UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> White: No more women booked till after UFC 157

1/23/13 10:57 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Dana White, Nick Diaz and Georges St-Pierre are currently in Montreal hyping UFC 158. While no video is up yet, Mike Bohn from MMAMania.com posted a critical note from the festivities on Twitter:

White said that another female fight won't be booked in the UFC until after Ronda Rousey vs. Liz Carmouche at UFC 157.

That is big news for a few reasons.

While Ronda Rousey is the only woman booked for a fight, she is not the only woman employed by the UFC. Miesha Tate announced the same day as Rousey that she was now a part of the UFC. This has led many fans to wonder if White was waiting to see how UFC 157 panned out before booking any other fights.

Those rumblings seem to be true.

read entire article...

1/23/13 11:00 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ant124m
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Makes perfect sense Phone Post
1/23/13 11:04 PM
JOESONDO
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's a lousy fight to judge all women's mma on. It should be brought along more slowly or Rousey should have been given a bigger name opponent. As it stands right now the fight probably won't sell that well and the UFC may drop them after one fight. That sucks. Phone Post
1/23/13 11:20 PM
hendofanforlife
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When it sells just fine and you see the armbar highlight on sports center, they'll announce more. Maybe they're saving Tate for a rematch. Any women other than rousey will probably be undercard material for now
1/23/13 11:37 PM
Chris
349 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, COO

it's interesting...

1/23/13 11:41 PM
Choochy
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hendofanforlife - When it sells just fine and you see the armbar highlight on sports center, they'll announce more. Maybe they're saving Tate for a rematch. Any women other than rousey will probably be undercard material for now
Rousey should be too unless its an FX card.

Co-main at best since she's a champ. Phone Post
1/23/13 11:59 PM
DojoJay
139 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Duh...

1/24/13 12:01 AM
Leghound
217 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/24/13 12:01 AM
Here's to hoping 157 bombs. I just hate wasting fights on a PPV main card for the women's fights, it's just too damn shallow of a talent pool to be paying for
1/24/13 12:09 AM
jaytrainwreck
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Leghound - Here's to hoping 157 bombs. I just hate wasting fights on a PPV main card for the women's fights, it's just too damn shallow of a talent pool to be paying for
The hate is strong with this one. Phone Post
1/24/13 1:03 AM
puss'nmitts
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Or maybe they are not booking any more fights because after this they are gonna stick all those women in a house with Rousey and Cyborg(or Miesha) as the next TUF coaches!
1/24/13 1:09 AM
PR
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Having a women's TUF with the reward being in the first ever women's UFC fight for the first ever women's title would have made much more of a splash than the way BLAF decided to do it.
1/24/13 2:15 AM
BeatonHauff
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

duckhuntgangsta - 
puss'nmitts - Or maybe they are not booking any more fights because after this they are gonna stick all those women in a house with Rousey and Cyborg(or Miesha) as the next TUF coaches!

I would support this and watch that tough. Rousey/Tate TUF would be epic. Those two really don't like each other...plus getting to look at Meisha for 30 minutes is always worth my time :-)

Lol @ being 'epic'

1/24/13 2:18 AM
inf0
302 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1/24/13 2:20 AM
pegson123

I know a couple of matches are already tentavily booked. 

What are we kidding ourselves for. We all know this will be 5 to 10 fights a year max just ike strikeforce. lets get serious 

1/24/13 2:29 AM
GaryColeman

The only way I'm watching it is if they do it nude or at least topless. Phone Post
1/24/13 2:58 AM
Neil Funk

Waaaah I won't buy it because girls are fighting waaah.

You'll be streaming it.

I don't know why people are being such pussies about letting the ladies get their scrap on. Phone Post
1/24/13 3:05 AM
BeatonHauff
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Beacause the talent pool isn't deep enough, and I just personally don't like watching women fighting. There's a reason women's boxing never mixed in with boxing ppvs. Phone Post
1/24/13 4:18 AM
Strategy101

Personally its a bit disappointing to see the reaction from many of the "fans" here (I use the term "fan" loosely as I dont know how you can be a fan of MMA and not like womens MMA).

Honestly, the fights that Invicta has put on, and some of the fights in the last couple years under the Strikeforce banner has produced some of the most entertaining fights I've seen. Personally, I think the UFC has become quite "stale" as has most of mens MMA... too many dudes just trying to "win" (ie Lay N Pray), and not enough emphasis on entertainment. I understand that at the UFC level winning is often more important than excitement, but sometimes the pressure to win creates the fights that pushes fans and more importantly potential fans away.

Personally, I'd rather the UFC shoved womens MMA down our throats, because I think its something people WILL like if its given a fair chance to succeed. However, if its simply given the "we'll try it once and if it doesnt work, we'll move on." approach its likely to fail.

Womens MMA can help expand the market for MMA in general to an audience unreachable before, and the broader the market for MMA as a whole the closer we will be to a major league sport that can viewed for free consistently on network television instead of high priced PPVs(I doubt the PPV format will ever go away entirely, but I think we can get to the point that network shows are put on far more consistently).

But I seem to be in the minority in regards to my affinity for WMMA.
1/24/13 4:32 AM
Coranamo

Prolly waiting to make sure she wins.
1/24/13 4:40 AM
Blunderhooks
156 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm fine with female main event so long as the co-main is five rounds instead of this 3 round boosheeet.

Rhonda only needs 2 rounds anyway so it's not like they risk the broadcast window by making co-main 5. Phone Post
1/24/13 4:55 AM
simonpe

Underground Blog -

White: No more women booked till after UFC 157

[bleacherreport.com]

Dana White, Nick Diaz and Georges St-Pierre are currently in Montreal hyping UFC 158. While no video is up yet, Mike Bohn from MMAMania.com posted a critical note from the festivities on Twitter:

White said that another female fight won't be booked in the UFC until after Ronda Rousey vs. Liz Carmouche at UFC 157.

That is big news for a few reasons.

While Ronda Rousey is the only woman booked for a fight, she is not the only woman employed by the UFC. Miesha Tate announced the same day as Rousey that she was now a part of the UFC. This has led many fans to wonder if White was waiting to see how UFC 157 panned out before booking any other fights.

Those rumblings seem to be true.

read entire article...

Ronda is the only woman booked for a fight? Is she shadow boxing? Or is that really Urijah Faber in drag on the poster? Phone Post
1/24/13 7:46 AM
Y2JB

jaytrainwreck - 
Leghound - Here's to hoping 157 bombs. I just hate wasting fights on a PPV main card for the women's fights, it's just too damn shallow of a talent pool to be paying for
The hate is strong with this one. Phone Post

It's not hate, the guy is just offering his opinion.
1/24/13 8:02 AM
Munk

Strategy is delusional.

Most men don't like women's sports for the simple reason that they are inferior athletes. We watch PRO sports to see men who are the best in the world at that discipline. Unless it's your kids you don't watch sports where you coulde easily walk out there and win it yourself.

As far as reaching a bigger audience with a slower, weaker, less skilled version of men's mma...when has that ever worked in pro sports? WNBA?
1/24/13 10:46 AM
GaryColeman

Munk - Strategy is delusional.

Most men don't like women's sports for the simple reason that they are inferior athletes. We watch PRO sports to see men who are the best in the world at that discipline. Unless it's your kids you don't watch sports where you coulde easily walk out there and win it yourself.

As far as reaching a bigger audience with a slower, weaker, less skilled version of men's mma...when has that ever worked in pro sports? WNBA?
This EXACTLY... Phone Post
1/24/13 10:57 AM
Zed Wayne Zed
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seriously....

Any way you want to slice it,
the consumer and their dollar will dictate the future of WMMA in the UFC.

Money paints a true picture, and we'll see what the paying public says about 157.

I mean, Invicta did 1,000,000,000,000 buys on Ustream.
Just ask the president.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.