had to attack him in the head where he was weak. If he was just the Rhino without a horn, why not just kick his ass every time he showed up?

This is the guy who was knocking blood out of WWH with every shot, and in return showing no damage but dents to his armor, yet the GG braintrust somehow just KNOWS that Hulk will always beat him in a straight up... and Stan Lee can say whatever he wants, he has about as much influence over what goes on in comics these days as I do.

If both guys are at their customary power levels, and trying to beat each other rather than "I have more important shit to do, I could totally beat you but I don't want to" bullshit, Cain should beat the Hulk every time.

3/10/13 9:23 PM
orcus

Edited: 03/10/13 9:25 PM

"You want a classic Juggs appearance? How about the barfight where, despite not using/having a force field or even wearing his helmet, Collosus couldn't put a scratch on him?"

You think drunken teenage Colossus would have put a scratch on the Hulk or Thor in the 80s?

"Force field or no, if he's only pushing 90 tons then A.) WWh was not so tough and should have been utterly PULPED the first time Sentry hit him at "cut loose" strength b.)Captain Universe has been SEVERELY nerfed over the years, I trust I do not have to rehash all the power feats he has had over the decades, in that he expressed clearly that he was trying to KILL Cain, and only managed to knock him around. c.) Skarr is a giant pussy who was getting bloodied and kickfucked by a guy no stronger than Teen Colossus or Sasquatch."

Was WWH wounded after the Cain fight? He looked 100% fine to me. Anyone can momentarily mark him up these days it seems (Punisher stuck a knife right into Rulk for that matter). Cain bloodied him up, so did Sentry, in both cases Hulk persevered and won, because that's what he does.

As for your other two examples, do they outweigh all the times Juggernaut HAS been hurt in other comics? Especially now that we have it in black and white that OHOTMU and Marvel.com have far more often said merely that he is "extraordinarily resistant to injury" than they have claimed he's actually invulnerable?

"This is the guy who was knocking blood out of WWH with every shot, and in return showing no damage but dents to his armor, "

WWH already showed that his sheer strength could overcome Cain's "magical unstoppability", so it's not much of a stretch to say it would eventually overcome his magical toughness as well. In fact, of course, he clearly hurt Cain with a punch. At the time Hulk sent Cain on a trip to a sewage ditch, NEITHER guy had a scratch on him. 

"yet the GG braintrust somehow just KNOWS that Hulk will always beat him in a straight up...""

This is every meeting they've ever had:

1) Hulk and Juggs fight, Juggs is getting the better of it, Hulk gets mad and flings him into a mountain, writer says Cain was "probably KO'd".

2) War Hulk toys with Juggs and almost kills him.

3) Cain KOs Hulk, admits to using trickery; when Hulk gets mad in the next issue, two punches put Cain down and out for the next several pages.

4) Cain does well against WWH, who nevertheless hurts him with a punch and puts an end to his forward motion before casually discarding him.

Add those plus Hulk's "potentially limitless" strength -- unlike Cain's invulnerability or forcefield, something that has been noted in EVERY official Marvel source -- and the creator of both characters saying Hulk wins, and then throw in the current "power grids" that have Hulk equal or better in every stat. Seems pretty clear to me. Literally the only time Juggs has ever gotten the better of any version of Hulk was lame Professor Hulk whom the writer made it quite clear was deliberately holding back until it was too late.

"If both guys are at their customary power levels, and trying to beat each other rather than "I have more important shit to do, I could totally beat you but I don't want to" bullshit, Cain should beat the Hulk every time."

What do you mean by customary power levels, and when and where were these established? 

3/10/13 9:36 PM
CharlesLewis
784 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"4) Cain does well against WWH, who nevertheless hurts him with a punch and puts an end to his forward motion before casually discarding him."

This is why I don't get mired in these debates with you: you see what you want to see. I've posted this fight many times. Most reasonable people would at the very least see it was a draw, many of us think it makes WWH look very beatable (despite your Rulk example who else was bloodying WWh back then besides Omega level Sentry?) and you think the trip and bail is some sort of sign of what a badass Hulk is instead of him admitting he couldn't do much else to Cain... if he was hurting him why not just knock him the fuck out? he's in such a hurry all of a sudden despite taking the time to fight every single b and c list X guy for two whole issues... right.

Your habit of making EVERYTHING into hyperbole to support your case is annoying, and it overshadows the good points you DO make ( I will concede that Marvel has seemingly abandoned the force field, to the point where it would be even more inexplicable if someone actually showed him using it again).

3/10/13 9:45 PM
CharlesLewis

"As for your other two examples, do they outweigh all the times Juggernaut HAS been hurt in other comics?"

you are asking me if the most recent appearances of the guy outweigh some Xmen comic from the 60s where he inexplicably gets hurt by a propeller? Yes.

You intentionally cite examples like the first WWH fight where you KNOW Cain was depowered, in what way does that help your case? It makes you look disingenuous. You know what I mean perfectly well when I say customary power levels, I mean Hulk being full on Hulk and Cain not being in some kind of depowered state, not Hulk with Apocalypse fetish gear or 8th day Juggs. Why argue like a first year philosophy student and turn what should be a good natured debate into something annoying and pedantic at every opportunity?

3/10/13 10:53 PM
MarkRobinson
1421 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol at Hulks speed being level 7.

OHOTMU means just about as much as any issue with writers taking liberties. Phone Post
3/10/13 10:59 PM
MarkRobinson
1421 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good posts, Charles. Phone Post
3/11/13 12:24 AM
orcus

Edited: 03/11/13 1:47 AM

" Most reasonable people would at the very least see it was a draw"

I certainly don't see it as some definitive, amazing win. 

"despite your Rulk example who else was bloodying WWh back then besides Omega level Sentry?)"

I don't need to look at anything other than those two X-Men issues of WWH. Some rock dude I don't even know had the same effect of spinning Hulk's head with blood spitting from his mouth, and knocked him down. Beast kicked him in the face and made him wipe blood from his mouth from that. Some girl with a knife blade on her boot dropped him and had him on his knees with blood pouring through his fingers. Beast punched him again and made him bleed from his eye, the girl sliced him again, Wolverine sliced him up and had blood flying everywhere, Cyclops had his skin burning off, Colossus spun him and bloodied his mouth with a punch, Wolverine sliced him some more, DE-POWERED Juggs bloodied his mouth yet again with a punch before being stomped out....

I mean come on, almost literally EVERYONE bloodied him in that story and many of them spun his head with punches and even knocked him down, too, so let's not act like Juggernaut doing that -- momentarily, before a completely fine and unmarked Hulk, after having supposedly taken so much "damage", proceeds to negate Cain's "limitless magic"-powered unstoppability with nothing but muscle -- is proof of anything much at all. Lately every fight with everyone has Hulk getting plenty of bloodied and punched around a bit, even WWH. Artistic/dramatic license.

" if he was hurting him why not just knock him the fuck out?"

You keep creating a false dichotomy between Juggernaut being invulnerable and Juggernaut being a pushover. Just because Hulk can hurt him doesn't mean he's always going to one-shot him. Not to mention real world facts like they were about out of pages, and a writer who deliberately powered Juggernaut back up as a fan was not going to turn around and have him get stomped two panels later.

"he's in such a hurry all of a sudden despite taking the time to fight every single b and c list X guy for two whole issues... right."

It's weird when people act like there is some truth in comic stories beyond what the writer puts there. Every word of the story makes it clear that Hulk wants nothing but Xavier, and has no interest in fighting anyone else, but will dispose of anyone coming between him and Prof.

"you are asking me if the most recent appearances of the guy outweigh some Xmen comic from the 60s where he inexplicably gets hurt by a propeller? Yes."

KO'd by Hulk throwing him into a mountain, hurt and dropped and out of commission by Prof Hulk, hurt by combined blast from Spiderwoman and Storm, hurt by that dumb Liefield guy with the sword, hurt by Onslaught, hurt by War Hulk, hurt by WWH, hurt (without forcefield) by Thor...I'm sure I'm forgetting loads. But let's just narrow it down and say that every single time he has fought an angry Hulk, the character in question here, he's gotten hurt by him.

Obviously if you have a mistaken notion of Juggernaut being invincible as your basic assumption, every instance of being hurt will be "inexplicable".

"You intentionally cite examples like the first WWH fight where you KNOW Cain was depowered,"

I didn't list that fight at all, I forgot it. I listed War Hulk (Apocalypse) because I was explicitly making a list of, as I said, every meeting they've ever had.

"You know what I mean perfectly well when I say customary power levels, I mean Hulk being full on Hulk and Cain not being in some kind of depowered state,"

But what is Cain's powered state? You've said repeatedly he's not supposed to be able to be hurt by anything really, and very little historically supports that. Two OHOTMUs that have apparently serious other issues; a Thor story by a writer who thought he was a mutant and had him only invulnerable with the forcefield; and what else? Now 40 years from his inception you have fights with Skaar and Captain Universe (I haven't seen the latter, has it been posted?). I could just as easily say that if Hulk can trade with Sentry for a whole issue and level city blocks, and come out the winner, nothing Cain can do is going to make him blink either.

What *I* am saying is that Cain's "customary power level" is a guy who's about Hulk level strength -- but unable to ramp that up like Hulk can -- with somewhat greater than Hulk level base durability. You keep attacking some strawman where you insist I'm saying Juggernaut is the Rhino without a horn. Hulk's customary power level is that once he's pissed, he's stronger, faster, probably as durable even if he shows more cosmetic damage, and more agile. And even brute Hulk seems smarter. 

"Why argue like a first year philosophy student and turn what should be a good natured debate into something annoying and pedantic at every opportunity?"

What's the point of a debate where someone like Skarhead throws out a bunch of claims with no support at all, that are flatly contradicted by the actual facts, while "lol"ing at those who bother to support their position with citations, scans, etc? You said at their "customary power levels", Cain "should beat Hulk every time" -- and at the risk of being a first year philosophy student again, that's pretty much the very definition of begging the question. There is NOTHING in Cain's "customary power levels" that should have him beating the Hulk imo, which is the whole point of this debate. 

I'm having fun here; where's the pedanty in saying "it's not true that OHOTMU says Juggernaut is invulnerable or stronger than Hulk; it's not true that Juggernaut was classically portrayed as invulnerable or stronger than Hulk; it's not true that it's been shown Hulk can't hurt Juggernaut", etc?
3/11/13 9:23 AM
Hemlock
139 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Orcus you magnificent bastard!

3/11/13 9:47 AM
taba
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fuck marvel and its inconsistency.

I favor the classic msh interpretations:

http://www.classicmarvelforever.com/cast/juggernaut1.htm

http://www.classicmarvelforever.com/cast/hulk.htm

3/11/13 10:04 AM
None So Blind
255 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^^ I like that interpretation (superior durability AND a force field that is unbreakable by anything short of cosmic-level intervention), but the healing factor really rubs me the wrong way, if for no other reason it reminds me of 90's Marvel where EVERYONE was given a healing factor.

Juggernaut DOES NOT NEED A GODDAMNED HEALING FACTOR. He should be impervious to physical damage 100% of the time, and so a healing factor is completely redundant. It's like putting an astronaut suit on the fucking Silver Surfer...

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.