UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Let's renovate my house!

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

1/23/13 7:35 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jake11
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LG Metal Framing is very uncommon in residential construction.
I would bet his framers wouldn't know where to start.

wood is cheaper too and the labor to install is too as LG framers generally work in commercial and are paid more.

also, he'd only be able to use LG for his interior partitions. His electricians would charge him more for MC Cable and steel boxes too.
1/23/13 7:55 PM
Rick_Cain
355 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IN!! Looks great! Can't wait to see everything finished. Phone Post
1/23/13 8:12 PM
Bubba Stuckey
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Looks good!
1/23/13 9:56 PM
Stupidnewbie
384 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Let's put up some tile.
1/23/13 10:00 PM
Stupidnewbie
384 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That was easy! .
1/23/13 10:13 PM
turducken
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jake11 - LG Metal Framing is very uncommon in residential construction.
I would bet his framers wouldn't know where to start.

wood is cheaper too and the labor to install is too as LG framers generally work in commercial and are paid more.

also, he'd only be able to use LG for his interior partitions. His electricians would charge him more for MC Cable and steel boxes too.

that makes sense. i dont have much experience in construction, but i did build a house recently and the first GC on the job used wood framing for all the interior partitions...i didnt even have a clue that metal was an option. but the walls ended up not being perfectly straight, so i fired the GC, hired a new one and had him rip out all the wood framing and re-do everything in metal. the walls are perfect now and i also dont have to worry about WDO(wood destroying organisms). i also like metal because wood used for construction is often treated with formaldehyde and other nasty chemicals which off-gas into your home.

you are right that his exterior framing would still be done in wood, but that wasnt an issue for me because i built with concrete block.

is that a brick pizza oven in the kitchen? if it isnt, maybe you could convert it into that...would be pretty badass.

i like the bones of the house...curb appeal is shitty as-is, but the structure is such that it has really great potential. over time you can replace the roof, fence, driveway, landscaping, paint and windows and the house could look great
1/24/13 12:15 AM
Stupidnewbie

It's an elevated "Brady Bunch" fireplace. I'll be converting it to an indoor grill / pizza stone oven. The exterior appearance is sort of "phase 2" of the project. We have to have the siding up for the move-in permit but we'll be re-painting/replacing all the roof trim, adding gutters, redoing the landscaping and fence, etc. The windows are good double-paned retrofits on the front of the house, every other window was replaced in the house during this renovation.
1/24/13 7:32 PM
Stupidnewbie

Didn't get anything done today. Car is in the shop so I'm stranded at my other house. Next week, I plan to pour the countertops, finish the tile, and start light fixtures. Hopefully get the place cleaned up to start laying the wood flooring, as well.

I'm doing much of the work myself, not sure if that was clear in my previous posts. My stepdad is a GC and I grew up doing this stuff. I'm still learning a lot as we go. We cut our renovation costs in half or more by doing a lot of hard labor ourselves and shopping around for materials. If we had just hired a contractor, these upgrades probably would have set us back $150k.
1/26/13 1:08 AM
Stupidnewbie

Made a little progress today, but mostly cleaned up the house in preparation for flooring.  Got most of the fireplace covered in Wonderboard.  We are got a quote on covering it in aged/antiqued steel and I think that's where we are going with it.

The tile in the master shower is looking good, too.  Very hard to capture this tile.  It has light grey wavy lines running vertically and it also has similiar waves in the contour of the porcelain.  Once we grout, all the seperation lines should disappear.

2/2/13 12:55 AM
Stupidnewbie

Edited: 02/02/13 12:55 AM

This week was mostly cleaning up the jobsite in preparation for laying floors.  But I did pick up these awesome fruit crates. They are supposed to be 80-100 years old.  I'm deconstructing them to use as reclaimed wood.  It will go on the sides of the fireplace and the back side of the kitchen island.  They have some incredible patina to them!  I'll probably just give the wood a very light sanding and seal it.

2/4/13 4:14 AM
Sho_Gunn
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bryce14 -  In to see future progress, cool thread OP Phone Post

2/4/13 7:52 AM
joemama1034
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post
2/4/13 8:21 AM
Mark1

What are you doing for hardwood floors?

- Mark OG's resident hardwood floor geek Phone Post
2/7/13 4:24 PM
Stupidnewbie

Shaw Rustic Touch in Bison.  Shaw is supposed to have the most scratch-resistant floors out there right now.

Also, complete disaster yesterday.  I brought my concrete guy back, who supposedly knew what he was doing with concrete countertops.  Well, the concrete set up WAY too fast and turned hard as a rock as soon as we poured it.  $1,000 in materials trashed, gotta start all over.  Oh well...

2/7/13 5:19 PM
manny99
597 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stupidnewbie -

This week was mostly cleaning up the jobsite in preparation for laying floors.  But I did pick up these awesome fruit crates. They are supposed to be 80-100 years old.  I'm deconstructing them to use as reclaimed wood.  It will go on the sides of the fireplace and the back side of the kitchen island.  They have some incredible patina to them!  I'll probably just give the wood a very light sanding and seal it.

I think this is bad ass. Love that you're going with concrete countertops too. Look forward to seeing pics of both when finished. Phone Post
2/7/13 6:18 PM
Mark1

Stupidnewbie -

Shaw Rustic Touch in Bison.  Shaw is supposed to have the most scratch-resistant floors out there right now.

Also, complete disaster yesterday.  I brought my concrete guy back, who supposedly knew what he was doing with concrete countertops.  Well, the concrete set up WAY too fast and turned hard as a rock as soon as we poured it.  $1,000 in materials trashed, gotta start all over.  Oh well...

What wood? Oak, I assume?

I am anti prefinished floors generally, but some are nice.

Mark Phone Post
2/7/13 6:51 PM
Arzn1ck
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Looks like you should have just built a new house. Phone Post
2/7/13 6:54 PM
Chocolate Shake

Can we get a close up of that front door?? Phone Post
2/7/13 7:29 PM
Stupidnewbie

Arzn1ck -  Looks like you should have just built a new house. Phone Post

That would have cost a ton more money and time. Chocolate Shake, I'll work on that.
2/7/13 7:41 PM
JD Mpls
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Looking great dude. I did this to my previous house. Was very cool when done. We sold it and built last year. Great experience.

Good luck! Phone Post
2/7/13 7:42 PM
Aaronrodgers=GOAT
1432 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

More pics of Matilda !

2/7/13 7:46 PM
Stupidnewbie

Closest I have to a door close-up until tomorrow.

Matilda the best dog in the world.

2/7/13 7:48 PM
Aaronrodgers=GOAT
1432 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

She's gorgeous ! You still in North County broseph ?

2/7/13 7:49 PM
pennviachoke
1463 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In

I like the exposed brick in the kitchen
DO NOT PAINT IT!! imo of course

Use colors in the kitchen that will make it pop Phone Post
2/7/13 7:53 PM
In Limbo

is that real brick in the kitchen?

if so leave it be!

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.