UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Atkins diet- ketosis vs. calorie restriction?

2/23/13 10:52 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
WidespreadPanic
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think the confusion with LC dieting is that some people react differently to it, some people do better when they transition into it, some people do better when they only do it for a set amount of time.

What strikes me is that I truly get into a state where I have literally no desire to eat white carbs. I've gone 9 months with no bread, desserts, pizza, pasta, potatoes, or sugar and never felt better. 

There is a trick which keeps you from feeling depleted, though.

2/23/13 11:53 AM
JamesDean57
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

" WidespreadPanic "
" There is a trick which keeps you from feeling depleted, though. "

Can you explain a little?
2/23/13 3:33 PM
RONINXOM
199 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JamesDean57 - " WidespreadPanic "
" There is a trick which keeps you from feeling depleted, though. "

Can you explain a little?
. Phone Post
2/25/13 3:30 PM
comeacrossclean
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm going to guess that the "trick" is to consume more fats in your diet which will leave you feeling full and satisfied between meals.

werd?
2/26/13 11:00 AM
JamesDean57
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

comeacrossclean - I'm going to guess that the "trick" is to consume more fats in your diet which will leave you feeling full and satisfied between meals.

werd?

I agree with this,
" consume more fats in your diet which will leave you feeling full "

But it's going without carbs & sweets that I have a problem with.

When I get my carbs low enough, I have really bad cravings for sweets.
2/28/13 10:15 AM
WidespreadPanic

The thing I'm talking about is not a craving for sweets when in deep 'ketosis'. It's a kind of metallic feeling, of being hammered or suppressed.

Your body can create carbs (gluconeogenesis) or glucose, but perhaps it can't make it quickly enough. 

The craving for something is different from a hunger or desire.

The trick (if you've depleted carbs or 'induction' as Atkins calls it) is to use frozen berries or frozen watermelon.

You only need about one cup or maybe a dozen blueberries 1-2x per day and you can assuage this feeling and stay on plan.

Increasing fats is a way to deal with the craving for more calories, not necessarily for sweets.

$0.02

2/28/13 10:20 AM
WidespreadPanic

IME, you can't use just any fruit, you can't eat too much of it. 100gm of frozen watermelon, a half cup of frozen blueberries does it. Frozen is used because it takes longer to eat it you get some mouth feel (crunchy).

I don't use apples, citrus fruits, or high glycemic fruits.

Though watermelon is high glycemic, it's low caloric so those cancel out. Sweeter melons you could probably use, but you'd eat less.
2/28/13 10:39 AM
JamesDean57

Ok thanks.
3/1/13 10:42 AM
BetJits
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I went out and bought some keyton test strips just to see if the diet was working. The first test after work I was registering on the low side but was producing keytones. I then tested after a mild jiu jitsu session and I read high! So it looks like I've hit ketosis and my body is burning fat for fuel. I'm feeling really good too. Now I just need to get some sustained cardio sessions going to get the weight burning off. I'm just glad to have some verification. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.