UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Let's renovate my house!

[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
1/23/13 2:47 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Stupidnewbie
206 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So I bought new house.  Wife and I decided to upgrade some stuff before moving in.  It kinda got out of hand... Here's what we bought.  It was bank-owned for almost 2 years.  We were one of many offers, we put in what we thought was fair and I guess everyone else tried to lowball the hell out of them.

A little neglected out front.

Nice big backyard.

Kitchen is not too bad.  We tore it out.

What the hell am I going to do with this monstrosity?

1/23/13 2:49 AM
Stupidnewbie
206 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The other side of the fireplace.

Bye bye kitchen and walls.

More walls gone.

1/23/13 2:54 AM
Stupidnewbie

There's a bobcat in my house!

We added 9'x25' to the master suite.  Here's the new footing.

Framing up the kitchen wall for the new window.  Lots of wiring mess.

Standing in the newly expanded master bedroom, looking at the master bath and walk-in closet.

1/23/13 2:59 AM
Stupidnewbie

Roof on the new addition.  The roofer blended the new and old very well.

Might as well do all new siding on the house.  Tore off all the stucco and getting ready for Hardi-plank siding.  Matilda is running security detail in this picture.

New master shower.  8'x4'.  It'll have His and Hers shower panels and quite a lot of tile.

Wonderboard up in the shower.  Also installed a solar tube to bring in some natural light.

1/23/13 3:04 AM
Stupidnewbie

Drywall going up.  Here's the kitchen.  After this the mud guys are doing Level V smooth.  There won't be any texture to the wall surface.

Paint!  New front door!

Truck load of goodies.

Kitchen cabinets going up.

Cabinet doors going on.  Getting ready to pour the concrete countertops.

1/23/13 3:08 AM
Stupidnewbie

That's where we sit today. Tomorrow we start tiling in the bathroom. Once we pour the countertops we will start installing the hardwood floors. Then the siding goes on and we'll be close to moving in. Other notable upgrades we made was a 200amp main panel with a 70amp subpanel in the garage. We also eliminated the breezeway between the house and garage, making it part of the garage. We re-located the laundry out there and have a large workshop area. We moved the furnace into the attic and a tankless water heater outside, giving us a large hall closet. We re-wired the entire house and re-lined the sewer line all the way to the street main.
1/23/13 3:11 AM
morientesfan910
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In for ideas Phone Post
1/23/13 3:31 AM
Scoobz
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cool thread man, was very cool seeing the transformation!  VU!

What did you end up doing with the brick fireplace?

1/23/13 3:41 AM
Stupidnewbie

We are gluing up wonderboard for now. The original plan was an old-world brick tile...but the wife is not sure now if she wants brick. We're considering covering it in antiqued steel, re-claimed wood, or tile. The kitchen side will have stainless double doors and will be converted to an indoor grill / pizza oven.
1/23/13 3:45 AM
Scoobz
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stupidnewbie - We are gluing up wonderboard for now. The original plan was an old-world brick tile...but the wife is not sure now if she wants brick. We're considering covering it in antiqued steel, re-claimed wood, or tile. The kitchen side will have stainless double doors and will be converted to an indoor grill / pizza oven.

Good idea, if pizza is your thing then having a pizza oven would be sweet.  

1/23/13 3:53 AM
zxqninefour
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Subbb very cool ! Phone Post
1/23/13 4:06 AM
Stupidnewbie

Expanded garage.  Full of parts / crap.

New plumbing in the garage for laundry and a washdown sink.

1/23/13 4:13 AM
Dr VanNostrand
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cool thread OP Phone Post
1/23/13 5:33 AM
Frog-Jitsu
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Indeed Phone Post
1/23/13 6:38 AM
1chaino
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stupidnewbie - That's where we sit today. Tomorrow we start tiling in the bathroom. Once we pour the countertops we will start installing the hardwood floors. Then the siding goes on and we'll be close to moving in. Other notable upgrades we made was a 200amp main panel with a 70amp subpanel in the garage. We also eliminated the breezeway between the house and garage, making it part of the garage. We re-located the laundry out there and have a large workshop area. We moved the furnace into the attic and a tankless water heater outside, giving us a large hall closet. We re-wired the entire house and re-lined the sewer line all the way to the street main.
Please tell me you didn't buy a takagi water heater. Mine was a pos and they really sucked for customer service. Long story short I now have a buderus. Be sure to flush it yearly. Nice front door Phone Post
1/23/13 6:47 AM
ec
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cool, nice work! Phone Post
1/23/13 6:59 AM
The_KoJ
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In like a motherfucker Phone Post
1/23/13 7:44 AM
microbiologynerd
1032 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Come redo my kitchen, bathrooms and basement? I'll make the wife wear a bikini while you work and we'll call it even Phone Post
1/23/13 7:45 AM
Bryce14
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In to see future progress, cool thread OP Phone Post
1/23/13 11:28 AM
Stupidnewbie

We bought a Rheem water heater. A friend installed the same model and really liked it. As for cost vs a new house, we looked into that. We are doing most of the work ourselves, so the reno is only going to cost about 65-70k. We will be sitting pretty with less than 525k invested and a value of 650-700k.
1/23/13 12:26 PM
Palmala Handerson
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Place is gonna be awesome when its all done. Good work on the Hardi-plank, that's the best siding you can get IMO.
1/23/13 12:28 PM
caseharts
390 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
1/23/13 12:34 PM
turducken

why would you use wood framing rather than metal?
1/23/13 1:42 PM
Stupidnewbie

No one uses metal around here. Possibly has to do with earthquakes? I dunno. Plus, all the existing framing is wood.
1/23/13 6:46 PM
turducken

i think metal framing actually performs better in earthquakes. straighter walls and no insect problems are the main benefits. its not a big deal though, plenty of people still use wood...
[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.