UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> How many miles a week do Elite Fighters Run?

1/25/13 4:32 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
NorthFromHere
310 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAViking.com
dahosse - 
12SixElbow -

Boxers seem to do a lot more road work than MMA fighters.

Usually have better gas tanks, too Phone Post

Solid argument as so many top boxers have shown great cardio in their MMA fights. Oh wait...
1/25/13 4:43 AM
Caught_clean
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I remember Carwins training videos before the Brock fight he was up at dawn running every morning. I run but both sides are right really. You can get guys who come into bjj who run 10k several times a week and will gas in 3 times minutes because they dont know how to pace themselves or are just not used to it. Running is important but there are many ways to gain cardio for MMA. Most people gassing in the UFC in a round are doing so due to nerves/adrenaline dumps that go away with experience, or going nuts trying to get a finish in the first.
1/25/13 4:51 AM
MartialArtsMixed
109 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Caught_clean - I remember Carwins training videos before the Brock fight he was up at dawn running every morning. I run but both sides are right really. You can get guys who come into bjj who run 10k several times a week and will gas in 3 times minutes because they dont know how to pace themselves or are just not used to it. Running is important but there are many ways to gain cardio for MMA. Most people gassing in the UFC in a round are doing so due to nerves/adrenaline dumps that go away with experience, or going nuts trying to get a finish in the first.
But if you have marathon cardio, you would still have lungs after the adrenaline dump and nervousness goes away to put up a good fight. Phone Post
1/25/13 6:39 AM
Tilla
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great thread.

What makes running so hard is that it is so boring. But it has massive benefits, as pointed out.
1/25/13 6:41 AM
dahosse
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NorthFromHere -
dahosse - 
12SixElbow -

Solid argument as so many top boxers have shown great cardio in their MMA fights. Oh wait...
No top boxers in their competitive prime have dropped down to mma compete, so this comment makes no sense on any level. Phone Post
1/25/13 6:59 AM
Bisping = PHENOMenal gatekeeper
374 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KZTT_CodyLarge -
in_different - Many dont run. Its not the same kind of cardio. Gsp said he only does mma training and gymnastics for cardio. Weightlifting for looks.

Running is kind of overrated. Great for the heart, but bad for the knees.
I'd love to see the source of this. A:he runs, maybe not much but I've watched him to sprints. And B: no way the sentence "I lift weights just to look good" came out of his mouth lol Phone Post
I've legit saw the video where he says about lifting weights for vanity.Will try and find it. Phone Post
1/25/13 7:05 AM
blaznbison24
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think as others mentioned, running is great for losing weight or mental toughness and teaching your body to relax. I think it's also used largely in part (and especially with boxers) is because the old school guys did it so much. Eventually, I wouldn't be surprised if it's completely phased out as more modern training takes over.

It's a completely different cardio. One of the biggest aspects of an activity is specificity and efficiency. Running will make your running cardio better but will carryover to MMA cardio much less than just doing MMA based stuff.

I knew a guy who was a national distance running champ in college. He could run a 10k in under 28 minutes. Him and a buddy boxed for fun and after a minute, they were sucking wind and falling on the ground. His nearly world class endurance didn't help him a lick in boxing.

Maybe others disagree, but I think MMA guys running for purely a cardio aspect makes as much sense as the East Africans taking MMA classes to help their endurance in long distance running.

1/25/13 7:11 AM
Olive Garden Table For One
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMA is sometimes still stuck in the TMA magic thinking mindset where people believe there's a special secret  to success out there. Guys would rather wear a scuba mask and trane, swing some big ropes, swing kettlebells, do gymnastics, crossfad or any other gimmick rather than doing the hard roadwork that will build a cardio foundation and mental strength.

Gassing in MMA is epidemic. It makes the sport look semi-pro at best--like a Toughman competition, rather than the truest of all sports. 

Fighters should run more. 

Imagine going to a restaurant and paying for dinner, and then the waiter tells you that the chef is too tired to send dessert out. That's what buying an MMA PPV is like.

1/25/13 7:50 AM
HayemakeredByHaye
238 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMA guys are definitely more open to trying different things and sometimes it does seem like they are looking for a magic bullet. Guys like BJ Penn are the worst for it.

"Gassing in MMA is epidemic. It makes the sport look semi-pro at best--like a Toughman competition, rather than the truest of all sports"

It does happen , but nowhere as often than you are making out. The only people who compare it to semi pro toughman are mma fans trying to seem more in the know than everyone else and undeducated boxing people who still think boxers are the best fighters.

It is harder to condition yourself for MMA than boxing, becasue it is harder to grapple and strike than just do one or the other. If you took any human being that has ever lived , it would be easier to get themselves in condition for pure boxing or pure wrestling than both at the same time for an MMA fight.

Fighting on your feet with punches and kicks and then on the ground and then back up again is harder than just fighting on your feet. In fact its much harder.

Then you factor in the nerves, what it can take out of when you get hit etc it is understandable people will gas sometimes.

Conbat sports throw up more things that can damage you and your endurance during the actual competition than any other sport, and MMA throws up more than any other combat sport.

Perhaps UFC should be like NFL the home of the greatest athletes of all time, and give the fighters oxygen in between rounds?
1/25/13 7:56 AM
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/25/13 7:56 AM

The fact of the matter is: far too many MMA fighters are physically unprepared to compete for the duration of the contest they signed up to engage in. It is lack of preparation and lack of respect for themselves, the sport, and the fans who buy tickets. You can find a prettier way of saying that, or a justification, but facts are facts.

1/25/13 8:07 AM
HayemakeredByHaye
238 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am not a mindless fanboy that thinks MMA is perfect. In fact I rarely get excited about MMA anymore. I would rather watch a James Toney or Roberto Duran highlight on youtube than many of the fights that are put on.

All I am saying is guys that train exteremly hard can still gas , and more running wouldnt change that. While I can see where you are coming from , I still think people can be too harsh on them.
1/25/13 8:15 AM
Motivated Penn
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Running for distance has a huge effect on your ability to... run for distance.

It's a different type of endurance you need for MMA.

I'd think for MMA you are better off doing heavy bag/grappling workouts, where you do like 2 minutes of one, then 2 minutes of the other, and do several sets of that. That sort of thing.

Let's say you're a motherfucker at running far. Try running far while tensing your entire body up trying to not fall, while also swinging your hands, drop to the ground and work at getting up while having an outstanding wrestler try to prevent it. You need THAT type of cardio.
1/25/13 8:15 AM
Bloodstorm

Joe_Drogan420 - Umm, that's hard to say.

I'd say an elite level athlete would be running around 5 miles 3-4 times a week.
Most don't run,that long. They do mostly interval sprints and run hills/stairs Phone Post
1/25/13 8:49 AM
whoabro

blaznbison24 - I think as others mentioned, running is great for losing weight or mental toughness and teaching your body to relax. I think it's also used largely in part (and especially with boxers) is because the old school guys did it so much. Eventually, I wouldn't be surprised if it's completely phased out as more modern training takes over.

It's a completely different cardio. One of the biggest aspects of an activity is specificity and efficiency. Running will make your running cardio better but will carryover to MMA cardio much less than just doing MMA based stuff.

I knew a guy who was a national distance running champ in college. He could run a 10k in under 28 minutes. Him and a buddy boxed for fun and after a minute, they were sucking wind and falling on the ground. His nearly world class endurance didn't help him a lick in boxing.

Maybe others disagree, but I think MMA guys running for purely a cardio aspect makes as much sense as the East Africans taking MMA classes to help their endurance in long distance running.

Boom

Boxing is full of broscience btw like 'lifting weights makes you slow' Phone Post
1/25/13 9:05 AM
superCulo

spinningfapkick - Hendo even said he doesn't run for cardio. It's for pussiess. Phone Post
Hendoia fat though Phone Post
1/25/13 9:07 AM
Caught_clean
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MartialArtsMixed - 
Caught_clean - I remember Carwins training videos before the Brock fight he was up at dawn running every morning. I run but both sides are right really. You can get guys who come into bjj who run 10k several times a week and will gas in 3 times minutes because they dont know how to pace themselves or are just not used to it. Running is important but there are many ways to gain cardio for MMA. Most people gassing in the UFC in a round are doing so due to nerves/adrenaline dumps that go away with experience, or going nuts trying to get a finish in the first.
But if you have marathon cardio, you would still have lungs after the adrenaline dump and nervousness goes away to put up a good fight. Phone Post

Have you ever experienced a dump to any extent in any type of competition? It doesn't last a couple minutes and then go away. Ive had BJJ matches where I won the damn match in 45 seconds stepped off the mat and felt like I just rolled for 1 hour straight was physically sick. I still felt like shit in my next match 20 minutes later, but mind you this was my first tournament. Now imagine a UFC debut on National TV or something, and trying to keep those nerves under control.

1/25/13 9:56 AM
Farquit

i'd say they do run but alot of conditioning would come from exercises design to emulate scenarios in a fight running doesnt replicate a fight unless (insert guida or condit joke here). But alot of conditioning would come from grappling,especially wrestling, type drills.

PfcND
:)
1/25/13 10:10 AM
superCulo

Cain or Koscheck (can't remember) once said that him and the AKA crew go on their 3 mile runs and that Cain would keep up with the lighter guys. Phone Post
1/25/13 10:23 AM
Bloodstorm

Olive Garden Table For One -

MMA is sometimes still stuck in the TMA magic thinking mindset where people believe there's a special secret  to success out there. Guys would rather wear a scuba mask and trane, swing some big ropes, swing kettlebells, do gymnastics, crossfad or any other gimmick rather than doing the hard roadwork that will build a cardio foundation and mental strength.

Gassing in MMA is epidemic. It makes the sport look semi-pro at best--like a Toughman competition, rather than the truest of all sports. 

Fighters should run more. 

Imagine going to a restaurant and paying for dinner, and then the waiter tells you that the chef is too tired to send dessert out. That's what buying an MMA PPV is like.

Boxing isnt MMA. Booxers don't use the same muscle groups and energy output as MMA fighters do. Running is necessary for MMA but not long distance. Running 5 miles a day isnt going to transfer over to MMA fighting cardio.

Don't give me the "but it works for Diaz" Does he gas out? No but that is aslo why he got out pointed by. Carlos condient (sp). He out worked diaz with high intensity explosive movements with active rest (his footwork). While Diaz fought at the same pace for five rounds.

There is no other sport like MMA. Nothing that is as physically demanding, taking that kinda punishment, while having to implement such a huge skill set. Sure you can do one simple task like running/biking for hours but your not getting puched, kicked, elbowed. All while using you total body and able to think technically on the fly. Phone Post
1/25/13 10:28 AM
Tilla

Olive Garden Table For One - 

The fact of the matter is: far too many MMA fighters are physically unprepared to compete for the duration of the contest they signed up to engage in. It is lack of preparation and lack of respect for themselves, the sport, and the fans who buy tickets. You can find a prettier way of saying that, or a justification, but facts are facts.

This.

Phil Baroni is one of my all time favourite MMA Fighters, but for somebody who LOOKS like he is in immense shape, he'd be gassed out within a few minutes. How does that happen?
1/25/13 10:28 AM
jmb73
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Blunderhooks - Kalib Starnes runs about 80 miles a week. Phone Post
Ha! Phone Post
1/25/13 10:41 AM
john joe
395 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fighters Only, web/editorial
NorthFromHere - 
dahosse - 
12SixElbow -

not to mention hitting takedowns, getting up after being taken down, escaping the TD effort, sprawling, fighting for underhooks ... no wait..
1/25/13 11:17 AM
Drewout

Edited: 01/25/13 11:17 AM
Long distance running is counter-productive to MMA fighting for most people.

You need to build a base of being able to run 3 miles in under 24 minutes - then you would just run 2-3 miles 1 time a week, but HIIT at least 2 times a week.

Also swimming is way better for overall cardio conditioning.

Train full body functional strength training (Martin Rooney at least 3x a week) it has to be with a plan - maintenance then periodization when you have a fight scheduled - not that Crossfit BS.

Train (not spar - drills,technique - get coached - improve) your effectively at least 1x a week independently - Stand-up (boxing, kickboxing, etc.),Grappling(wrestling-judo), Submissions (separately from your TD's & Defense), Then have an MMA day to mix it up. Hard-Spar 1x a week.

This will help you improve/maintain strength and conditioning, increase your technical ability, and with the sparring let you see your results and train properly for a fight, while still saving your body helping eliminate the chances of injury.

The most fundamental building block for conditioning is maintaining proper nutrition and rest - without nutrients your muscles can't improve or recover - without rest your body will begin to deteriorate and eventually go backwards you will begin to weaken you glands (pituitary, adrenal, etc.) get sick easier, and become injured easier.
1/25/13 11:18 AM
Unseen
155 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NorthFromHere -

The answer is: NOT ENOUGH.

MMA is the only sport where even the top guys aren't physically prepared to compete for the duration for their schedeuled event. 

MMA fighters (generalising) do not spend too much time with S&C, they spend too much time with training gimmicks instead of meat and potatoes conditioning like boxers and wrestlers concern themsevles with. Put down the club/kettle bell and underwater rock and pick up your running shoes.

Boxers fight 3 minute rounds and have 1 minute to rest in between rounds.
Wrestling is usually 2 x 3 minute periods with 1 minute rest in between.
MMA is usually at least 3 x 5 minute rounds with 1 minute rest in between.
Big difference.
The reason boxers run more is because there are two different types if cardio: Aerobic and Anaerobic. The first type is endurance based (marathon, long distance cycling etc) the second is intermittent (wrestling, football).

Both will get you in shape but boxing only requires aerobic. MMA requires both. Many pure wrestlers who are forced to stand and punch for three rounds will gas, but many pure boxers who are put in the ground for three rounds will gas as well. Phone Post
1/25/13 11:21 AM

Tilla - 

This.

Phil Baroni is one of my all time favourite MMA Fighters, but for somebody who LOOKS like he is in immense shape, he'd be gassed out within a few minutes. How does that happen?

Phil admitted that he trains for the mirror, and he smokes. It goes without saying, but I'm a huge fan. If MMA fights were just a single 3 minute round, Phil would be a top 3 Middleweight.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.