UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> An Open Letter from Lloyd Irvin

1/22/13 5:06 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
KingOfFighters
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik - 
Brian Rule - LMAO how long has this been a hot-button issue? And now, finally, the UG Blog acknowledges it

We avoid stories about figures in the sport and allegations of crime, where ever possible. The exceptions I can think of were Arianny roughing up her cell phone magnate bf as it was pretty funny go Arianny, Jeremy Stevens as it messed up a UFC and then we were asked to publish more, and the Jon Jones Bentley accident which was inescapable making CNN etc. As far as I know MMAJunkie, MMAFighting, and the other leading news sites have not run anything on this matter.

There was so much about this situation on the UG that not publishing a statement from Lloyd would have been unreasonable. Otherwise, I would have avoided it. There are enough people saying bad stuff about us without me adding to it.

I never understood this mentality. Mma fighters are public figures, so by nature their lives will be talked about. Just because they stepped in a cage once, they shouldn't face harsh criticism if they commit a crime?

1/22/13 5:06 PM
Neil Funk

Either way, 24 years ago has nothing to do with the brutal rape of his student. If she is standing by Lloyd, that says something Phone Post
1/22/13 5:07 PM
Terraform

In Phone Post
1/22/13 5:07 PM
PJ Benn Fan
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

D241 - 

http://articles.dailypress.com/1990-04-21/news/9004210056_1_irvin-two-men-young-woman

Same thing, dont' close out the pop up, but scroll down and read two lines at a time. You can read the whole article without subscribing or paying for anything. It's just a slight inconvienence to scroll and read faded wording.

Testimony in the 2 day trial revealed that as many as 7-10 men had sexual intercourse or oral sex with the 17 yr old, however the two defendents(Gatling and Irvin) contend the woman was a "willing participant".

I don't know about you guys, but I have NEVER met a 17yr old girl that would want and be willing to have sex with 7-10 guys in a few hour time span.

Gatling and Irvin said one of the first men who had sex with the woman, left the bedroom and yelled, "she's a freak, she's a freak". Both said they took that to mean she was easily seduced and had loose morals.

Jurur Bessie Mae Singleton believed the girl was indeed a victim of gang rape, however she wasn't convinced of Lloyd Irvins role."I had doubt and that is what saved Irvin. If I could've done it without that doubt, Believe me, Irvin would be serving some time."

Go spend some more time on the OG and you will be surprised at some of the stories you read about what women will do.

Would you believe a woman would blow a dog? Well theres a story thats been posted a few time on the OG!

How about a woman who would secretly give her husband medicine to lower his sex drive so he doesnt bother her? Go check out the annonymous confessions thread.

I think your expectations of people, not just women, making sound and logical decisions is a bit naive!

1/22/13 5:08 PM
BUFFGEO
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jeez, not even going to credit Luca Attila over at GracieMAG since this is an exclusive letter Lloyd written specifically for him that UG News just copied and pasted!?!?!

got to love the journalistic integrity
1/22/13 5:10 PM
cheesesteak
226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well e responded. The only problem though is that what everyone wanted to know got totally unanswered. That was a letter done in his mlm marketing in hopes of keeping students. That's all that was.

LLoyd, It would not be selfish of you to provide us with the hundreds of hour of testimony from your 1990 rape case. in fact it is selfish of you to not provide us with that. You tried to use reverse psychology, you marketing genius you!
1/22/13 5:12 PM
cheesesteak
226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Neil Funk -  And to think that no girl has ever consented to getting a train on her is ridiculous. If she consented, it's still shitty. But, just because D241 has never met a girl who would consent to getting a train run on her doesn't mean they don't exist. And, none of you know whether she did or not. The witchhunt continues regardless of not having all the information. Phone Post

Hey smalldick!

She was a fucking 17 year old kid, not a woman.
1/22/13 5:13 PM
D241

Edited: 01/22/13 5:24 PM
Neil Funk -  It was 1989. He made a poor choice being involved in that situation, absolutely. He didn't rape anyone. What happened in 1989 has nothing to do with what happened to his student. Phone Post

Dude, you're being very naive on this subject or just aren't educated.

http://www.lloydirvinrapeexposed.com/  On the right hand side under information, click those links and read facts of the 89 court case.

Fact-Lloyd Irvin was charged with gang rape

Fact-The victim testified that Lloyd Irvin did in fact rape her

Fact-Lloyd Irvin himself admits he was willing to have sex with her

Fact-Lloyds friends and aquantances were found guilty of raping that girl.

Fact-1 juror had just enough "doubt" to not convict Lloyd of rape.

Fact-Lloyd Irvin was equitted due to lack of evidence.

He didn't rape anyone you say?

1/22/13 5:13 PM
Wovito

"The truth is that nobody knows much of the real story of New Years Eve 2012 nor the incident of 1989 at all."

I bet the girl who allegedly got raped "knows much of the real story".

Also, LI implies like he's going to tell his side of the 1989 story, and then does nothing of the sort. He just says "I'm innocent".

This letter = poor form.
1/22/13 5:16 PM
TLM378
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheAssMurderer - 
TLM378 - Why didn't they charge him with attempted rape?

Is there even such a charge? I dunno, I havent been accused of raping anyone in a while. 

His stated he would have fucked her, but couldnt get it up. 

Yes attempted rape is a charge. Someone attempted to rape someone, but didn't/couldn't.

If he was guilty I just wonder why he was never charged with that. Or some sort of failure to intervene/report the rape to the authorities.
1/22/13 5:18 PM
D241

The answer TLM378, is just a few post above yours.

1/22/13 5:18 PM
Alumynabjj

Decency: Real Issue In Rape Trial
JIM SPENCER
April 25, 1990|By JIM SPENCER Columnist

I'm glad I wasn't on the jury that had to decide whether Terrence Gatling and Lloyd Irvin Jr. were guilty of gang-raping a 17-year-old Hampton University freshman.

Although the jurors found Gatling guilty of forcible sodomy, there was not enough evidence to convict either man of rape.

Still, when the three-day rape trial ended Monday, the defendants had revealed too much about themselves to be let off the hook for what happened Oct. 7 in Gatling's apartment.

On that evening a 17-year-old girl agreed to go to dinner with a group of male college students she barely knew. Then she agreed to go to an apartment with them for a party. Somewhere along the line she drank some booze.

By the end of the night, at least seven men had had sex with her. Neither Gatling, who is 21, nor Irvin, who is 20, tried to talk any of them out of it. Instead, they joined in. Or tried.

Irvin was saved by the fact that the jury believed he was impotent when it was his turn.

The rape trial was argued on the same turf as most rape trials: The girl, 5 feet 2 inches tall and 98 pounds, said she was forced to submit to the men's sexual advances. She said when she struggled with one of them, he hit her in the mouth. A medical report showed that her mouth was bruised.

The men said she was a willing participant in an orgy. Lawyers for Irvin and Gatling called witnesses who claimed they heard the girl encourage the men having sex with her.

The defendants also claimed that one of the first men to have sex with her came out of the bedroom yelling, "She's a freak. She's a freak."

Irvin and Gatling apparently took that to mean the 17-year-old was a nymphomaniac.

My question is: What difference does that make?

Does it justify being the seventh guy into the bedroom, or, for that matter, the first?

The jury didn't really address that.

"It was an emotional trial," one of the jurors, Barry Spigel, told me. "But we did a good job of getting rid of our own separate emotions and considering the evidence. The jury felt that there was reasonable doubt of whether a rape had occurred."

"I feel the girl was raped," said Bessie Singleton, another juror. "But the room where this happened was dark, and with all that was going on, it was unclear who was doing what."

"It's not over in my mind," Paul Hoyt, a third juror, confided. "These kinds of trials never are. You hope you call it correctly. I don't know what else you can do. We prayed to God for some guidance. I don't think anybody got any great revelations."

Without divine intervention, the trial turned on legal definitions. That's the only fair way, I know, but in this case it doesn't seem like enough.

Irvin walked free, not because he did the right thing and refused to have sex with a 17-year-old. He testified that he wanted to have intercourse with her but couldn't.

Gatling's rape charge stemmed from an accusation that he held the girl down while Irvin had intercourse with her. Since the jury believed Irvin didn't have intercourse, Gatling couldn't have helped him. So Gatling could be convicted only of forcing the 17-year-old to perform oral sex.

Ah, justice.

I accept the premise of guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. I understand that the girl used terrible judgment. But whether or not she consented to the sex acts that occurred as a result, they shouldn't have happened. What's more, there's no way for the men involved to blame somebody else.

The verdict took into consideration reasonable doubt. I just wish there was some way it could have also included moral outrage. Maybe then everyone could have learned the real lesson of this tragedy:

Decent people don't try to exploit others. Not even "freaks."
1/22/13 5:19 PM
Fake Pie
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Likely they didn't charge him with attempt and double jeopardy would make it impossible to try and charge him after he was acquitted of actual rape. It has been a while since I took Criminal Law so I'm hazy on the rules of double jeopardy.
1/22/13 5:20 PM
no-gi_JAMES420
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Neil Funk -  It was 1989. He made a poor choice being involved in that situation, absolutely. He didn't rape anyone. What happened in 1989 has nothing to do with what happened to his student. Phone Post

PS his sambo coach is a convicted child molester. Birds of a feather....
1/22/13 5:21 PM
warrendale

He didn't give any details about 1989. he even said in the letter he was about to say something and then he must have a d d'ed right out of it cause he skipped right on over it. Phone Post
1/22/13 5:22 PM
Terraform

D241 -

What I am about to share with you IS an eyewitness account of what REALLY happened 23 years ago.

I’m not going to give you the sugar coated version some have told me to give I’m simply going to tell you the truth, the same truth I told 23 years ago

So for starters...

I was once 20 years old
I did things 20 year olds do... drank too much,
partied too much,
etc...

Probably not unlike many 20 year olds,
I made more than my share of dumb choices.

I hadn’t found martial arts yet.

(I was 3 when I took my first martial arts class
but I didn’t make it the cornerstone of my life until 1996 at that time I still hadn’t learned how to be a leader)

I’m not saying this to excuse my choices and decisions, as that’s simply not possible.

I am saying my life and my foundation was different as an uncertain 20 year old than it is now as a father, husband and mentor at 43.

Recently some people have decided to believe things about me and the 1989 incident that are absolutely positively untrue....

and this is what I’d like to speak to next...
I cannot control what you believe nor will I try. I can only tell the truth.

I told the truth 23 years ago
to my mother
to my father and
under oath in a court of law and I’m telling the truth today.

I’m telling you the same thing I told the jury and the truth that is STILL on record.

The facts are the facts and glossing over the fact that

I did NOT rape nor have sex with ANYONE involved in the 1989 incident cannot and should not be brushed under the carpet.

I told the 100% unadulterated truth, just as I’m sharing with you right now.

I did NOT “get off on a technicality” as some want to say.

Please understand...
Before my trial in 1989 I was offered a plea bargain for “lesser time”...

the prosecutors told my father point blank...

“Mr. Irvin we are going to give your son
a lesser penalty if he admits
he is a rapist and if he doesn't
we will lock him up and put him away for a very long time.”

I talked to my mom and my dad.

I was a kid.
I didn’t know what to do.
Terrified is the only word that comes close.

I’ve never seen my dad cry in my entire life not before and not since... but I remember his breath on my face and his tears in his eyes...

“Son, are you guilty of rape?”

Just the words coming flatly from your father’s mouth ... eye to eye
I still tremble today just remembering it.

I said “no, no dad I didn’t rape her, I didn’t.” And with that he said...

“then you will not say you did.”

And so like my father taught me from the first time I could walk, I went and told the truth and as a result....
I was not convicted. I was innocent.

What part is untrue Lloyd? If you did not get off on a technicality, then why did you get off? Why is the main story that you were going to rape her, but the fact that you were impotent, prevented you from doing so?

He won't address questions like that, and until he does, he can expect people to judge him and boycott his products/services.

Your father should have taught you to stop a gang rape when you see one! Phone Post
1/22/13 5:25 PM
AlexanderTheGOAT

The victim of the 1989 case and another man there claimed Lloyd did rape her.

He claimed he was going to but couldn't get an erection.

So scenario A) he raped her as claimed by two people

Scenario B) he, by his own admission, wanted to rape her but his penis had stage fright.

Which scenario makes Lloyd Irving NOT a
Scumbag? Phone Post
1/22/13 5:28 PM
Alumynabjj

5050buttflopper - i still have respect for mr irvin, he is obviously a changed man, if you cant forgive someone then you r a piece of shit

You are the worst troll on this site. Seriously, you are horrible at it.
1/22/13 5:28 PM
wiggum
258 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cheesesteak - 
Neil Funk -  And to think that no girl has ever consented to getting a train on her is ridiculous. If she consented, it's still shitty. But, just because D241 has never met a girl who would consent to getting a train run on her doesn't mean they don't exist. And, none of you know whether she did or not. The witchhunt continues regardless of not having all the information. Phone Post

Hey smalldick!

She was a fucking 17 year old kid, not a woman.

Yeah. Jesus Christ.
1/22/13 5:29 PM
Marion Cobretti

pretty disappointed in the UG for covering up the biggest story on here in recent memory.. its on the UG, the OG, The BJJ forums, half the threads got moved to the What if forums and not one mention of this in the UG NEWS until now..

If you wanted to protect the sport and art, transparency and accountability is the way to go.. What was done here is no different than what the media does on a daily basis.. If thats the line you guys want to tout then why not get rid of the UGNEWS.. It will allow your bias to stay hidden..

1/22/13 5:30 PM
Winston Wolf

5050buttflopper - i still have respect for mr irvin, he is obviously a changed man, if you cant forgive someone then you r a piece of shit

HI Lloyd
1/22/13 5:31 PM
wiggum
258 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wovito - "The truth is that nobody knows much of the real story of New Years Eve 2012 nor the incident of 1989 at all."

I bet the girl who allegedly got raped "knows much of the real story".

Also, LI implies like he's going to tell his side of the 1989 story, and then does nothing of the sort. He just says "I'm innocent".

This letter = poor form.

Great post.
1/22/13 5:32 PM
wiggum

AlexanderTheGOAT -  The victim of the 1989 case and another man there claimed Lloyd did rape her.

He claimed he was going to but couldn't get an erection.

So scenario A) he raped her as claimed by two people

Scenario B) he, by his own admission, wanted to rape her but his penis had stage fright.

Which scenario makes Lloyd Irving NOT a
Scumbag? Phone Post

Voted up
1/22/13 5:32 PM
vegard
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mt
1/22/13 5:33 PM
LShaman

Letter reads like his agent wrote it or some shit.

The only facts I got from this is that Lloyd's parents are ashamed of him.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.