UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Drum God - Han Bennink

1/27/13 11:47 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ali
667 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/27/13 12:26 PM

This is inspired by Hugo's posting of the Wes Montgomery show from 1965. The drummer on that was Han Bennink. Han is an acolyte of the earliest jazz drummers. I believe he claims Zutty Singleton was his favorite drummer. Baby Dodds (who played with Louis Armstrong) another. Han's gone on to play with all of the European avant-garde. Another guy it was hard to get across even a taste of what he does to folks. But youtube comes through again. I'm going with solo stuff just to put the focus on him more clearly, but, as is obvious from the Wes Montgomery, he plays well with others.

This is pretty much a little documentary portrait of Han. (I almost typed "Han solo", without noticing. So glad I caught it, so you didn't have to read it....)

Han Bennink is another guy who I just think must be an alien. Simplicity of materials, and all that music.

1/27/13 11:50 AM
Ali
667 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1/27/13 12:15 PM
Ali

Not sure what's going on with the "How Much is that Doggie In the Window" moment. He apologizes.

And what a beast:

1/28/13 11:18 AM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This guy is stunning, it's like watching a one man French arthouse film on steroids! Absolutely incredible. Han Solo, haha/
1/28/13 6:39 PM
hugomma
834 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Look foward to hearing more of Han 'solo', LOL.  He was great on what I've seen so far of the Wes performance.

1/28/13 9:32 PM
Ali

You'll flip out, Hugo. He was great with Wes, but he's turned into something more, since then.

He played a bunch with saxophonist Peter Brotzmann (yes the noise-maker extreme, with Last Exit among other things). And Brotzmann was bitching about how many "jokes" Han uses in his playing. Something to the effect of "he could be the greatest drummer in the world, but... too many jokes".

And I thought at the time, Brotzmann needs to lighten up. If anybody could use a few musical jokes every once in a while...

It did stick with me that someone as intense as that would say "could be the best in the world".

I don't know about "best", ever. But Han is one of the more astounding, and he "gets" the history of his instrument, no matter how outside or just outrageous he gets.
2/1/13 11:16 AM
Ali

Edited: 02/01/13 11:19 AM
Description from youtube:

Cheese Kit Diptych is an installation by artist Walter Willems consisting of two drum kits. In one, full rounds of real (mainly Dutch) cheese sit atop drum stands; in the other, plastic cheese replicas usually found in store display windows are employed. In this absurd setting Willems reinforces the international stereotype of the Dutch by using a classic Dutch export product as its main ingredient.

Cheese Kit Diptych was created specifically to be played by world-renowned Dutch improvisational jazz drummer Han Bennink. Bennink, ambassador of the Dutch free jazz scene, is known for his ability to drum on any surface, teeming with humor, virtuosity, and creativity through his animated Willems considered his installation incomplete until Bennink played both of the drum kits.

The drum performance by Han Bennink was recorded on June 17, 2005 at the Museum of Contemporary Canadian Art where the Cheese Kit Diptych installation was a featured artwork in the Demons Stole My Soul: rock 'n roll drums in contemporary art exhibition. As part of the performance Bennink also played a conventional drum kit and a pair of wooden shoes.

2/1/13 11:17 AM
Ali

Part 2 of 3:

2/1/13 11:18 AM
Ali

2/1/13 2:14 PM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hans can sure pound some cheese!
2/2/13 10:23 PM
Majic Sam
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/02/13 10:26 PM
Han is the man.The Jazz Icons dvd w/ Wes and Han says it all.Wes is all smiles.Would love to hear more of Han and guitarist Derek Bailey's material.I agree w/ Ali that Peter Brotzman needs slip on the occaisional bannana peel from time to time.

BTW,VTFU Ali!
2/2/13 10:48 PM
Majic Sam
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The "Make a Jazz Noise Here",cut-up rhythmoid version of Bill Burroughs?
2/2/13 11:31 PM
Ali

... only without the whole desperate sex and shoot your wife in the head playing William Tell thing.

That's unfair, because it makes it sound like I don't like Burroughs...!

Good comments, Sam -- sending me down some weird paths of thought!

First I ever really paid attention to Han (knowingly) was Peter Brotzmann's Octet, "Machine Gun". That whole thing is on youtube. Maybe I should post it... but it makes me feel like a pretentious douche to say I like that stuff. Oh well, I do. A bit more approachable are the trio records he did with Christy Doran and Ray Anderson. Now that's some great music!

On Derek Baily -- I don't know the music he did with Han Bennink. I always find Bailey interesting, interesting to read about what he says he's doing.... but very little that I've heard has really drawn me back to the recordings. It's just (get ready) TOO freaking weird, for me. Or I like my noise denser, more *noisy*, maybe. And then, there's always an exception... for me it's Mirakle. A trio with Bailey and Jamaaladeen Tacuma and Grant Calvin Weston. The most fractured of funk. It's still noisy, but it *is* funky, somehow, too, and really cool. Check that one out if you can find it.
2/2/13 11:46 PM
Majic Sam

My favorite Derek Bailey is with Bill Laswell and Tony Williams,the first Arcana rec.The 2nd Arcana had Buckethead and Nicky Skopelitis,Jaki Byard and Tony.2 completely different outings.Will check for DB,JT and GCW.
2/2/13 11:57 PM
Ali

Thanks Majic Sam -- I bought "Arc of the Testimony" after some long searching, because of you, too. Yeah, that's another good one with Bailey, didn't think of it.

For the truly weird, there's Sign of 4, with Bailey and Pat Metheny.... and Metheny does a very good Bailey imitation. Way weirder and even more surprising than Pat's own "Zero Tolerance for Silence". But lots more space and... just plink plonk stuff, too. Which is often my problem with Bailey.

Still, I remain interested.

And yeah, that Arcana is probably the most accessible thing I've ever heard with him, and maybe the best, now that you mention it. I dunno. Certainly that and Mirakle, whichever order.
2/3/13 12:53 AM
Ali

More on Han with others...

Here's a Brotzmann tune, "For Han Bennink" -- from the Machine Gun record, which I warned about already...

And a more trad jazz setting, an altogether sweeter affair, with Tineke Postma on sax:

2/3/13 12:56 AM
Ali

And Han with pianist Michel Bortslap, playing "Take the A Train":

2/3/13 1:01 AM
Ali

And if you ever want a musician on your daytime talk show....
Or maybe, as has been demonstrated earlier, if you want to tour without having to lug around a drum kit... Han is your man:

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.