UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Pettis: Statement of the Year, does Matrix again!

1/27/13 2:19 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Wasa-B
304 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not only did Pettis make one of the biggest statements in a fight campaigning for a title shot, the fight was also being pre-hyped as "potential fight of the night," not only did he show a whole arsenal of freestyle MMA striking (more on this below), not only did he does this:

He did this (again...but with a twist):

I am in utter awe and cant believe Rogan/Goldie both didnt even comment on either of these?!?!?!? Did they miss them? The Matrix Cage Kick in the WEC was one of the HLs in history of MMA and then Pettis did it AGAIN and did them both in 2 high level fights!

And to the fact that Pettis looked almost like a FW vs Cowboy and how he showed punches, kicks, cartwheel kicks, knee off the cage, finishing with a leever kick.....this is the sign of MMA striking coming to a unique place in its evolution imo and Duke Roufus should get super props for this. He's talked about this at length and shared his thoughts with us on the UG on his My MMA Striking Observations IMHO thread and talked about how unique MMA striking is and how he and his fighters combine not just the standard boxing/kickboxing/muay thai but everything any of them have learned up to now.  Duke comes iirc from a karate and full contact karate background originally and Pettis and Koch TKD? You can obviously see the athletici ability not only in their kicking but their stance and movement imo is different from the standard MMA kickboxing we see. With Pettis, like Anderson, you just dont know what the hell he is gonna do.

And not to say Pettis is up on Andy's level yet but I'm seeing the similarity in their freestyle/unorthodox ways in combining different styles and tailoring it for their own style for MMA. Koch too, he lost but he was coming off a layoff but is only 24 and at 5'10" at FW, he's gonna be a force in the coming years. I thought his striking looked good too btw, Lamas just proved he's one of the top contenders at the moment, no shame there.

Anyhow, Pettis, in the statement of the year at the moment and i think will be at least up there at the end of the year too. Big up to Pettis and Duke for giving us something not only exciting but innovative.

1/27/13 2:26 PM
bonersaurus
112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree. He's a special fighter and if he rises to the top his style will attract new fans. Phone Post
1/27/13 2:28 PM
Bisping NEEDS to retire
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Was amazed they didnt seem to even notice the first one, it was pretty cool
1/27/13 2:28 PM
shorebreaker420
1020 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I honestly forgot how good that dude was Phone Post
1/27/13 2:30 PM
caposa
1700 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So glad this kid is back fighting

1/27/13 2:31 PM
Leck Brosnar

It really is weird how he can handle Benson pretty efficiently, "lose" to Guida, barely get by Stephens but highlight reels Cerrone like a boss.
1/27/13 2:34 PM
GroundStPound

Leck Brosnar - It really is weird how he can handle Benson pretty efficiently, "lose" to Guida, barely get by Stephens but highlight reels Cerrone like a boss.
Styles make fights son. Phone Post
1/27/13 2:35 PM
Wasa-B
304 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GroundStPound - 
Leck Brosnar - It really is weird how he can handle Benson pretty efficiently, "lose" to Guida, barely get by Stephens but highlight reels Cerrone like a boss.

IIRC, Bendo/Pettis was super close and likely won at the end of the Matrix kick.

Both guys have improved, lets do this shit again.
1/27/13 2:35 PM
mixedmartialmike

GroundStPound -
Everyone progresses too the sport is dynamic people improve and change. Phone Post
1/27/13 2:37 PM
Wasa-B

IDOHARM -  Everybody shits on Tae Kwon Do. Stop that. Phone Post

Yup, the irony of the MMA wave, more so with Johnny Blue Belts, I can take Tysons on the UG, is that they still thought belts in BJJ meant everything when at the same time shitting on anything "TMA" affiliated.

I think we know, in general, kickboxing is the more effective over TKD but people were making it seem like there is nothing to gain from TKD or any TMA. We now know this is BS. And we always knew that even BJJ, wrestling, etc all had to be tweeked for MMA and everyone has to cross train.
1/27/13 2:37 PM
Wasa-B

IMO, its not just that Pettis is an "exciting striker" but he is so because he is creative and unpredictable.
1/27/13 2:38 PM
Wasa-B

Here is the finishing leever kick:

1/27/13 2:41 PM
FloridaStriker

silly kids. Neither of those circus act moves did any damage. Might of been why you didnt hear about them. But oowwww ahhhh he did something pretty. He is totally top 5 now.

Fucking tards

Cerrone has been a punching bag since he got into the UFC
1/27/13 2:41 PM
UGCTT_LastCall
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No can reecoveer from a keeck to the leever.
1/27/13 2:43 PM
bonersaurus
112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GroundStPound -
I also think he was a bit nervous coming off a loss like he did with Guida. A lot of guys play it safe after losing. He's back on track now and I'm pretty sure the fight with Stephens would be completely different now. Until judging is fixed he should avoid guys like Guida at all cost. Phone Post
1/27/13 2:46 PM
Dogman

Hes been working on his Capoeira
1/27/13 2:47 PM
falkofire
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He'll b the best at it until someone with a strong bouldering rock claiming base joins mma

I'm assuming they will be Swiss Phone Post
1/27/13 2:47 PM
falkofire
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

falkofire - He'll b the best at it until someone with a strong bouldering rock claiming base joins mma

I'm assuming they will be Swiss Phone Post
**climbing Phone Post
1/27/13 2:54 PM
SOO72

FloridaStriker - silly kids. Neither of those circus act moves did any damage. Might of been why you didnt hear about them. But oowwww ahhhh he did something pretty. He is totally top 5 now.

Fucking tards

Cerrone has been a punching bag since he got into the UFC

Troll. Put him in against Bendo and he kicks the shit out of him and takes the belt.

1/27/13 2:54 PM
Wasa-B

ttt
1/27/13 2:55 PM
SOO72

It's also funny that Rogan missed hat cartwheel kick connecting and called it as a knee for Cerrone. Understandable though as it happened so fast.
1/27/13 3:02 PM
wiggum
279 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great post.

AP is one of the best mixes of flash and function that we have ever seen. I can't wait to watch him grow.
1/27/13 3:04 PM
orcus

"And to the fact that Pettis looked almost like a FW vs Cowboy"

I don't know how the hell Cerrone is 155. He is 6' and not skinny. 

But yeah, it was crazy that Rogan and Goldie had no reaction to those moves.

1/27/13 3:05 PM
Wasa-B

wiggum - Great post.

AP is one of the best mixes of flash and function that we have ever seen. I can't wait to watch him grow.

TTT for flash AND function! ;)
1/27/13 3:06 PM
DamnSevern
1192 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love this sport

voted up

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.