UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> BJJ Kumite is a joke

1/26/13 4:43 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
CompanyBlue
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/26/13 4:45 PM

I love the idea of getting competitors in a closed door environment to compete but it seems like this should have been a much better more meaningful competition.

How many competitors other than Keenan knew that they were going to do that many matches in that short amount of time, all with no time limit? That's extremely unfair isn't it?

How many competitors is Keenan giving up weight too?

I know there was an open invite to anybody to enter but wouldn't it make sense for every competitor to know the exact rules ahead of time, you know, so they could actually train for it?

I think the competition started just a couple weeks after Lloyd put the word out so it would have been impossible for anybody to train for this even IF they were told what the rules were let along not even knowing. It's quite silly actually, the whole thing reeks of a SET UP.

I've seen multiple obviously fake matches already and also many guys who seem to be quitting because they are so worn down. That's clear.

They want this event to mean something, they should tell everybody what the event consists of months ahead of time. It looks obvious that many of the competitors are just going through with it to get it over with.

It they set up another Kumite in a few months and everybody knew they were going to do gi and no gi and go against everybody at every weight it would be a much better competition and bring out more talented competitors. People would actually be prepared since the training would be so different than for a regular bjj tournament. Training for 24 gi/no gi matches with no time limits against all weight classes is a lot different than showing up to do a regular competition. Why keep the truth from the competitors and then surprise them last minute with what the event really is?

I hope somebody else takes this idea and makes it more legitimate.
1/26/13 4:53 PM
LiveFromThe7x7

Haters gonna hate. Phone Post
1/26/13 5:11 PM
GrahamJ

LiveFromThe7x7 -  Haters gonna hate. Phone Post

HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAH!!!

...and rapers gonna rape: deal with it - and get off Lloyd's back (unless you're twenty years old, and are gonna try rape him, in which case he's cool with it; just make sure to drink some beers, so you fit the believable stereotype of 'Dumb kid who did stupid things, the same as everybody else, like drinking, raping, etc.').
1/26/13 5:12 PM
GrahamJ

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/33907049.jpg
1/26/13 5:16 PM
Baroquen Record
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The only thing they didn't know was that Keenan was going to be in the competition. Phone Post
1/26/13 5:23 PM
Baroquen Record
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Unless I'm mistaken which is possible Phone Post
1/26/13 5:44 PM
Im a real boy

Only thing I don't like is it's obvious some guys are levels above the rest. I understand that they wanted an international competition, but you'd think a requirement for this would be to have at least a medal at a major tournament at like purple belt. I'll admit I don't know everyone's record, but isn't this supposed to be the "best" brown belts basically? How many are world champions, gi or no gi, at purple? or even blue?
1/26/13 5:56 PM
GrahamJ

Baroquen Record -  The only thing they didn't know was that Keenan was going to be in the competition. Phone Post

That's not what Gary Tonon says:

'Immediately I was handed a contract.

So I’m sitting there contract in hand, alone with my thoughts thinking, am I an idiot for coming here? I drove four hours to compete in a tournament where not only was I not guaranteed a chance to fight Keenan, but I’m not even guaranteed the prize originally offered for winning.'

http://www.graciemag.com/2013/01/inside-the-bjj-kumite-garry-tonons-take-part-1/

'The format of the tournament was not explained at length to us yet. Like single double elimination etc. the “super bowl” format was not told/ decided until day two'

'Finally Lloyd came in and clarified the “super bowl” format'

http://www.graciemag.com/2013/01/inside-the-bjj-kumite-garry-tonons-take-part-2/
1/26/13 6:09 PM
biggator
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

they knew it was going to be a week long and sub only no time limit, gi and no gi. and they knew for over a month.

im down with hating on lloyd but the only thing they didnt know was that keenan was in and it was round robin.

they knew they needed to be doing long as shit rounds in practice as it was no time limit sub only i dont see them complaining and calling it a set up. Gary toon mentioned it being a setup to kill them all to get rid of keenans brown competition. and that was a joke
1/26/13 6:27 PM
Rival School

The only difference was Keenan.

Also interpreting Garry... I find him to be a weiner. He was complaining and crying about another match and changed his tune when he noticed keenan didn't give a fuck Phone Post
1/26/13 7:07 PM
X_Rated
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

After watching the first two episodes, it's certainly not as awesome as I thought it would be.

That being said, Keenan is an absolute beast. Phone Post
1/26/13 7:09 PM
Rival School

I enjoy watching it because it's lots of high level dudes competing. I've figured out a few things just watching them Phone Post
1/26/13 7:26 PM
BarraBJJ
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Some people will complain about anything. You give them a free meal, they gobble it up and then they turn around whine that it was too salty. Phone Post
1/26/13 7:38 PM
GrahamJ

I think the problem with most of the 'salty free meals' Limp Irvin is associated with, is that they're forced down somebody's throat against their will.
1/26/13 7:53 PM
Hunter V
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Its great as it shows alot of things people that don't really compete alot miss out on. The mental side of things, people breaking physically and emotionally, great music and production (Genghis Con is the shit btw), and its a series that can hopefully inspire others to do better versions.

And they knew for the most part the rules as Lloyd said the shit on his damn fb. Hell me and teammates were even saying how it would be sweet if he does one for purple belts as well. So there were no big surprises for them besides knowing Keenan was in now and everyone faces everyone. And even IF Keenan knew, he is in the same boat as them so besides homefield adv he really has no other advantages. If he gets injured for instance he has to deal w it just like everyone else, and he if his conditioning sucks he gets to deal w it like everyone else. So really its pretty damn even.
1/26/13 8:03 PM
CompanyBlue

>>So there were no big surprises for them besides knowing Keenan was in now and everyone faces everyone

Ummm, having to face every single other competitor is a pretty fucking huge detail to not tell someone isn't it? Actually, facing every other person TWICE. How can you call it pretty damn even? It's set up for everybody who wasn't expecting that much mat time to crumble and wear down.

These guys are putting hours and hours competing and doing it every day, it's no surprise that people are losing on purpose. Most of the guys look like they want to go home by day 2.
1/26/13 8:55 PM
DavidLangsBlackBelt
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't understand the logic. As a competitor I would think this would excite me. First off its a chance to really see where you stand amongst the ranks of all the brown belts. You get to test yourself against everyone. Second, instead of having to beat everyone for a possibility of a match against keenan, you are now guaranteed a match against him. Last, more matches mean more chances for money moves to earn yourself some cash before you leave your FREE trip that was provided to you to compete against the best and prove yourself. Maybe its because I enjoy competition but knowing all of that I would be more excited.

Also, if you think its crap..... then dont watch it. No one is making you click that youtube link but you. Phone Post
1/26/13 10:47 PM
Jdonw
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DavidLangsBlackBelt -  I don't understand the logic. As a competitor I would think this would excite me. First off its a chance to really see where you stand amongst the ranks of all the brown belts. You get to test yourself against everyone. Second, instead of having to beat everyone for a possibility of a match against keenan, you are now guaranteed a match against him. Last, more matches mean more chances for money moves to earn yourself some cash before you leave your FREE trip that was provided to you to compete against the best and prove yourself. Maybe its because I enjoy competition but knowing all of that I would be more excited.

Also, if you think its crap..... then dont watch it. No one is making you click that youtube link but you. Phone Post

From Garry Tonon's blog on GracieMag: "We were told we had to pay for our own travel, food, hotel etc."

So your implication that they are ungrateful for a free trip is wrong. The competitors are sacrificing for an attempt at a little notoriety and money.
1/26/13 10:57 PM
GrahamJ

Jdonw - 
DavidLangsBlackBelt -  I don't understand the logic. As a competitor I would think this would excite me. First off its a chance to really see where you stand amongst the ranks of all the brown belts. You get to test yourself against everyone. Second, instead of having to beat everyone for a possibility of a match against keenan, you are now guaranteed a match against him. Last, more matches mean more chances for money moves to earn yourself some cash before you leave your FREE trip that was provided to you to compete against the best and prove yourself. Maybe its because I enjoy competition but knowing all of that I would be more excited.

From Garry Tonon's blog on GracieMag: "We were told we had to pay for our own travel, food, hotel etc."

So your implication that they are ungrateful for a free trip is wrong. The competitors are sacrificing for an attempt at a little notoriety and money.

Don't bother: haters gonna hate.
1/26/13 11:01 PM
elburrogrande
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dang 97%ers making threads about tournaments that already ended. Just enjoy the show.
1/26/13 11:04 PM
John Frankl
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Haters gonna hate."

Translation: I feel threatened. I am now sticking my head in the sand and actually refusing to deal with the valid points you are making.
1/26/13 11:10 PM
The Ghost Of Swayze
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rapers gonna rape.
1/26/13 11:18 PM
trianglinho
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You can call this a set up or whatever and call lloyd a rapist. But even after all this shit has been thrown around I'd do this in a heartbeat. How many of these guys had you heard of? Even if they suck on the show they are still getting exposure as "best brown belts in the world". It's an opportunity to make a name for yourself and show the world who you are on the mats and a little off the mat.

Idk everyone knows this is not an unbiased event. It's being held at an academy of an instructor of one of the competitors and a show is being shot, edited and produced by said instructor. All the refs are from TLI. You get the chance to be almost famous in a Jiu Jitsu show that will probably get 1,000,000 views when all is said and done.

I just don't see how you could be mad as a spectator, unless one of the guys in the Kumite is you brother.
1/26/13 11:42 PM
CompanyBlue

trianglinho - You can call this a set up or whatever and call lloyd a rapist. But even after all this shit has been thrown around I'd do this in a heartbeat. How many of these guys had you heard of? Even if they suck on the show they are still getting exposure as "best brown belts in the world". It's an opportunity to make a name for yourself and show the world who you are on the mats and a little off the mat.

Idk everyone knows this is not an unbiased event. It's being held at an academy of an instructor of one of the competitors and a show is being shot, edited and produced by said instructor. All the refs are from TLI. You get the chance to be almost famous in a Jiu Jitsu show that will probably get 1,000,000 views when all is said and done.

I just don't see how you could be mad as a spectator, unless one of the guys in the Kumite is you brother.

Because it's a competition and everybody should know exactly what they are getting into ahead of time, not once the already made the trip. The fake matches don't bother you? It doesn't bother you to see guys unable to go hard and are just quitting because they are physically spent? You can't pull that shit out last second and say hey by the way you have to go against everybody win or lose, TWICE. NTL.
1/26/13 11:44 PM
GrahamJ

The Ghost Of Swayze - Rapers gonna rape.

You managed to say what trianglinho said in hundreds of words, in just three.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.