UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Class break down (thoughts?)

1/27/13 10:26 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
PayItForward
183 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ok, so i'm curious how you would break down the following:

1-hour class...

i'm runnign a club out of a space where i will usually get 1.5-2 hours to use, but one day will be 1 hour to 1.25 hours...

Minute breakdown:
0-10: warmup
10-30: drilling technique
30-60: rolling

is that good?

i don't want to sacrifice mat time w/ a long warmup... should drilling technique go longer?

i hate 1-hour... but if that's what i have to work with, what are you thoughts on how to break it down?
1/27/13 10:54 AM
trianglinho
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That looks pretty good to me for a 1 hour class.
1/27/13 11:27 AM
JasonGV
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bah, that looks amateur.

For a one hour class...

30 minute warmp up, including push ups and lots of sit ups.

25 minutes, 5 techniques. Make sure their unrelated and from completely different positions. Cant let people get bored now!

5 minutes rolling. Make sure you don't roll anyone. Just sit on a fit ball and play on your phone. Unless there's a hot new chick floating about, then go for it.

1/27/13 11:35 AM
Calibur1980
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JasonGV - Bah, that looks amateur.

For a one hour class...

25 minutes, 5 techniques. Make sure their unrelated and from completely different positions. Cant let people get bored now!

5 minutes rolling. Make sure you don't roll anyone. Just sit on a fit ball and play on your phone. Unless there's a hot new chick floating about, then go for it.

It depresses me that I've been to more than one class like this.

Not many, thank god. Phone Post
1/27/13 12:03 PM
JasonGV
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Calibur1980 - 
JasonGV - Bah, that looks amateur.

For a one hour class...

It depresses me that I've been to more than one class like this.

Not many, thank god. Phone Post

Ok, you seem like a nice guy so Ill give a little something extra from Master Shen's MMA Billionaire correspondence course.

Occasionally you need to lay the law down, if you spend all your time on a fit ball chatting up the fine birds some of your boys may get a little angsty. So...

Extra hard warm up- run those guys ragged. No technique that night, super hard sparring (not for you though!), you pick the match ups and make sure the guy you want to pwn rolls the roughest toughest beasts you've got. Then with 5 minutes to go, you deign to wrestle him. Make sure to make lots of flashy, fancy movements. Knee ride, hoping side to side, lots of subs the whole deal. That guy that use to look at you suspiciously will think you're a BJJ god.

WARNING
*Only works on whites and very new blues*
1/27/13 12:04 PM
194 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

who's in your class?

1/27/13 12:07 PM
Muffinho
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/27/13 12:07 PM
No warm up. <br />drill for 30 minutes. <br />roll for 30. <br />

Assuming this is a regular class. If you have a bunch of full timers (2-3 sessions a day), and no hobbyists, make the entire class either positional sparring or drilling.
1/27/13 12:57 PM
PayItForward
183 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12 - a mix... mostly white belts... for a while i envision myself doing a lot of drilling on technique...

my rank is brown. i won't let newbie white belts roll the whole time... i do have a blue belt and will probably have upper belts pop in from time to time, but eventually, i think mat time is very important...
1/27/13 1:17 PM
194 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PayItForward - 12 - a mix... mostly white belts... for a while i envision myself doing a lot of drilling on technique...

my rank is brown. i won't let newbie white belts roll the whole time... i do have a blue belt and will probably have upper belts pop in from time to time, but eventually, i think mat time is very important...

drilling or teaching techs? drillings great for the 5 % but the other 95%? .ive had this conversation with the boys,javi,caique and a few other.

for beginners the warm ups should be the moves they leaned in other classes,white belts dont need to run,do push ups,they need to see how techs work,they need the wow,thats so simple why didnt i think of that class.

1/27/13 2:51 PM
htownbjj
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You may try playing around a bit with things like this:

10 minute warmups (all BJJ specific movements)
25 minutes on new techniques (1-3 depending on the complexity)
10 minutes positional sparring with the technique of the day
15 minutes live rolling

You could experiment and do a 5 minute warmup and 15 minutes positional sparring.

I personally think 30 minutes is too long for white belts to be rolling, but it kind of depends on the students (athleticism level, age, etc).

I think you can get a lot of the benefits of rolling through positional training with less risk of injury, less humiliation, and less burnout.
1/27/13 3:59 PM
PayItForward

htown... i hear ya.. yes, i'll play it by ear and see how it goes.

12 - most certainly. i have an idea in place to keep things strung together between classes.

i want to start by focusing on a dominant position. i'm going to focus everything around "the mount" (top side mount and the back mount for some time... i'll start w/ the top side mount)...

my plan is to show the mount, how to stay on top and then the americana... after i'll show the upa escape.... wrap up the day w/ how to get it to the ground (self defence clinch and takedown using momentum to mount)...

the next week i'll have the warmup incorporate the upa escape and the takedown (after some general loosening up)...

weeks to follow will be how to get to mount from inside the guard (i.e. guard pass to side mount).... you get the idea... the warmup the week after will be the guard pass to side, to mount to upa and the other person performs that cycle of moves...
1/27/13 4:00 PM
PayItForward

somewhere in all this the armbar from mount or x-choke, you get the drift...
1/27/13 5:19 PM
JZilla
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

30 mins for fresh white belts is too long for rolling
Expand the teaching / drilling segment to include positional sparring then maybe give them 2x5m rounds live training at the end. They can roll more in your normal long classes Phone Post
1/27/13 7:45 PM
PayItForward

thanks for the input... i'll let you know how it goes...
1/27/13 8:39 PM
htownbjj
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like the thematic idea you have, a lot of reinforcement is nice for muscle memory. But you are injecting enough variety to keep it from getting stale.

One thing I've been doing for a while now in live rolling (especially if I'm rolling and can't supervise) is this -- white belts sparring with white belts must start in closed guard. It is essentially positional training for the guard: if there is a change in positions (a pass, sweep, submission), they change top and bottom.

I figure you can't get too much practice with closed guard as a white belt, it's pretty safe (a majority of my students are over 30 and some are injury prone), and they can get a good sweat going.

What I want to avoid is a huge spazzy white belt smashing the crap out of a small white belt from side control for 5 minutes. I know that the experience can be somewhat useful for both, it has diminishing returns and is terrible for retention.

Whites with higher belts can start normal. The higher belts are all cool and while they do kick the butts of the white belts, they are careful and mix it up a good amount. They can also sense if someone's will is breaking and let up on the pressure.
1/27/13 8:52 PM
htownbjj

PayItForward - thanks for the input... i'll let you know how it goes...

Good luck, it sounds like you have thought it out well. Please come back and share how it went with your mount concept.
1/28/13 1:17 AM
drx604
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

htownbjj -

15 minutes live rolling

You could experiment and do a 5 minute warmup and 15 minutes positional sparring.

I personally think 30 minutes is too long for white belts to be rolling, but it kind of depends on the students (athleticism level, age, etc).

I think you can get a lot of the benefits of rolling through positional training with less risk of injury, less humiliation, and less burnout.
Similar to the classes at my gym... We sometimes have a "stand up" tech every class too Phone Post
1/28/13 1:19 AM
drx604
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

drx604 -
htownbjj -

15 minutes live rolling

Similar to the classes at my gym... We sometimes have a "stand up" tech every class too Phone Post
I mean ..

Warm up 15
Stand up tech 10-15
Ground tech 30
Positional sparring 15-20
Live sparring (open) 15-20 Phone Post
1/28/13 4:20 AM
mmanthebay
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PayItForward - Ok, so i'm curious how you would break down the following:

1-hour class...

i'm runnign a club out of a space where i will usually get 1.5-2 hours to use, but one day will be 1 hour to 1.25 hours...

Minute breakdown:
0-10: warmup
10-30: drilling technique
30-60: rolling

is that good?

i don't want to sacrifice mat time w/ a long warmup... should drilling technique go longer?

i hate 1-hour... but if that's what i have to work with, what are you thoughts on how to break it down?
How many classes a week? Honestly with the one hour format, each class should not be the same. It also helps to have a well planned curriculum in place. Furthermore, one has to really manage the usage of class time in order to make it effective. Phone Post
1/28/13 4:33 AM
mmanthebay
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Monday, Wednesday, and Friday:
0-10 warm up (including takedowns)
10-30 technique
30-45 positional drilling at 50%
45-60 Rolling (intensity: flow training speed up to 80%)

Tuesday and Thursday:
0-60 Rolling at 75%-90%
5min rounds; 1min rest

Something like this Phone Post
1/29/13 11:40 PM
PayItForward

it's a small "club", not a full time school.

It's as follows:
EVERY Tuesday evening for 75 minutes.
EVERY Friday evening for 90+ minutes.
EVERY OTHER Friday morning for 90+ minutes.
EVERY Saturday at noon for 90+ minutes.

if it gets going and lots of folks are looking for more spots, i'll see what i can do.
2/2/13 9:20 AM

hows it going?

2/2/13 11:18 AM
Tarado Safado
490 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IMHO opinion whitebelts benefit from a longer technique time than from free rolling

you can't practice what you don't know
2/2/13 12:58 PM
Baroquen Record
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

drx604 -
htownbjj -

15 minutes live rolling

Lol @ sometimes every class. Is it sometimes or is it every? Phone Post
2/3/13 12:13 AM
PayItForward

12 - 

hows it going?

had first class today...

went well. only 3 people, but it's a start... taught basic shrimping and other moves for the warmup...

taught the positions briefly. then i focused on mount. how to maintain it. swim arms through one at a time, ride the bucking... etc.

showed the americana (keylock)...

showed the upa escape.

drilled everything a bunch...

then i provided the self defense aspect of obtaining the clich to takedown adn follow up w/ mount.

that was for about an hour. let the white belts stretch out and watch a 30 minute roll session w/ a blue belt i have attending the class...

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.