UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Elite tier of strikers in MMA?

[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
1/27/13 12:38 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
orcus
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/27/13 3:15 PM

(no order)

• Pettis
  • Anderson
  • Aldo
Who else really stands head and shoulders above most? I honestly haven't been dazzled by anythng Overeem has shown yet in MMA. Jones is obviously extraordinarily effective, but I hesitated to include him because he doesn't typically get the same "wow" that the technique of the other three elicits.

I added Machida because DamnSevern reminded me I had forgotten him. But then I thought, Jones and Shogun both beat him standing, so logically they would have to go on too. And personally I just don't feel like those guys are indisputably in that god tier like the three I listed are (especially Shogun, who is often quite sloppy). 

So I guess with this list I mean true God Tier in terms of striking in MMA.
1/27/13 12:43 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
544 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's probably the top tier, with guys like Machida and Cruz just behind them. Phone Post
1/27/13 1:29 PM
DamnSevern
1190 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

how is machida not on that 1st tier?

also Barboza and Cosmo Alexander on the 2nd tier.

1/27/13 1:58 PM
Soup Nazi
1143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

don't forget Cung Le!

1/27/13 2:24 PM
ShawnTheBadger
410 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do they have to have produced "wow" in MMA to be a serious world-class striker? Sometimes the best strikers do not "wow" in MMA because they (obviously) can't solely concentrate on striking.

Not sure about leaving Reem and Hunt off your list simply for the their K-1 Grand Prix Champion accomplishments. Pretty hard to ignore that type of pedigree when discussing strikers. Same with Semi Schilt (sp?) who fought in Pride.

I'd also have to say Crocop (during Pride, ret.). Right leg hospital, left leg morgue.

Melvin Manhoef. I always wanted to see Manhoef vs. Anderson Silva with K-1 rules. Holy crap that would have been good.

Definitely agree with other folks including Jones, Machida, Barboza and Cung Le. How about Cyrille Diabate?

Pat Barry has made me wince and say "wow" more than once.

Mark Hominick (ret.). His technique was outstanding. Picture perfect. A perennial contender.
1/27/13 2:28 PM
Shroom
223 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jake Shields

Demian Maia

Brock Lesnar

1/27/13 2:30 PM
B_Goetz

Edited: 01/27/13 2:32 PM
I think Barboza is among the elite. Etim is a damn good kickboxer and we saw how that went. Hopefully people keep underestimating him because of the Varner fight, and I can keep betting him in the -2xx range.
1/27/13 2:31 PM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mousasi still never dropped standing or outstruck
1/27/13 2:35 PM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Eddie's boxing is really good, just gets caught at least once in a fight hard

Pat Curran is very technical sound and much much better than the average MMA "striker"
1/27/13 2:41 PM
GarlicSauce

Um, Overeem?

Sorry if he can't leap off cages, has to do with him being 6'5" and built like an armored vehicle. His knees are already the standard by which all else are judged.

1/27/13 3:04 PM
FixedPartialArts

GarlicSauce - Um, Overeem?

Sorry if he can't leap off cages, has to do with him being 6'5" and built like an armored vehicle. His knees are already the standard by which all else are judged.

Pettis hasn't just leaped off cages to fit the criteria. He's never been out-struck on the feet.

Overeem on the other hand, has been out-struck several times, i.e. vs. Sergei, Shogun, Chuck, etc.

It's not just Pettis' creativity or offense which makes him elite. It's his striking defense. He seldom gets hit. He circles to a position where you can't him him temporarily, and when Cerrone was lined up look how quickly Pettis would back off when Cerrone started to charge. Look at all the champions, striking D is a common thread amongst their success. Andy, Jones, Cruz, Aldo, and GSP have top notch striking defense. Bendo's and Cain's are solid, not withstanding Cain getting hit as a stationary target w/ a torn acl. As they say, defense wins championships, and that especially rings true in a sport you can lose solely based off one moment.
1/27/13 3:11 PM
Wasa-B
286 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anderson
Aldo
Pettis
Machida

Not Shogun anymore.

I think Reem could be there but in MMA and of recent, he hasnt cemented it yet, but he will.

Jones, i think is up there but its also a mix with his wrestling. There is nothing wrong with utilizing his reach, lol, as if other strikers dont but like GSP, i still think his wrestling is a good core behind it, though he did find his timing on Machida so....

I suppose Hendo should be up there simply based on results.

Anderson is the Grand Master of course where the others are masters.
1/27/13 3:12 PM
Wasa-B
286 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FixedPartialArts - 
GarlicSauce - Um, Overeem?

Pettis hasn't just leaped off cages to fit the criteria. He's never been out-struck on the feet.

Overeem on the other hand, has been out-struck several times, i.e. vs. Sergei, Shogun, Chuck, etc.

It's not just Pettis' creativity or offense which makes him elite. It's his striking defense. He seldom gets hit. He circles to a position where you can't him him temporarily, and when Cerrone was lined up look how quickly Pettis would back off when Cerrone started to charge. Look at all the champions, striking D is a common thread amongst their success. Andy, Jones, Cruz, Aldo, and GSP have top notch striking defense. Bendo's and Cain's are solid, not withstanding Cain getting hit as a stationary target w/ a torn acl. As they say, defense wins championships, and that especially rings true in a sport you can lose solely based off one moment.

Big up on the defense aspects esp on someone like Cruz, people dont realize how sophisticated his movement and defense is.

Mighty Mouse is also good at this despite being caught by Dodson.
BackAndLeft
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Uriah Hall. Phone Post
Wasa-B

liquidrob - Mousasi still never dropped standing or outstruck

He can be off though at times when is ...timing is off and/or gets taken down.
1/27/13 3:13 PM
orcus

DamnSevern - 

Machida -- just forgot him. I'll add him for sure.

"Not sure about leaving Reem and Hunt off your list simply for the their K-1 Grand Prix Champion accomplishments."

I haven't seen them be truly impressive with their striking in MMA. Overeem fleeing from Werdum while eating shots and running from Kharitonov before getting KTFO is probably enough to disqualify him right there, along with many of his LHW fights. 

I thought about Diabate but I admit I haven't paid a ton of attention to most of his fights.

1/27/13 3:14 PM
TheBigBadBootyDaddy
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kru Hughes isn't on the list? Phone Post
1/27/13 3:15 PM
The Sauce
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bendo's overall stand up game is impressive for MMA! He uses a great variety and puts them together very very well! Phone Post
1/27/13 3:16 PM
orcus

Added some notes to OP. I guess I want to single out extraordinary technique and skill and not just "being effective with cinderblock hands and a great chin" and that kind of thing. 

1/27/13 3:19 PM
Wasa-B

Billy Joe Rottoncrotch - 
DamnSevern - 

You think Machida is a better striker than Barboza?

I disagree.

He makes more of an effort to avoid getting hit, but Barboza is faster and has the more diverse weapons in his arsenal.

Barboza has 0 wins over elite fighters though.

I know he's still up and coming but Machida is doing what he does against the best. Speed is not the ultimate criteria, its hitting and not getting hit.

Look at the Bader fight, that is perfection. Can Barboza do that against a wrestler of Bader's caliber?
1/27/13 3:19 PM
Wasa-B

orcus - 

Added some notes to OP. I guess I want to single out extraordinary technique and skill and not just "being effective with cinderblock hands and a great chin" and that kind of thing. 

K, so take Hendo out? ;p

He's def perfected the timing though...but yeah.

Machida/Bader is an example of master craft.
1/27/13 3:21 PM
Wasa-B

This one sequence doesnt do it justice because Machida set up this punch from the beginning of the fight with is "elusiveness" and Bader got impatient and Machida completely capitalized:

1/27/13 3:24 PM
DamnSevern
1190 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wasa-B - 

This one sequence doesnt do it justice because Machida set up this punch from the beginning of the fight with is "elusiveness" and Bader got impatient and Machida completely capitalized:

one of the most underrated ko's of all time

1/27/13 3:28 PM
NorthFromHere
309 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAViking.com
Condit and Swanson are pretty good too
1/27/13 3:51 PM
liquidrob

If his MMA game keeps coming along, watch out, hopefully will be in the next Bellator LW tourney

Cosmo Alexander

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVNmFsLhwp8
[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.