UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> How can BJJ become more spectator friendly?

1/28/13 7:20 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
wizbang
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love jiu-jitsu but the fact is that the most awesome highlight vids (acording to you and me) on youtube do pretty much nothing for someone who doesn't practice the art.

With that in mind, there is no way the masses are going to get into watching actual matches.
1/28/13 7:26 AM
PermitMeFisticuffsBrother
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

use tazers
1/28/13 7:45 AM
27CrazyFeet
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1 get more people to do bjj

2 more submission only events

3 televise / video the events but only show highlights of the matches
1/28/13 7:48 AM
CDarwin
795 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

add cage + strikes - gi

1/28/13 11:12 AM
DeuceDroppin
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We already have the real answer, as many have mentioned. ALLOW STRIKING!! Oh wait..that was already done, and I'd say the evolution is coming along pretty good overall.

As far as straight up pajama wrestling (GI and NOGI):

1. Who cares? Do you do it because you like it, or because you want people to watch you roll around with other sweaty dudes?

2. It will never be popular with the masses. Way too boring for the average viewer, and most people don't understand or relate to it.

I know we all think we look bad ass while locking up that armbar, and wish that there were 20 hot women all hot and just waiting for the victory celebration, but the harsh reality is that it just looks gay to most and they will never have any interest.

Just accept this, laugh it off, and enjoy the sport that you love. Phone Post
1/28/13 12:46 PM
Bisping decisioned my SN
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Allowing knees to a downed opponent and all types of elbows lol.

People would think twice about getting on the ground unless they were a way superior grappler Phone Post
1/28/13 4:02 PM
dermotfix
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think high-level bjj is very hard to appreciate as a spectator who knows little to nothing about the sport.

It's tough enough for someone who has trained to see everything that's going on.

However, put a couple of blue-belts with something to prove on a mat and it looks like a fight IMO. I think that would attract more casual viewers TBH.

There's also something about bjj matches from 10y ago that makes them so much more interesting to watch.

At least, that's what got me interested in the sport in the first place. Back then, it looked more like a martial art than the sport version we see today.

I have a feeling that if people watch ice-skating or ski-jumping or show-jumping or synchronized-swimming once in a while, there is a market for bjj somewhere. 

1/28/13 4:34 PM
IP
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ausgepicht - 
Christ Crapped in My Fish and Chips - 

You can't, it's doesn't appeal to the masses. Just like why there isn't real pro wrestling

You couldn't be more wrong.

At one time Catch was the most popular sport in America and one of the most popular sports in the world. It was in many world games, at the Olympics, and many international events. Olympic wrestling is called "Amateur wrestling" because it is wrestling without submissions....which is professional wrestling. Fake pro wrestling sprouted from Catch. 

Amateur wrestling is popular the world over. Same with Judo. Both takedowns and submissions can appeal to the masses. It just needs some grassroots support, good marketing, and some personalities behind it.

This has been a wrestling debate for years - How to make the sport draw more spectators. Look around the typical gym or arena holding a club/HS/college wrestling tournament and all you see is wrestlers, ex-wrestlers, families of wrestlers, and friends of wrestlers. Wrestling, similar to BJJ, is just not that captivating to watch unless you have ties to the sport.

The only exception I can think of in the US is maybe some of the midwest college team rivalries that draw like a Texas football game, and that's part of their culture.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.