UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Elite tier of strikers in MMA?

1/28/13 9:25 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
D241
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I took something away from you in our debate on Pettis vs wrestlers. I would think you make post to do just that.

But now you go and start acting like the orcus that everyone hates, and I hate it too. You're better than this.

You really mean to tell me you really think you make a strong argument for a fight by posting 4 gifs of it and resorting to fightmetric? 

I mean if that's really how you feel, then I would like some info from you. Please tell me how 4 gifs of a fight is enough to justify how you view who should've won. I'm saying, watch the fight. I provided links to it, it's right there.

But you keep harping on 4 gifs. Why should your argument be strong based on 4 gifs over footage of the actual fight?

1/28/13 9:50 PM
orcus

Edited: 01/28/13 9:51 PM

"Something you really should do if you plan on proudly stating that you think Werdum won the fight."/span>

Wow, are you drunk again or something? "Proudly stating"? What I actually said is that I saw the fight once, live, and if I remember right, I thought Werdum won but that Alistair would certainly get the decision. I also said I thought a draw would be fine although imo both guys lost. 

You're being a bit of a bitch (as usual) by acting like I'm trumpeting from the rooftops that Werdum kicked Alistair's ass. You have two posts in a row whining about it, to go with the other million you've made in this thread about it. Get over it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
1/28/13 9:52 PM
D241

Please tell me how 4 gifs of a fight is enough to justify how you view who should've won. I'm saying, watch the fight. I provided links to it, it's right there.

But you keep harping on 4 gifs. Why should your argument be strong based on 4 gifs over footage of the actual fight?

1/28/13 9:53 PM
D241

Look at how stubborn you are. You have NOTHING to lose by admitting that Overeem beat Werdum. I've already stated that the conditions of this thread, AO isn't there yet. So why are you still trying to say that Werdum won?  IT'S BECAUSE YOU'RE THAT STUBBORN OR IGNORNAT. Which one?

ouch, you called me a bitch. That hurts coming from such a tough trained guy like yourself.

1/28/13 9:56 PM
orcus

"So why are you still trying to say that Werdum won?  IT'S BECAUSE YOU'RE THAT STUBBORN OR IGNORNAT. Which one?"

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

1/28/13 10:06 PM
D241

Anything but watching the fight huh.

Your resorting to anything other than watching the fight says enough. It's got to suck to be you.

1/28/13 10:22 PM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
434 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

While I think Overeem won the fight, it was by no means dominant.  Also, I don't think Werdum got dropped legitimately.  I'm 90% sure he was faking being hurt (ala Fedor fight) so he could lure Overeem into his guard.

1/28/13 10:22 PM
orcus

Yeah --  you see, I've seen the fight; and since I neither enjoyed it, nor care two fucks about who "should" have won, and since those (professionally tallied by guys watching the tape, often in slow-mo or frame-by-frame) stats confirm my foggy memory of the fight in any case, I have exactly zero interest in seeing it again.

It's actually pretty great to be me. 

1/28/13 10:26 PM
D241

You're very sore when someone proves you wrong. It's not a good personality trait.

1/28/13 10:29 PM
orcus

Sorry, what did you prove me wrong about?

1/28/13 10:33 PM
D241

Exactly.

1/29/13 12:52 AM
the BOSS 041ZAR
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shroom - Jake Shields

Demian Maia

Brock Lesnar

voted up

1/29/13 3:30 AM
anpack20
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HenryO - LOL that is just terrible from Bader, running straight at MAchida was really going to work
What's funny is he dropped Vladimir with that punch on Saturday...the leaping punch is one of his things...Machida was just able to capitalize on it. I believe Tito cracked him because of it as well(if I remember correctly). Phone Post
1/29/13 3:41 AM
hagisan
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No love for Bang? Phone Post
1/29/13 6:29 AM
KickYoNuts
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Spong? Overeem? Mousasi? Hunt?

1/29/13 7:01 AM
Proteus The Invincible

orcus - 

"Is there anything Overeem can do to change your mind since he hasn't done anything in your eyes thus far?"

To change my mind that Overeem is on the level of the guys in the OP, all Overeem has to do is display their level of brilliance in the cage. 

"1 bad fight vs his last 10 Mma and kickboxing fights.."

If you look at his last 10 MMA fights you see him taking a lot of guys down and fighting them there rather than standing. In fact you've basically got Duffee, Fujita, and Brock, all three guys that Overeem brute forced rather than displayed technical brilliance against.

Honestly even if you look at his K-1 fights, do you see brilliance? Or do you see a roided up monster powering through guys for the most part? I've only seen a few of them (including a couple losses).

The thread is really about that kind of brilliance, not just getting lots of KOs. Like I would not have put a prime Wand in the conversation, for example, despite his inarguable effectiveness.

Don't pretend that it doesn't take a very large amount of skill to apply brute force and power in order to beat guys like Brock, Spong, Teixeira and Duffee. If you do believe that it requires little skill, then you must also believe that Mariusz Pudzianowski would have the same success that Overeem did against those four men, or at least close to it.
1/29/13 7:31 AM
Gooner H Smith

Wasa-B -

This one sequence doesnt do it justice because Machida set up this punch from the beginning of the fight with is "elusiveness" and Bader got impatient and Machida completely capitalized:

It's like running into a wood chipper. Phone Post
1/31/13 12:49 AM
Wasa-B
255 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Proteus The Invincible - 
orcus - 

"Is there anything Overeem can do to change your mind since he hasn't done anything in your eyes thus far?"

To change my mind that Overeem is on the level of the guys in the OP, all Overeem has to do is display their level of brilliance in the cage. 

"1 bad fight vs his last 10 Mma and kickboxing fights.."

If you look at his last 10 MMA fights you see him taking a lot of guys down and fighting them there rather than standing. In fact you've basically got Duffee, Fujita, and Brock, all three guys that Overeem brute forced rather than displayed technical brilliance against.

Honestly even if you look at his K-1 fights, do you see brilliance? Or do you see a roided up monster powering through guys for the most part? I've only seen a few of them (including a couple losses).

The thread is really about that kind of brilliance, not just getting lots of KOs. Like I would not have put a prime Wand in the conversation, for example, despite his inarguable effectiveness.

Don't pretend that it doesn't take a very large amount of skill to apply brute force and power in order to beat guys like Brock, Spong, Teixeira and Duffee. If you do believe that it requires little skill, then you must also believe that Mariusz Pudzianowski would have the same success that Overeem did against those four men, or at least close to it.

That's a bit of a stretch to make your case.

Reem is obviously no bum but not exactly a smooth technician. There is nothing wrong with using brute force, the #1 thing is to get the job done by any means necessary but i would agree with Orcus in that Reem doesnt really show the kind of "brilliance" that Andy, Aldo, Pettis, Machida do. Of course, its harder to do that like those others when you weight 260lbs.

I still think Reem needs a couple more wins via striking vs top 10 guys before he is considered an proven elite striker in MMA.
1/31/13 12:50 AM
Wasa-B
255 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Spong and Teixeira were not in MMA. Duffee was neve top 10. Brock was a legit win though even as a Brock hater I had to admit he wasnt the same Brock then.
1/31/13 12:51 AM
Wasa-B

Spong is also a small HW that should probably be fighting and could prob make LHW.
1/31/13 1:00 AM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
434 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wasa-B - Spong is also a small HW that should probably be fighting and could prob make LHW.

I believe he made his MMA debut at LHW a couple months ago

1/31/13 1:57 AM
Wasa-B

yeah, saw the fight, couldnt remember what weight it was at but he's def not a legit HW.
1/31/13 2:13 AM
orcus

"Reem is obviously no bum but not exactly a smooth technician. There is nothing wrong with using brute force, the #1 thing is to get the job done by any means necessary but i would agree with Orcus in that Reem doesnt really show the kind of "brilliance" that Andy, Aldo, Pettis, Machida do. Of course, its harder to do that like those others when you weight 260lbs."

Yeah, maybe my OP was not clear. I'm not talking about "most effective strikers" or "guys who KO everybody", I'm talking about artists.

1/31/13 2:33 AM
Wasa-B

If we're talking about artists, then I think Machida/Bader shows a painting from first stroke to punctuation mark. A big part of that art is making guys impatient and make mistakes. That was such an example of that.

What about the Fedor KO of AA, Orcus? If we're talking HWs and brilliant striking. Not sure if that was art but that was def something else the way it went down.

The way Gomi clobbered Azeredo's head twice with both hands to the KO was pretty cool.

The way Igor made Bueno drop was also pretty.

Oh, I know....
1/31/13 2:34 AM
Wasa-B

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.