UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Class break down (thoughts?)

2/3/13 3:35 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
drx604
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Baroquen Record -
drx604 -
htownbjj -
You may try playing around a bit with things like this:

10 minute warmups (all BJJ specific movements)
25 minutes on new techniques (1-3 depending on the complexity)
10 minutes positional sparring with the technique of the day
15 minutes live rolling

You could experiment and do a 5 minute warmup and 15 minutes positional sparring.

I personally think 30 minutes is too long for white belts to be rolling, but it kind of depends on the students (athleticism level, age, etc).

I think you can get a lot of the benefits of rolling through positional training with less risk of injury, less humiliation, and less burnout.
Similar to the classes at my gym... We sometimes have a "stand up" tech every class too Phone Post
Lol @ sometimes every class. Is it sometimes or is it every? Phone Post
Oops pretty much every class Phone Post
2/5/13 9:24 AM
Snoozhitsu
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One thing I find very useful for short classes that aren't for absolute beginners is to use positional drilling. Split them into groups of three. Let's say last week you worked on holding mount, this week that's your drilling focus. The first group are the the mat everyone else is lined up. Group 1 take up mount on someone from groups 2 and 3. If they escape a fresh person comes in, if they hold mount for ten seconds a fresh person comes in. So group 1 are trying to hold mount for the full round with no danger of being stuck with someone who win't work with them. Repeat for groups 2&3.

So here's my class structure:
10 minute warmup
15 minutes technique learning with short drills
Then drill as above last weeks topic:
6 minutes mount with grapevines and crossface
6 minutes with grapevines
6 minutes from "middle mount"
Then 2-3 rounds free rolling and a cool down.

Everyone gets mat time and works up a good sweat without being smashed if they get the wrong partner.

Of course it's up to you but I would never teach a position and it's escape at the same time - e.g. mount and upa. Let them learn to hold mount against someone who doesn't know how to escape first.
2/5/13 9:38 AM
htownbjj
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Snoozhitsu - One thing I find very useful for short classes that aren't for absolute beginners is to use positional drilling. Split them into groups of three. Let's say last week you worked on holding mount, this week that's your drilling focus. The first group are the the mat everyone else is lined up. Group 1 take up mount on someone from groups 2 and 3. If they escape a fresh person comes in, if they hold mount for ten seconds a fresh person comes in. So group 1 are trying to hold mount for the full round with no danger of being stuck with someone who win't work with them. Repeat for groups 2&3.

So here's my class structure:
10 minute warmup
15 minutes technique learning with short drills
Then drill as above last weeks topic:
6 minutes mount with grapevines and crossface
6 minutes with grapevines
6 minutes from "middle mount"
Then 2-3 rounds free rolling and a cool down.

Everyone gets mat time and works up a good sweat without being smashed if they get the wrong partner.

Of course it's up to you but I would never teach a position and it's escape at the same time - e.g. mount and upa. Let them learn to hold mount against someone who doesn't know how to escape first.

This is all great stuff. I agree about not showing the position and escape at the same time.
2/5/13 10:55 AM
kying418
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ Sometimes I teach a position, and then the escape or pass during the same class.

You guys bring up a great point about not doing that- I will do the same from now on. Thanks!
2/5/13 10:50 PM
PayItForward
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i started w/ maintaining mount. the bottom guy fights to get out.

i then show the americana. it's simple and quick to pick up...

i then show the upa escape... do that for a bunch of reps.

i then show the gracie takedown (almost like a lateral drop but not quite) where you sit down and take them down and mount..

i then tie it all together. Takedown, to mount, to bucking and staying on top, to americana, to bottom guy escape...

a light went off when they were able to string everything together.

seems like a lot to learn but it's just right amount AND it's a continuation of last class.
2/20/13 7:05 AM
PayItForward
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

so it's been a few weeks.

i've gone from teaching the takedown to mount and the escape from mount to passing the guard (knee slide cut pass) to establishing side control to mount.

i've also got them doing the old school armbar drill from mount.

i spent some time showing shrimping from side adn when mounted to get out from bottom.

just two subs so far: americana and armbar from mount.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.