UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> can J-Lau play point-game if he really wanted to

1/25/13 5:34 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
circulation123
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ALL of his UFC wins has come via submission or KO/TKO.
I don’t think he wants to and lot of people, including myself, don’t want Joe to play point game in the fight. When I say point game, I mean both on stand up (hit and run style fight) and on ground (dominating top control, going for take down for points). I think his style right now fits perfectly well for him not just for exciting fights but to actually win fights.

My question is this-is playing so-called “point game” a specific skill in the MMA? I think it obviously is. And if so, does J-Lau possess that skill? Not that he wants to. But if the decision is made by his coaches to play point game, can J-Lau execute it?
1/25/13 5:37 AM
Tom Lawlor
483 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't think so, it just isn't in him. If he fought like that maybe he would win some that he lost, and maybe he would lose some that he won. I think your analysis about his style fitting him is perfect. Phone Post
1/25/13 5:39 AM
Tom Lawlor
483 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And I don't mean it "not being in him" to be a bad thing, but rather the opposite. His bonus money speaks for itself. Phone Post
1/25/13 5:44 AM
in_different
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It has a big possibility of going the wrong way. I love Miguel Torres, but his career really went the wrong way when he did that.

Lauzon shouldn't change a thing. He has the skillset to win anyone on any given night. He may not win every fight, but he wins most and he CAN win any
1/25/13 5:44 AM
Bisping KOd by CHRIST

Edited: 01/25/13 5:45 AM
Is point fighting looked down on as a bad thing in the fighter community?
1/25/13 5:51 AM
VictorG

Point fighting aint as fun to watch as a fight were someone is trying to finish. Phone Post
1/25/13 6:04 AM
Tom Lawlor

Bisping KOd by CHRIST - Is point fighting looked down on as a bad thing in the fighter community?
Yes, and I'm self loathing. Phone Post
1/25/13 6:17 AM
bigbenpie
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub for Joe!

Oh yeah you're fucking awesome too Lawlor! Phone Post
1/25/13 6:27 AM
time traveling 12er
189 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maybe if he had a stroke or got neutered or something.
1/25/13 6:44 AM
circulation123

Tom Lawlor -  And I don't mean it "not being in him" to be a bad thing, but rather the opposite. His bonus money speaks for itself. Phone Post

Tom, what do you think about Frankie Edgar’s style?

I personally would like fighters to go for finish aggressively but I understand that it can sometimes leave you open to counters and I appreciate that.

I actually don’t mind Frankie’s style. I obviously prefer fighters to go for finish but I have to admit it is amazing to watch his footwork and I do think it is an art in some sense. I don’t think he is just “running” as some critics might say. I know not everyone thinks the same way though.

What do you think?
1/25/13 7:02 AM
Tom Lawlor

Finishing high level guys is a very tough thing to do. As long as guys are TRYING to inflict damage, then I see no problem with any type of fighting style. If someone is trying to attack, but their opponent is able to evade and not capitalize then the attacker shouldn't be looked at as a point fighter/boring. Frankie doesn't finish everyone because he is fighting really really tough guys, he has finished others and is continually moving and on the offensive.

1/25/13 7:08 AM
Kirik
1732 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor

Joe could stick and move all day. His heart won't let him though, and the sport is a lot richer for it.

1/25/13 7:35 AM
XcessiveZ
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hope not.The guy puts on some of the most exciting fights in MMA everytime he fights it seems, whether he wins or loses. Phone Post
1/25/13 7:44 AM
circulation123

XcessiveZ -  I hope not.The guy puts on some of the most exciting fights in MMA everytime he fights it seems, whether he wins or loses. Phone Post

What do you think about Frankie Edgar’s style though? Obviously not everyone is a big fan of his.
1/25/13 8:04 AM
SonnendbySilva
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've said it before and stick by it, I think a some people fight to not lose rather than fight to win. And in an organisation that if u lose 3 on the bounce then u will most likely get cut so can't really blame them. And not only that, if they are fighting someone else who is reluctant to engage as much and take as many risks then u have less chance of capitalising on a mistake. Sort of went off point but I'd just like to say, Joe, don't change your style. Phone Post
1/25/13 9:04 AM
Joe Lauzon
795 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Twitter, Director of Awesome
circulation123 - ALL of his UFC wins has come via submission or KO/TKO.
I don’t think he wants to and lot of people, including myself, don’t want Joe to play point game in the fight. When I say point game, I mean both on stand up (hit and run style fight) and on ground (dominating top control, going for take down for points). I think his style right now fits perfectly well for him not just for exciting fights but to actually win fights.

My question is this-is playing so-called “point game” a specific skill in the MMA? I think it obviously is. And if so, does J-Lau possess that skill? Not that he wants to. But if the decision is made by his coaches to play point game, can J-Lau execute it?
Could I physically edge people out? Absolutely. But I would never do that when limbs are calling my name and begging me to rip them off. Phone Post
1/25/13 10:54 AM
sacredhate
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i still miss Chris Lytle a ton. Lauzon is one of my favorites because i know i'm always getting my money's worth when he's on the schedule.
1/25/13 10:57 AM
3rdLion
229 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joe Lauzon - 

Could I physically edge people out? Absolutely. But I would never do that when limbs are calling my name and begging me to rip them off. Phone Post

I wish every fighter had this attitude.

VTFU
1/25/13 10:59 AM
Got MMAlk

sacredhate - i still miss Chris Lytle a ton. Lauzon is one of my favorites because i know i'm always getting my money's worth when he's on the schedule.
Damn right! Phone Post
1/25/13 11:01 AM
UGCTT_Jay Edz
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joe Lauzon -

That was an awesome reply Phone Post
1/25/13 11:04 AM
TheReflectionOfPerfection

Joe Lauzon -

This is why I haven't missed a lauzon fight since I first saw one Phone Post
1/25/13 12:24 PM
Chupacabro
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone who has a problem with Frankie Edgar needs an ass whipping. That dude is a fighter. Phone Post
1/25/13 2:26 PM
Billyz
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Step one have post made about you.
Step Two: Answer confirming why everyone loves you
Step Three: Keep doing what your doing and getting those well deserved bonuses

You sir are one of the only sure bets in MMA. Its always going to be exciting with you in the cage
1/25/13 6:37 PM
circulation123

Joe Lauzon - 

Thanks for the response. I have been watching MMA for a while now but I don’t get on MMA forums that much so I have to admit I get all giddy when an actual UFC fighter responds to regular Joe like me.

Prior to posting this thread, I looked up your fight record. I have been watching MMA for about 7 years and I have watched a LOT of your fights starting with UFC 63. From UFC 63 to present is a looong time and I was sure that at least one of your UFC win had to come via decision. I thought maybe there was a fight that I missed or just simply forgot. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that not a single UFC win went to the decision. Your finishing rate is amazing.
1/25/13 9:42 PM
circulation123

Is it a contradiction to like Frankie Edgar’s style but to hate the way Condit fought against Diaz? I’m not saying it is or isn’t. I’m not even saying I hated/liked Condit’s strategy either. I’m just curious as to what you guys think. Is there a difference? Perhaps because Frankie’s style is pretty much consistent as opposed to Condit who used that style only against Diaz? Or is there more difference?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.