UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Jones: Move to heavyweight could come this year

1/26/13 10:03 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1231 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

It's a question Jon Jones has heard many times before - when is his all-but-inevitable move to heavyweight?

It might be sooner than everyone thinks.

"I think heavyweight is going to come along around 2014 – maybe even late this year," said Jones during the UFC on FOX 6 Fan Q&A. "Who knows. It'll definitely be a fight for the fans."

"(Daniel Cormier) is going to have to come and get me (at 205). He talked all that trash – I'm going to make him cut that weight."

"I would love to face (Alistair Overeem). I would fight anybody, any time. I'm just a lot smaller than those guys. I know that it would be a major challenge to fight one of those guys being the size I am right now."

For now, he has Chael Sonnen straight ahead, at UFC 159 on April 27 in Newark, N.J. following stints as opposing coaches on season 17 of The Ultimate Fighter.

After that, at light heavyweight, UFC president Dana White says he will be facing Dan Henderson, if Hendo beats Lyoto Machida next month at UFC 157. If Hendo loses, White said the next challenger might come from the winner of Gegard Mousasi vs. Alexander Gustafssonat FUEL TV 8 on March 2 in Sweden.

Jones also said he thought Mousasi was the best of the light heavyweights coming over from Strikeforce.

Read entire article...

Replay of UFC on FOX 6 Jon Jones Fan Q&A:

1/26/13 10:05 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Authority Figure
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jon Jones vs Overeem? 

1/26/13 10:16 AM
BRZ

Love to see JBJ vs JDS Phone Post
1/26/13 10:17 AM
cyberc92
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Reem would hurt JBJ.
1/26/13 10:18 AM
jTheHybridwolff
192 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Reem by way of violent anal penetration Phone Post
1/26/13 10:22 AM
atlantis_ninjah

cormier would wreck jones
1/26/13 10:22 AM
Vitor Me A New One
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would probably be a fan of Jones' if he moved up to HW...

1/26/13 10:26 AM
Entreri

Awesome.

He is going to be the new HW champ.
1/26/13 10:27 AM
Eggbert
847 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Going to heavyweight so he doesn't have to fight silva? Phone Post
1/26/13 10:30 AM
Entreri

Jones vs. Silva would be a near 50/50.

Jones still has a lot to learn.

Silva vs. Vitor = man vs. child...
1/26/13 10:34 AM
Kirik
1844 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor
klabo - 
TryhardNobody - "I would fight anybody anytime"..........didnt he turn down a fight with Chael?
End of thread and in before the mods delete this thread for anyone dare saying something about Jon Jones... Phone Post

You guys are going to have to make up your mind. Last I heard, the UG Blog was virulently anti-JJ.

1/26/13 10:39 AM
WelshWarrior
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol well said kirik Phone Post
1/26/13 10:40 AM
kkmmnn
305 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol @ people thinking JBJ is a wash against heavyweights... He wouldn't even have to roid up like Overroid to hit HW, with Dolce in his corner assisting his bulk I have a feeling JBJ could become an extremely dominant force at heavyweight
1/26/13 10:42 AM
Ironhouse
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anything to avoid hendo i guess.
1/26/13 10:59 AM
Mufasatheking

Sonnen better get injured so that we can see Anderson vs Jones
1/26/13 11:02 AM
SOO72
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think he would be Johnny "Broken Bones" Jones after a fight with Ovareem. At least he's willing to try.
1/26/13 11:13 AM
Kinkle

Overeem would annihilate JBJ, that's not saying much since Overeem annihilates any fighter. I think JDS and Cain beats him handedly also. Phone Post
1/26/13 11:20 AM
hogh20

Cain wreck JDS and I think JBJ can do the same, after he puts on the necessary bulk and muscle. I think a fight between Jones and Struke would be cool.
1/26/13 11:37 AM
Happiness Bunny
151 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"jones will taek OVERRROID down and HELLBOW HHIM TO DETH!! U WILL C!!!"

-Typical Jones fan on the ug.
1/26/13 11:51 AM
fna
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ryann Von Doom - 
Glovegate -
Ryann Von Doom -  Cool. Do it, man up and fight at your true weight class. Phone Post

Lol @ this jilted woman.

Man up 1/10th of how much he has to in order to fight and see if you don't shit your pants.

I have. Thanks though. Any more douchebaggery from you?

Jones is a true hw, he's been cutting to get to lhw, but his frame and weight are truly hw. The interesting match ups, the tests are there, not at lhw. Phone Post

Doesn't every guy at 205 cut to get there aside from hendo/Machida?
1/26/13 11:51 AM
HandyDarsh
169 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Eggbert - Going to heavyweight so he doesn't have to fight silva? Phone Post
While looking courageous at the same time, wise move Phone Post
1/26/13 12:08 PM
JamesTheWelshDR
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mousasi is coming...... Phone Post
1/26/13 12:08 PM
Kentpaul
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Overeem would snap those chicken legs of JJ in half
1/26/13 12:14 PM
KingOfFighters

That's why jon jones will be a legend by the time he hangs it up. He's already a great fighter, so he can't find anyone to test him, what will he do? MOVE UP IN FUCKING WEIGHT LIKE EVERY GREAT FIGHTER EVER HAS DONE.

With that said, I think he's a little too green perhaps he should wait 2-3 years.
1/26/13 1:57 PM
Gregg Roach
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KingOfFighters - That's why jon jones will be a legend by the time he hangs it up. He's already a great fighter, so he can't find anyone to test him, what will he do? MOVE UP IN FUCKING WEIGHT LIKE EVERY GREAT FIGHTER EVER HAS DONE.

With that said, I think he's a little too green perhaps he should wait 2-3 years.

I agree with most of this, except whether he will be a legend depends on how well he does at HW. Also, I think 1-2 years seems about right. But, only he knows what his weight is doing right now, so . . .

And, for the record, I think Reem destroys Jones at this point. Jones should definitely look for a middle-of-the-pack guy or a gatekeeper before trying the Reems of the division.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.