UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Is Floyd Mayweather the best conditioned combat...

1/24/13 6:51 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Tilla
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Athlete on the planet, at the moment? Dude has a ridiculous work ethic and gas tank to match.
1/24/13 6:56 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
586 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maybe. Hard to say. He always forces his opponents to fight at his pace as well, so he never has to worry about being pushed so that he can't handle it. Kind of like GSP. Phone Post
1/24/13 6:57 PM
Outlaw'd by Lytle

He's up there with the likes of Bisping. Phone Post
1/24/13 6:58 PM
Tilla

OnlyTheStrongSurvive -  Maybe. Hard to say. He always forces his opponents to fight at his pace as well, so he never has to worry about being pushed so that he can't handle it. Kind of like GSP. Phone Post

In the Cotto fight, that was the busiest that I've seen Floyd in a LONG time. He really upped his work rate in that fight.
1/24/13 6:58 PM
StrikingMMA
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No. Boxing only conditioning is nothing like MMA conditiong.
1/24/13 7:05 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
586 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tilla -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive -  Maybe. Hard to say. He always forces his opponents to fight at his pace as well, so he never has to worry about being pushed so that he can't handle it. Kind of like GSP. Phone Post

In the Cotto fight, that was the busiest that I've seen Floyd in a LONG time. He really upped his work rate in that fight.
Yeah that was a great, fast paced fight. Phone Post
1/24/13 7:07 PM
StrikingMMA
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bouncing around throwing punches will never use all of your muscles the way grappling does.
1/24/13 7:11 PM
Authority Figure

He can run, punch and move for ridiculous amounts of time.

No way to really know, but he's definitely up there. Phone Post
1/24/13 7:13 PM
AussieMayhem

StrikingMMA - No. Boxing only conditioning is nothing like MMA conditiong.
This Phone Post
1/24/13 7:16 PM
WestCoastMexican

MMA is complete body conditioning the edge is always going to to fighters like GSP who fight for 25 minutes using every muscle they have. Phone Post
1/24/13 7:16 PM
Hikikomori
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes!!!

Heres Floyd riding his bike thru Lorenzo Fertitta's neighborhood after getting out of jail.

Floyd is the best conditioned athlete period. NBA Players are better conditioned athletes than MMA fighters.
1/24/13 7:20 PM
Tilla

StrikingMMA - Bouncing around throwing punches will never use all of your muscles the way grappling does.

I've always found HARD pad work a lot tougher than HARD grappling.
1/24/13 7:28 PM
Mike Morris
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maybe boxer but not athlete. Phone Post
1/24/13 7:31 PM
Tilla

Nucky - 
Tilla - 
StrikingMMA - Bouncing around throwing punches will never use all of your muscles the way grappling does.

I've always found HARD pad work a lot tougher than HARD grappling.

bullshit you musta never wrestled a day in your life. were the guys you did wrestle at least D1 lvl?

Judo. I've never wrestled before because it doesn't exist in my country.
1/24/13 7:45 PM
Tilla

gamer - "NBA Players are better conditioned athletes than MMA fighters"

LOL you are simply delusional

An MMA bout is a non stop 5 mintues of brutal physical and emotional tolls. It goes on for 3 or 5 rounds

Striking, grappling, clinching etc

You are using your whole body for combat. Its extranious work on the body and mind

Only the baddest of mother fuckers can fight at a high level. You have to have the heart and savagery for it!

Mean while an NBA player jogs up and down a small court. There are many breaks inbetween plays. Commericials too etc

Cut out all the bullshit and how much time does an NBA players actually spend running during a game. Very little! Same is the case with football

Most big goofy NBA players will just sit in the paint all game as well!

Put an NBA player in an MMA match and he gasses within seconds or gets his spirits broken within the first punch that lands on him from a high level MMA fighter

Roy Nelson looks like obese. MMA isn't all it's cracked up to be..
1/24/13 7:48 PM
Hikikomori
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LMFAO!!!!

Do you realize how many fucking people die each year from playing a pick up game of basketball? Before you laugh shit off you should know what youre talking about first. LOL @ jog up and down the court. I guess thats how all of those heart attacks happen, eh?
1/24/13 7:56 PM
Hikikomori

College Athletes and Sudden Cardiac Death: Why Do Male Basketball Players Have Such a High Risk?
MATTHEW PHILIPS
08/23/2011 | 12:15 pm

Photo: Schlüsselbein2007
There's an interesting story in today's Wall Street Journal, by Katherine Hobson about a new method some cardiologists have come up with to better diagnose life-threatening heart conditions among student athletes. Apparently, since the hearts of well-conditioned athletes sometimes put out more electrical voltage than average, their ECG's can often look like that of someone with a heart problem. This has led to an underestimation of the risks that sudden cardiac death (SCD) poses to student athletes, according to the study, even though it's their leading medical cause of death during exercise. The findings were published this month in the American Heart Association journal Circulation. You can read the abstract here.
What really caught my eye though was an info-graphic the WSJ ran next to the story. Using data from Circulation, the graphic depicts the overall rates of SCD, from high to low, per year from 2004 to 2008 among NCAA college athletes, broken out by different sports. I've reproduced it in a table below:

Overall Men Women
Basketball 1 in 11,394 1 in 6,993 1 in 37,799
Swimming 1 in 21,293 1 in 34,552 1 in 16,457
Lacrosse 1 in 23,357 1 in 19,770 1 in 30,531
Football 1 in 38,497 1 in 38,497 N/A
Cross-Country 1 in 41,695 1 in 59,484 1 in 32,801

Why, I wonder, do male basketball players have such an abnormally high rate of SCD compared to other athletes? And why do female swimmers rate so high as well?

http://www.freakonomics.com/2011/08/23/college-athletes-and-sudden-cardiac-death-why-do-male-basketball-players-have-such-a-high-risk/
1/24/13 7:57 PM
Hikikomori

digitdigit - 
Hikikomori - LMFAO!!!!

Do you realize how many fucking people die each year from playing a pick up game of basketball? Before you laugh shit off you should know what youre talking about first. LOL @ jog up and down the court. I guess thats how all of those heart attacks happen, eh?

I told myself I would never let someones stupidity stump me again, boy was I mistaken. You Sir, have out done yourself...Calo?

Dont try me, Homeboy!
1/24/13 8:02 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive

gamer - "NBA Players are better conditioned athletes than MMA fighters"

LOL you are simply delusional

An MMA bout is a non stop 5 mintues of brutal physical and emotional tolls. It goes on for 3 or 5 rounds

Striking, grappling, clinching etc

You are using your whole body for combat. Its extranious work on the body and mind

Only the baddest of mother fuckers can fight at a high level. You have to have the heart and savagery for it!

Mean while an NBA player jogs up and down a small court. There are many breaks inbetween plays. Commericials too etc

Cut out all the bullshit and how much time does an NBA players actually spend running during a game. Very little! Same is the case with football

Most big goofy NBA players will just sit in the paint all game as well!

Put an NBA player in an MMA match and he gasses within seconds or gets his spirits broken within the first punch that lands on him from a high level MMA fighter
They spend 48 minutes playing basketball. The clock stops every time they do stop briefly for anything (free throws, timeouts, inbounding the ball) so they actually do spend the entire game actually playing basketball, which actually does include almost non-stop sprinting and explosive movements and jumping. They cannot really stall or just pass and play keep away because there is a 24 second shot clock.

Would an NBA player tire quickly trying to grapple with an mma fighter? Of course. Drop an mma fighter in a game with the 07 Suns and they are likely in need of a break in just a couple minutes as well. They are completely different, one undergoes 8 weeks of preparation for one big night, whereas the other puts their body (legs/knees, specifically) through an NBA game for several months.

I'm not sure how you could even compare the two, but from some of your comments I seriously doubt you have watched enough NBA games to know what you are talking about if ever a whole game at all.

PS - NBA players have run marathons. You also called your favorite fighter a "clueless tard" and never returned to the thread. Phone Post
1/24/13 8:03 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive

Kingfanpaul -

What about Nick Diaz?

He's up there for sure. Phone Post
1/24/13 8:04 PM
orcus

Doesn't Pacquiao keep up a much higher volume than Floyd? And he's more aggressive than Floyd. Imo this shows better conditioning.

For example, in Floyd/Marquez and Pac/Marquez III, Floyd threw 493 punches, Pacman 578.

1/24/13 8:10 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive

gamer - I play basketball like its nothing

We go at it hard too. Its nothing. I hardly even brake a sweet

One class of BJJ exhausts me more then 5 basketball games combined

Some dont understand how demanding on your body grappling is.

Picture trying to grapple while being punched or having your limbs broken too

Also, and a little off topic, lets take a look at the Shogun vs Hendo fight

What Hendo and Shogun went through during their 5 round grueling battle for the ages is something else

The cardio and heart it took for Shogun to keep pushing on, only to dominate down the stretch, is indesribeable

No other American show sport athlete from any other show sport has come close to enduring the physical and emotional toll of that fight

No other "conditioned" athlete makes it out the first of that fight

Hell, when NBA or football players get into a fight during a game, they throw a couple punches like how a girl would, and then they gass out

MMA FIGHTERS are truly the best "athletes" in the world

They are the toughest, most battle hardened , most functionally conditioned for combat athletes in the world and they are more skilled with their hands, and feet then any american show sport "athlete" is
95% of this post has nothing to do with anything else that has been said in this thread. You are also lying about playing basketball. Phone Post
1/24/13 8:24 PM
KingOfFighters

StrikingMMA - No. Boxing only conditioning is nothing like MMA conditiong.

Ding ding ding! someone's never been in a boxing gym.
1/24/13 9:03 PM
PrettyBoy
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Floyd is amazing but he is efficient. If day Sergio Martinez is better conditioned. Floyd is just the more technically sound better schooled smarter fighter. Phone Post
1/25/13 8:54 AM
KingOfFighters

Pete Southhammer - 
StrikingMMA - No. Boxing only conditioning is nothing like MMA conditiong.

you're right... it's harder.

You know mma ripped a lot of boxings conditioning techniques right?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.