UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Who is Tougher: Mma Fighter or U.S. Marine ?

1/25/13 10:12 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
mikerobmma
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_mrzipplokk -

Ok, I see.

I think the 'swagger' is built into the machine. You have to have some cockiness in your confidence.  I used to hang out with a bunch of Seals at Little Creek in Va Beach. Talk about cocky. But it's all part of the package.

anyway, thanks for the reply.

No probs brotha Phone Post
1/25/13 10:18 AM
show no mercy
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i dont know about marines, but my best friend is a green beret, and ive gone to see him at fort bragg a few times, and theres some tough mofos there. some of the coolest guys ever too.

aside from enson inoue i dont know too many fighters who come to the ring prepared to die, but i know the armed forces do
1/25/13 10:24 AM
RayRaysFunhouse
132 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

To sum up all of mikerobmma's posts: "I was in the Army so I hate Marines and the Marine mentality."

I've honestly never seen a post from you before, I don't dislike you, nor do I hold it against you that you're a current/former Army soldier. My brother is a current soldier, and I honestly applaud you for your service, sincerely.
That being said, everything you've said toward Marines has been biased and borderline disrespectful. I'm not the first to point it out. It's like you hold a personal vendetta against another American that serves in the military, and it's leaning toward you feeling that way because they're in a branch that you're not affiliated with.
I feel like if the thread title had been "Air Force or mma fighter, which is tougher?" you'd be bashing the Air Force.
Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I'm not. On one final note, you said "not everyone that signed up to serve deserves respect." I couldn't possibly disagree more. I know there are horrible people in the military, but even they deserve even the least bit of credit for signing the dotted line. Phone Post
1/25/13 10:36 AM
mikerobmma
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RayRaysFunhouse - To sum up all of mikerobmma's posts: "I was in the Army so I hate Marines and the Marine mentality."

I've honestly never seen a post from you before, I don't dislike you, nor do I hold it against you that you're a current/former Army soldier. My brother is a current soldier, and I honestly applaud you for your service, sincerely.
That being said, everything you've said toward Marines has been biased and borderline disrespectful. I'm not the first to point it out. It's like you hold a personal vendetta against another American that serves in the military, and it's leaning toward you feeling that way because they're in a branch that you're not affiliated with.
I feel like if the thread title had been "Air Force or mma fighter, which is tougher?" you'd be bashing the Air Force.
Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I'm not. On one final note, you said "not everyone that signed up to serve deserves respect." I couldn't possibly disagree more. I know there are horrible people in the military, but even they deserve even the least bit of credit for signing the dotted line. Phone Post
Two of my training partners are Air Force active duty actually. And I hold no grudge against their service branch. Except for the fact that they have good looking women. Which one of them even jokes about himself.

But whatever. I summed up my post quite nicely, I thought. If you want to turn what I said on its ear then that's your decision. I compared the perception to other inaccurate perceptions, but whatever.

And no, they don't deserve your applause just for signing up. Had you served, you would understand that. And I don't hold it against you for not serving before you decide that's what I'm saying. Phone Post
1/25/13 10:40 AM
JolietJake
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

"The safest place in Korea was right behind a platoon of Marines. Lord, how they could fight!"

MGen. Frank E. Lowe, USA; Korea, 26 January 1952

"Why in hell can't the Army do it if the Marines can. They are the same kind of men; why can't they be like Marines."

Gen. John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, USA; 12 February 1918

"I have just returned from visiting the Marines at the front, and there is not a finer fighting organization in the world!"

General of the Armies Douglas MacArthur; Korea, 21 September 1950

Maybe this is why certain Marines have the mentality of douchebag jocks. We're good and we know it. :)

With all BS aside, the American Military and everyone serving, regardless of branch, deserves the utmost respect. Not everyone does it and there's a reason for that.

Semper Fi Mac
Sgt USMC 1988-1993
1/25/13 10:44 AM
JolietJake

"We have two companies of Marines running rampant all over the northern half of this island, and three Army regiments pinned down in the southwestern corner, doing nothing. What the hell is going on?"

Gen. John W. Vessey Jr., USA, Chairman of the the Joint Chiefs of Staff
during the assault on Grenada, 1983

"Lying offshore, ready to act, the presence of ships and Marines sometimes means much more than just having air power or ship's fire, when it comes to deterring a crisis. And the ships and Marines may not have to do anything but lie offshore. It is hard to lie offshore with a C-141 or C-130 full of airborne troops."

Gen. Colin Powell, U. S. Army
Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff
During Operation Desert Storm

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth- and the amusing thing about it is that they are."

Father Kevin Keaney
1st Marine Division Chaplain
Korean War

OK, I'm done now. Carry on. :)
1/25/13 10:48 AM
iamarealamerican
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

seeing as marines are trained specifically to KILL other human beings using all sorts of tools,

i would use my limited brain functioning capabilities to deduce that Marines have the edge here
1/25/13 10:50 AM
Wizgub
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Im gonna go ahead and say mma if they are high level (ufc) fighter. I think the VAST VAST majority of ufc fighters would breeze usmc training and be able to serve, very few Usmc's would be able to go into the ufc though.

If you were to argue something like the rangers, british royal marine commandos etc then perhaps a diff kettle but i would say for toughness USMC isnt as "tough" as a UFC fighter. You dont need to be tough to catch a bullet. Brave yes and no doubt all USMCs are exceptionally brave but bravery shouldnt be confused with toughness Phone Post
1/25/13 10:51 AM
theshooter
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMA fighters are easily tougher than marines on average. Most marines never even see combat.
1/25/13 10:57 AM
Chupacabro
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It takes a bit more toughness to walk through the mountains knowing that there's a better than average shot you could step on a mine or be ambushed by suicidal jihadists, than it does to train and fight for money in a structured invironment, with a referee that is trained to intervene and save your life if need be.

Ok, it takes a LOT more toughness. Phone Post
1/25/13 11:14 AM
3 Sided Square
426 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thebigblastula - I have seen too many Marines/Army guys get KO'd to have an image of them as "tough" in my head.

Pure toughness, as a concept, I go fighter. Marines don't deal with broken noses and continuing on, marines don't lose and have to rethink everything, etc.

In a fight for my life, I go Marine, because they have knife and gun experience that the fighter doesn't, and the same way the fighter would whoop the Marine's ass 100/100 times because he just knows better technique, a Marine will outperform (and kill) a fighter there 100/100 times.
Lol. Phone Post
1/25/13 11:15 AM
3 Sided Square
426 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jon Jones

John Jones

Phone Post
1/25/13 11:32 AM
3 Sided Square

TOAO - Monks are tougher Phone Post
Phone Post
1/25/13 12:17 PM
mmaguy30
193 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

theshooter - MMA fighters are easily tougher than marines on average. Most marines never even see combat.

Marine Corps motto: Semper Fidelis

Secondary Marine Corps motto; EVERY Marine a Rifleman"

While you are correct that MANY (not most) Marines do not engage in active combat in line infantry units, ALL are prepared to.

I take issue with your use of the words "easily" and "most"

I would also guess that you have done neither.

I don't mean this disrespectfully, I simply point out the lack of experience you have that brings you to your opinions... If I am wrong I apologize.
1/25/13 12:27 PM
bknumber1
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mikerobmma -
UGCTT_mrzipplokk -

Not sure why you keep pushing your opinion here mikeerobmma ? Just curious, have you had a bad incident with a Marine in the past ?

It's obvious you are tough. Don't think anyone is doubting that here.

Oh no, nothing of the sort. I've known a few current and ex-marines, solid dudes for sure. Some are fighters, and good ones at that.

No, it's more of the whole perception thing. You see, I spent close to 9 years in the Army, combat engineer, Iraq twice. I was always annoyed with the perception that every Marine is a badass, and every Marine is on the frontline. It's similar to the idea that every person who has deployed is a hero. It's inaccurate to say the least.

Just like the Army has Infantry and Spec Ops, as well as other soldiers who end up in the shit, there are plenty of people who deployed, sat on a FOB, and lifted weights the whole time. Nothing against them, but don't think that they were involved in hard combat when they weren't. To make it simple: someone always has it much worse.

Also, not every person who served deserves respect. There are plenty of bad people in the military, just like every other walk of life.

On a side note, there is a mentality that approaches something like a douchebag jock in certain Marines, and I find it aggravating. The same could be said of certain Airborne soldiers (and similar groups). Phone Post
There it is. He feels like a second class citizen because he went in the Army and not the Corps. And I bet a Marine took his girlfriend back in the day too.

I keeeeeeeed! Phone Post
1/25/13 12:28 PM
UGCTT_mrzipplokk
401 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
theshooter - MMA fighters are easily tougher than marines on average. Most marines never even see combat.

Grammar is a not your strongpoint ?

1/25/13 1:03 PM
Wizgub
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

madmaxej9 -
Forever12er -  Mma fighters. In one year which has the most output of energy and which is in the most pain.

Dying for your country doesn't make you tough, but it sure does make you a god damn hero! Phone Post

Damn, Afghanistan and Iraq must have a shit load of heros...considering how many of their folks died for their country...
Never forget Phone Post
1/25/13 1:32 PM
mikerobmma

bknumber1 -
mikerobmma -
UGCTT_mrzipplokk -

Not sure why you keep pushing your opinion here mikeerobmma ? Just curious, have you had a bad incident with a Marine in the past ?

It's obvious you are tough. Don't think anyone is doubting that here.

Oh no, nothing of the sort. I've known a few current and ex-marines, solid dudes for sure. Some are fighters, and good ones at that.

No, it's more of the whole perception thing. You see, I spent close to 9 years in the Army, combat engineer, Iraq twice. I was always annoyed with the perception that every Marine is a badass, and every Marine is on the frontline. It's similar to the idea that every person who has deployed is a hero. It's inaccurate to say the least.

Just like the Army has Infantry and Spec Ops, as well as other soldiers who end up in the shit, there are plenty of people who deployed, sat on a FOB, and lifted weights the whole time. Nothing against them, but don't think that they were involved in hard combat when they weren't. To make it simple: someone always has it much worse.

Also, not every person who served deserves respect. There are plenty of bad people in the military, just like every other walk of life.

On a side note, there is a mentality that approaches something like a douchebag jock in certain Marines, and I find it aggravating. The same could be said of certain Airborne soldiers (and similar groups). Phone Post
There it is. He feels like a second class citizen because he went in the Army and not the Corps. And I bet a Marine took his girlfriend back in the day too.

I keeeeeeeed! Phone Post
Ah snap!

Lol. Phone Post
1/25/13 3:26 PM
UGCTT_mrzipplokk
401 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator

Mike Rob, a side question. I looked at your record of Pro and Ammy fights.  How did they determine what was an ammy fight, and what was a Pro fight ? Who was the sanctioning body ? And lastly, is there really any difference in the actual fight, between Pro n Ammy in your opinion ?

Thanx sir.

1/25/13 4:16 PM
mikerobmma

UGCTT_mrzipplokk - 

Mike Rob, a side question. I looked at your record of Pro and Ammy fights.  How did they determine what was an ammy fight, and what was a Pro fight ? Who was the sanctioning body ? And lastly, is there really any difference in the actual fight, between Pro n Ammy in your opinion ?

Thanx sir.

My amateur experience was different than most, especially considering the transition to pro.

Let me point out that I started later than most. I had just turned 24 when I began MMA training, and it wasn't until a year later till I finally took my first BJJ class.

As you can see, the first 5 were all "NSF." Those were in Missouri which had no official ABC body governing MMA at the time. They were sanctioned by the ISCF which runs amateur rules very differently. The only real difference they have is no elbows to the head. Knees to the head and all subs are a go, as well as elbows to the body. Despite that, no ABC body, so NSF.

The last two amateur fights were after I went to Ft. Jackson, SC. I took a lot of time of training and trying to get better. Those two were sanctioned in SC, which has ABC body governing MMA (as a matter of fact, it had been approved less than a year earlier). So those show up as "official."

The difference between amateur and pro is significant to me, but the rules for amateurs may make the difference less. For example, in SC you can headkick in amateur fights, but no knees to the head, no elbows period, and no lower body attacks except for kneebars. In NC, you cannot headkick, but all lower body locks are a go. The ability to do everything in pro MMA is a big difference. The time difference (from 3 to five minute rounds) is significant. I never gassed out as hard as I did in my first pro fight. The ability to actually get fights is also different. Since it involves being paid, then the promoter is less likely to want you on the card, even if it is dirt cheap at 250/250.

This was especially problematic for me, as I only had two fights in SC, so I wasn't considered a draw, and thus promoters were not very interested in signing me on. Getting a manager helped me out though. Now after putting on a great fight against Kevin Forant, getting fights isn't the issue that it was before. But still it is much easier to get fights as an amateur, since it costs the promoter nothing.

I suppose that the ways they are similiar are that I felt the same anxiety I did as an amateur as I do a pro. I took fights just as serious as an amateur, since I considered them to be a validation for me to turn pro. Plus, in states like SC, the rule difference isn't significant to the point where fans can tell the difference. Most fans probably have no idea that they were watching amateurs fight. Now in states like PA and GA they were shin pads, so the fans know that it's different. That's probably why they put on more pro fights.

Hope that answer isn't too long, but the difference between amateur and pro is a topic I have a lot of experience with.

On a side note, states are adding regulations that state you must have a certain number of "official" fights to turn pro. In SC you have to have a minimum of 6. Of course, if you're already pro then you're good regardless.

1/25/13 4:20 PM
mmaguy30
193 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mike and that explanation is the very reason I go round and round with the commission here in SC on a monthly basis...

I was in Columbia at the beginning of the month... you looked good.
1/25/13 4:36 PM
Since93

This is thread is embarrassing Jesus Christ what kind of pre-pubescent teen created this shit and look at the serious answers what a fucking clusterfuck Phone Post
1/25/13 8:24 PM
Forever12er

madmaxej9 -
Forever12er -  Mma fighters. In one year which has the most output of energy and which is in the most pain.

Dying for your country doesn't make you tough, but it sure does make you a god damn hero! Phone Post

Damn, Afghanistan and Iraq must have a shit load of heros...considering how many of their folks died for their country...
One mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter. Phone Post
1/25/13 10:12 PM
mikerobmma

mmaguy30 - Mike and that explanation is the very reason I go round and round with the commission here in SC on a monthly basis...

I was in Columbia at the beginning of the month... you looked good.

Thanks man, that's the most comfortable I've felt in the cage. 2013 is starting off strong for me and I think that I'm ready to do some big things.

1/26/13 1:43 AM
blacksamurai

UGCTT_mrzipplokk -

Marine. facing death doesn't equate to having a fight imo.

Ask the kids family from of the guy from South Dakota that died from getting triangled if he isn't a hero see how that works out for you its no calling in airstrikes and artillery in a fight and most cases the commissions make sure you're evenly matched...

If you think Marines, and Al Queda is a even match up you're smoking dope... Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.