UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Will Rampage be back in the UFC?

1/27/13 9:01 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1279 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Quinton "Rampage" Jackson lost a unanimous decision to Glover Teixeira Saturday night in the co-main event of UFC on FOX 6. He was already on a two-fight losing streak, the first of his career. Now he has lost three in a row, usually the cut off for release. And his contract is up.

Jackson has said repeatedly that he wants to explore his options outside the UFC, referencing at various points professional boxing, acting, and fighting for another MMA promotion.

The obvious next in line promotion is Bellator, but Jackson entering a tournament would require fighting three times in three months, something he is unlikely to do. And Bellator is unlikely to pay "Rampage Jackson" money once a month for three months without the PPV avenue to recoup the investement.

As Jackson exited the United Center on Saturday night, he spied sometime friend UFC president Dana White, and shouted "You're going to miss me!"

White, grinning, replied, "I miss you already, buddy."

There is a history of UFC stars and Dana White engaging in public spats. Among the most notable are Randy Couture, Tito Ortiz, and Rampage. The first two worked out their differences and returned to the Octagon, to if anything even greater acclaim. Will that happen with Rampage?

"I don't know (if we'd re-sign him)," said White after the post-fight press conference. "We'll see how this thing plays out and see what happens."

"I don't know what to say about Rampage. One minute, you're cool with him, and the next minute ... Through this whole thing, all the talk, all the stuff that's happened, I have remained exactly the same to him like nothing was going on, right up until he left tonight."

White said the fight went pretty much as he expected, but added that Rampage was given every opportunity to shine, and thus increase his value to the UFC, or any other promotion.

"If I was worried about any of that stuff, I wouldn't have put him on the biggest platform that we have, on FOX. We've treated him (well). He made his money like he always makes his money. He had the opportunity tonight to win and do whatever he wanted to do. It's not like I threw him on some prelim in the middle of Brazil somewhere. I put him on the biggest platform to shine.

"He was treated tonight the way he's always been treated. We didn't treat him the way he's been treating us."

White also weighed in on Rampage's UFC legacy, but again expressed some anbiguity,

"I don't know," said White. "Rampage is one of those guys that I honestly believe if Glover was fighting anybody else, he would have knocked them out in the first round. Rampage got hit with that shot. Not only can he punch hard, he can take a punch.

"Rampage's biggest problem is that he doesn't always train. He doesn't always stay in shape. If he took this sport 100 percent hardcore serious, God knows what that guy might be able to accomplish. But he doesn't."

Although Jackson did not attend the post-fight press conference, he released a statement, via the UFC.

"I kind of wish I fought smart and didn't get hit so much," said Jackson. "But I always said I would rather lose a good fight than win a boring-ass one and the fans are telling me that was an exciting fight. So I guess I'm sad, but not so sad. I fought like Rampage tonight. I tried to knock him out with every punch. It wasn't so smart, but if it was fun for the fans, I will take that and be OK with that."

White isn't sure if Rampage will be back. What do you think?

1/27/13 9:06 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Uncle Muay Thai
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't think he will be back. He looked horrible last night and I think he can no longer perform at the level needed to be a contender in the UFC. He is a big name however so it will be a good acquisition for whoever signs him up. Phone Post
1/27/13 9:24 AM
GunnarWreckedMyAssHAOLE
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

he is going to shit himself when he sees what other orgs are paying

1/27/13 9:27 AM
Vitor Me A New One
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Uncle Muay Thai - I don't think he will be back. He looked horrible last night and I think he can no longer perform at the level needed to be a contender in the UFC. He is a big name however so it will be a good acquisition for whoever signs him up. Phone Post
He looked better than his last couple performances.

At least he threw some combos, his TDD was horrible but I don't think his performance was that bad to be honest. Phone Post
1/27/13 9:29 AM
Chris Power
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He should just retire - he's made his bucks, and doesn't seem a huge fan of doing this for a living.

Why keep putting yourself through this if you're at a stage in your life maybe you DON'T wanna get punched in the head for a living?

All that said, fuck QJ's as tough as ever. The shots he took in that fight...
1/27/13 9:46 AM
Damienhls

that was a great fight and should have been fight of the night,im sure glover got a bonus,glover deserves a title shot
1/27/13 10:36 AM
rjhartman

Rampage's fight was like watching BJ Penn's last fight. Both took alot of punishment and looked slow, old, and out of shape. Rampage has fought alot over the span of his career, its time to find something else to do.
1/27/13 12:01 PM
Anderson Ducking Weidman

i think so..hes gonna test the market and then come back to the ufc with his tail between his legs

1/27/13 12:01 PM
ChaosOverkill
735 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tex seems like a really cool dude

1/27/13 12:16 PM
Bry Bry

Rampage used to be a monster at light heavy but now he just seems to go in there wanting to box..not to mention his cardio is weak these days and his takedown defense was non-existent..is Rampage still a big draw?i almost dont see how..
1/27/13 12:22 PM
CrazyPope
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

john_d1974 - you can say that about 99% of the ex-Pride lot that are in the UFC currently, personally i'd cut them all.

Ya, they need to get rid of Anderson Silva asap
1/27/13 12:24 PM
NorthFromHere
321 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAViking.com
No. Rampage hates training.
1/27/13 12:32 PM
Gullivers Travels
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/27/13 12:32 PM
I think he's overestimating other org's desire to have him. As the article states, Bellator likely cannot afford to pay what he wants and the tournament format won't work for him. Maybe he'd make 1-2 good pay days in boxing, but also don't see how he'd be any more successful there. His only realistic option is the UFC.

Even if he does go with Bellator, he needs to leave Wolf's Lair and get to a better camp.
1/27/13 2:32 PM
R00STER
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That is an awesome pic, with Glover wearing Rampage's chain! I love to see post-fight pics of the combatants together, showing respect to the one they just went to war with. That's what is awesome about MMA.
1/27/13 2:40 PM
deadlysyn

I love Rampage but he has been silly lately. As we say with kids, sometimes they need to learn the hardway. Rampage will box most likely, maybe fight a couple feeders, but once he fights anyone with decent skill he will get picked appart bad. Bellator won't be able to afford him, if they do pick him up it would be for a fight here and there and I think in the long fun Rampage wouldn't be happy there. Eventually after 2-3 years he will sant to get back to the UFC which is sad because Rampage is getting old for the fight game so he will waste a few years figuring out things when he will eventually want to be back in the same place he is now. Gotta learn the hard way though. 

1/27/13 2:40 PM
deadlysyn

I love Rampage but he has been silly lately. As we say with kids, sometimes they need to learn the hardway. Rampage will box most likely, maybe fight a couple feeders, but once he fights anyone with decent skill he will get picked appart bad. Bellator won't be able to afford him, if they do pick him up it would be for a fight here and there and I think in the long fun Rampage wouldn't be happy there. Eventually after 2-3 years he will sant to get back to the UFC which is sad because Rampage is getting old for the fight game so he will waste a few years figuring out things when he will eventually want to be back in the same place he is now. Gotta learn the hard way though. 

1/27/13 4:23 PM
Carl Sonnen

Rampage done talked himself in a corner now. Dana will sign him, after he promises to behave and be a good little boy. Dana is just busting Page' balls for lower pay and an attitude adjustment.
1/27/13 4:43 PM
Steve4192
234 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anderson Ducking Weidman - 

i think so..hes gonna test the market and then come back to the ufc with his tail between his legs

That is what I expect as well.

He'll flirt with Bellator, TNA, and pro boxing before finally caving in and re-signing with the UFC sometime around the end of the year.

1/27/13 4:51 PM
MdGeist

Rampage should stick around in the UFC, alot of really cool fights to be made. The past-prime, former champion division is actually pretty stacked these days.

Shogun rematch, Henderson rematch, Griffin rematch, Franklin at LHW, Vitor at LHW, maybe even Rampage-Wanderlei 4 at LHW

1/27/13 4:51 PM
tjmitchiscool
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Takedown defense has gone to shit since training with Wolfslair...I would like to see him train somewhere he's not the top dog...would force him to improve Phone Post
1/27/13 5:50 PM
grafzep
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He will fight in Japan

i hope Dana doesn't bring him back. He is too arrogant and one dimensional to do anything significant and a bitter rampage is not fun to listen to so thats gone as well.
1/28/13 7:39 AM
Y2JB

Edited: 01/28/13 7:42 AM
The thing is, Rampage hasn't been in many (any?) good fights since leaving Pride.

Glover didn't look much better than Rampage on Saturday either. I don't understand the hype around the guy, Jones would wreck & embarrass him.
1/28/13 10:04 AM
ATAP
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I actually thought he looked the best he has in a while in this fight.. hope he quits his complaining and chooses whats best for himself (probably another UFC contract with provisions in there for long layoffs for acting).
1/28/13 11:24 AM
chaplinshouse
784 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

so does he actually fly to wolfslair to train?  if so that's fucking nuts.  he lives in cali.  that'd be like an eskimo traveling to africa to get ice. 

1/28/13 3:20 PM
StringerBell

chaplinshouse - 

so does he actually fly to wolfslair to train?  if so that's fucking nuts.  he lives in cali.  that'd be like an eskimo traveling to africa to get ice. 

I've always wondered the same. Also, is Bisping & Kongo still with Wolfslair?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.