UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rampage: "I got cheated out of pay-per-view money"

1/24/13 6:07 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kentpaul
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No fighter should pay a manager more than 10%
1/24/13 6:11 PM
Mdson
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UFC doesn't release PPV numbers officially. The numbers that come to public are ESTIMATES.

At least that's what I've always thought? Please, correct me if I am wrong.
1/24/13 6:14 PM
12SixElbow
606 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mdson - UFC doesn't release PPV numbers officially. The numbers that come to public are ESTIMATES.

At least that's what I've always thought? Please, correct me if I am wrong.

You're correct, they inflate but they do it in a crafty suble way

1/24/13 6:16 PM
robnashville
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rampage's comment stems from the ppv numbers that ufc 71 rampage vs chuck did... dana was saying b4 and after the fight that it was gonna do/did a million buys...final numbers roll in and it only did like 650k buys or so..rampage complained at the time about difference between what was being hyped to the media and what his paycheck was showing.....

1/24/13 6:22 PM
Hong Kong Phooey
670 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RickStorm - 

Make you wonder if he was acually cheated out of money by his past trainer or manager. I forget his name but I remember Rampage said the same thing a few years back when he left..... crap I forget his name.... Juanito maybe?

juanito Ibarra

1/24/13 6:49 PM
time traveling 12er
205 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You also have to consider how ppv numbers are counted in contracts vs how they're counted for publicity. For example in a contract a bar buy may only count as one buy, but for tracking purposes they may count the maximum occupancy of the bar to make the numbers bigger.

I think in Brazil the number of viewers they came up with was based on number of tracked tv's watching the even in Brazil, multiplied by the number of average viewers per tv set in Brazil.
1/24/13 6:53 PM
Bat21
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12SixElbow - 
Bat21 - 
12SixElbow - 

OF COURSE they inflate the numbers, was this ever in question?

Do you have any evidence or sources to back up this statement? Not trying to be a dick, but I'd like to see for myself if this is actually true or if Page is talking out his ass again.

If you feel you need proof you're a fucking idiot. How many lies can you find in 15 minutes directly from Dana White's mouth? He is a fucking fight promoter, and god bless him.  They have no obligation to tell you or me how many PPV sales something did, so if he says something did over 1 million, it might have really done 850K. Who knows, but as a promoter he would be stupid NOT to be exaggeratiing, and since he promotes and exaggerates EVERYTHING else, you are safe to assume he(they) exaggerate that as well.

Perhaps I didn't articulate my question well enough. I'm looking for a source where DFW has exaggerated the PPV numbers for an event where Rampage fought. If you have none, that's fine. Making blanket statements such as yours without any empirical evidence to back it up usually means its just your opinion, which is okay.

1/24/13 7:04 PM
SupesUp
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The ppv company gets a cut of all buys as well I'm pretty sure, ufc doesn't keep all that money so there would have to be some official numbers somewhere even if us fans don't get them.
If that's the case I can't imagine anyone getting screwed on their ppv points if those numbers exist somewhere legally.
No? Phone Post
1/24/13 7:07 PM
HandyDarsh
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12SixElbow -
3 Sided Square -  UFC PPV numbers are like a girl starting a rumor about what you're packing.

If she overestimates you aren't going to come out and correct her.

If she underestimates you come out and say she's never seen (the numbers) it and just guessing but way off.

You still never have to give a specific answer. Phone Post

/thread

Hahah I like that Phone Post
1/24/13 7:15 PM
time traveling 12er
205 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SupesUp -  The ppv company gets a cut of all buys as well I'm pretty sure, ufc doesn't keep all that money so there would have to be some official numbers somewhere even if us fans don't get them.
If that's the case I can't imagine anyone getting screwed on their ppv points if those numbers exist somewhere legally.
No? Phone Post

I don't think it matters. Sounds like Rampages issue is that he's not getting the ppv cut from a guessed imaginary PPV amount that Dana says might happen while hyping a fight.

Dana on TV: Man this card is great. I think we're going to do 1 million buys!

Rampage: Damn! I get 1$ per buy, that's 1 million dollars!

(Fight gets 640k. Rampage gets 640k check.)

Rampage: WTF!? Where's the rest of my mother fucking money? They're taking money right out of my pocket! Treating me like a goddamn slave!
1/24/13 7:26 PM
BJ bashed into McDs mincemeat
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RickStorm -

Make you wonder if he was acually cheated out of money by his past trainer or manager. I forget his name but I remember Rampage said the same thing a few years back when he left..... crap I forget his name.... Juanito maybe?

Juanita Ibarra Phone Post
1/24/13 7:30 PM
Lynchman
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don_Dada - From http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/01/rampage-says-ufc-bridge-burned-looking-forward-to-next-career-chapter

"I can go with my savings and go back to Memphis and have a regular life with family and kids and stuff," he said. "Let people that take advantage of me, tell me my pay-per-view numbers did this number, but then tell the press that the pay-per-view numbers did higher. I'd rather make less money than feel like I went out there and put my life on the line and feel like I got cheated out of pay-per-view numbers."

I thought this was interesting. As it either means Rampage really did get cheated out of PPV, which i doubt, or that the UFC are inflating the numbers that they release to the media.

Or of course Rampage could be talking out his ass, but i highly doubt he would be throwing around those kind of accusations without something to base it on.

When did the UFC announce PPV numbers?

Also, according to a number of sources, fighters have the right to request an audit of the books.

It is also worth noting that the Couture situation showed that PPV money is paid out over a period of time as the UFC get paid for replays and whatnot.

Dave Meltzer often reports numbers, but he states they come from a number of sources that he has cultivated over the years. Dana may feed him stuff, but then wouldn't Meltzer report higher figures? He has reported some pretty bad numbers over the years and wrote about the Silva/Sonnen rematch failing to meet the company expectations.

But the only time I remember the UFC disclosing numbers were during the Couture battle and that was to prove that Randy was lying about how much he made.
1/24/13 8:45 PM
12SixElbow
606 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SupesUp -  The ppv company gets a cut of all buys as well I'm pretty sure, ufc doesn't keep all that money so there would have to be some official numbers somewhere even if us fans don't get them.
No? Phone Post

Exactly.

Its not public info, but Dana and Lorenzo have both stated that every single UFC fighter who gets a PPV cut can have the lawyers request a copy or come look in the books at all the official numbers. The UFC has them, and the PPV company has them, so there is no way (Or it would be very diffecult) for them to cheat a fighter out of PPV cuts

1/24/13 9:02 PM
JerodR
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If Rampage really got "cheated" then we would all be talking about Rampages lawsuit... Instead everyone is just talking about Rampage complaining which isn't exactly news.

Now lawyer, no lawsuit= Talking out his ass...
1/25/13 7:12 PM
MattyECB
124 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UFC never release PPV buys, that why ppl like the wrestling observer dude are so followed. Ppl use a ton of techniques to try and guesstimate it.

Page is just being a whiny bitch. He's still one of my favorite fighters, one of my favorite interviews, and I love his interviews, wishin him nothing but the best, but I've learned to just ignore his complaints now lol
1/25/13 8:00 PM
grafzep
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fuck i wish he would just go away

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.