UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Hughes: 'Not real happy' about retirement

1/25/13 11:15 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1281 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

In fact, according to the former 170-pound kingpin, had it not been for White's new job offer and the follow up conversations, he would still be looking to secure his next fight inside the Octagon.

MMA Fighting has the word:

"(It's) A trying day for me. I knew the retirement was coming, but as a competitor, you hate hanging the gloves up. So, not real happy about it, but the way it is, everybody's gonna grow older and I'm just excited to still be a part of the UFC and going to fill this role of Athletic and Government relations. Dana has always been, sometimes he's the boss, sometimes he's a brother and sometimes he's a dad. He came to me, with my wife, and said, ‘Hey, you don't need to compete anymore. I've got a position for you, we've been looking to fill it. You fit the role perfectly.' In the end, he's right, he's right. When you lose the last two like I did, where I think if the fight would have went all 15 minutes I would have won both of them, he's right. I'm just glad I've got a position here to keep me in the sport. If he hadn't said that, I would have already had (another) fight under my belt."

The former NCAA All-American wrestler intends to take his new role seriously, vowing to do it the only way he knows how even if UFC executives aren't in complete agreement. After all, he was never anyone's "puppet" and doesn't intend to become one anytime in the future.

He explains:

"Whenever they put a mic in my face, I always said and did what I wanted. I never was anybody's puppet. So, I'm going to do what I think is right and they want me to do what's right. They want to understand what's going on in a fighters mind sometimes. So, yes, I'm going to draw a paycheck from the UFC, but I'm there to give my perspective on whatever it is that arises. I don't think they have to worry about me siding with them and I don't think the fighters have to worry about that either. I'm going to do what I think is right."

read entire article...

1/25/13 11:18 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jsteven
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I still kinda wanted to see him fight hardy. Phone Post
1/25/13 12:38 PM
MagSlim
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zed Wayne Zed - A legendary fighter, that I very much dislike.

Any way you slice it, he's earned the right to retire from the sport with pride.

This.

It's always right after you say 'I hate watching this guy' that he would pick the other guy up, walk him across the cage, slam him, and start the GNP. At which point you just slowly shake your head.
1/25/13 12:39 PM
OuTkAsTTTTT69

Zed Wayne Zed - A legendary fighter, that I very much dislike.

Any way you slice it, he's earned the right to retire from the sport with pride.
This Phone Post
1/25/13 12:49 PM
bryanand
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hughes is a legend, period. I didn't care for him outside of the ring but any guy that is top 5 and fights 2 other top 5 guys in 3 months in modern MMA deserves respect for life.

1/25/13 1:09 PM
knuckleballs

Matt Hughes is a gun-slingin', right-wing, god-fearin', weggie-givin', pig-testicle throwin' farmer.
1/25/13 1:22 PM
Motivated Penn
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

knuckleballs - Matt Hughes is a gun-slingin', right-wing, god-fearin', weggie-givin', pig-testicle throwin' farmer.

Matt Hughes was a farmer?
1/25/13 1:27 PM
OMA (tm)

Your a DICK Mathew.....

Come to terms with it. Life goes on.

(not fighter bashing) Phone Post
1/25/13 2:13 PM
Jason Reinhardt
208 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Matt has always been very cool to me and i will always consider him a friend. Very happy for him.
1/25/13 2:28 PM
dstiff

Matt Hughes is a douche. He is rude to fans and acts like his shit doesn't stink.
1/25/13 7:18 PM
The Swinging Richard
608 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zed Wayne Zed - A legendary fighter, that I very much dislike.

TTT
1/25/13 7:40 PM
Lurkdaddy316
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Never met Matt Hughes so I can't speak to his douchieness or lack thereof but I can say he's entertained the hell out of me during his run. Hell that comeback on Trigg after the nut blast should draw at least a bit of respect from everybody.
1/25/13 10:54 PM
circulation123

I would have loved to see Hughes/Sanchez back around 08-09….

1/25/13 11:20 PM
Haulport

"He came to me, with my wife, and said,"

Why was Dana with Matt Hughes wife?

1/26/13 2:00 AM
ntcdef
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

legend

1/28/13 4:01 PM
OMA (tm)

Jason Reinhardt - Matt has always been very cool to me and i will always consider him a friend. Very happy for him.
Booooooo!!!

;-) Phone Post
1/29/13 1:57 AM
OMA (tm)

However I respect Jason enough to know I should judge Matt based on my interactions with Matt Hughes of today....

....of which I have none. (met him a bunch in the past)

Jason R is great people and if he vouches for Mathew then I remove my previous ore conceived notions. (see how mature I am Sean Shelby?)

Matt Hughes for president of THESE United States Phone Post
1/29/13 1:57 AM
OMA (tm)

Oh yeah.......

-OMA (tm) 2x Worlds Champion Phone Post
1/29/13 1:58 AM
OMA (tm)

... (of the mid west) Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.