UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Any TMA Gym added Bjj to the programme??

1/27/13 3:02 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Master Bater
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I Am a TMA instructor (Kempo karate-jitsu) of many years and have been running a large club for the last 15 of them.

as a side interest i have been training bjj/Gjj on and off (not nearly enough) for about 10 years. and although i have great fun and admiration for the art i have unfortunately never had the time i wanted to be able to commit enough to train more often ( i dont hold a rank of any kind, but more importantly nor do i claim to)

I have long wondered if i could add bjj/Gjj to my current clubs programme to be able to offer more people the chance to train in this very addictive art.
so my thought was i could have a regular qualified Bjj/Gjj instructor come teach classes at our club as a completely separate entity to our current syllabus (obviously) and this would (selfishly i know) also allow me, myself to train as a student like i always wanted.

i would pay for the hall space/training slots and my intention is not really to earn anything out of it, just be able to offer it as part of the programme, so it goes without saying that the Instructor would be getting paid for it.

i would take care of everything else like advertising etc...

so i wondered how this normally works and if anyone else had already done this to give me some feedback.

i was offered an affiliation to a very well know Bjj group about 2 years back, who were to send a Black Belt full time to teach and set up the classes - and although i was up for it, we would have had to pay for his flat/house too, and this was getting a little too expensive.

the main reason i have put this off since then is i do NOT have a full time academy/gym of my own (been looking for many years) but i do have a separate studio/hall(leisure centre) that i use 5 days per week and have been for the last 13 years

any serious feedback would be great.

thanks
1/27/13 5:22 PM
gusto
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the doesnt often work out, though it seems like it should
1/27/13 6:18 PM
allchokedup
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We share ourbgym with a kenpo gym. The guy who runs the kenpo program got his blue belt not long ago. I think they are ran totally separate which is the best way. A few of the kenpo guys trane but not so much the other way. The kenpo guys let us come in and use a peice of mat even when they are doing their thing. We all just get along because thays the way grown ups do it
1/27/13 6:36 PM
andrewn
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know several TMA guys who started BJJ programs at their schools by having good BB's come along and do seminars, then work the rest out for themselves. Realistically, you'd probably want to try and train at another BJJ club as well - and get graded eventually.

The other BB really expected you to pay for his accommodation? That's ridiculous.
1/27/13 6:43 PM
Master Bater
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/27/13 6:48 PM
^ i like that allchokedup lol.. why shouldn't everyone get along? i dont really expect many of the TMA guy's and girls to do the Bjj, but its not unthinkable. i would want them run them totally separate.

our system is very different from your stand in line karate type thing, with lots of solid stand-up sparring. so its not unlike a gym that has both Muay Thai/MMA and Jiu jitsu under the same roof.

I have had our guys take professional K1 rules cage fights and win them with only our style as their background (the only real difference for them was taking the gi off) so if they did want to train bjj to add a ground game then that could be good for them.

have any Bjj guys here taught classes at a TMA, MMA gym? and if so what was the agreement? pay wise?

cheers
1/27/13 6:47 PM
Master Bater

gusto - the doesnt often work out, though it seems like it should

why? have you had a bad experience of this bud?
1/27/13 6:54 PM
Master Bater

andrewn - I know several TMA guys who started BJJ programs at their schools by having good BB's come along and do seminars, then work the rest out for themselves. Realistically, you'd probably want to try and train at another BJJ club as well - and get graded eventually.

The other BB really expected you to pay for his accommodation? That's ridiculous.

i get what you mean, the problem is that i just cant get away enough to train regularly to get to any kind of level to grade. but as i would be at the gym anyway i would take part in all the classes -

yes the guy (BB) was coming over from America and staying for a year to set it all up, and on top of him getting paid weekly for teaching he need to accommodation paid for the year too..i guess its understandable to a degree, but as it was being set uop as an affiliation that would have made the main club money too, some of the costs (imo) could have been covered by the main group?
1/27/13 10:31 PM
Mitey Mouze
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You could look in to becoming a certified Gracie training center. Do the Gracie combatitives curriculum, become a certified instructor and then integrate that in to your Current training.
https://www.gracieuniversity.com/faq.aspx?enc=Ln249EwkeRMt5wMjSFiglg==
No, it's not the same as having a black belt at your school, but it's a decent solution for those who don't have access to a high level bjj instructor. Phone Post
1/27/13 10:50 PM
kying418
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do you have any bjj schools in the local area? To me, it seems like an awful lot of headache and work to hire someone to teach bjj, just so you can train bjj yourself.

If there are no BJJ schools around, I would say get a group of people and train dilligently yourselves (seeing that you arent a beginner- having trained off and on for 10 years). After awhile, get graded under a legit teacher/association, and begin teaching your own classes as a blue belt.
1/28/13 12:46 PM
pelekys
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kying418 - Do you have any bjj schools in the local area? To me, it seems like an awful lot of headache and work to hire someone to teach bjj, just so you can train bjj yourself.

If there are no BJJ schools around, I would say get a group of people and train dilligently yourselves (seeing that you arent a beginner- having trained off and on for 10 years). After awhile, get graded under a legit teacher/association, and begin teaching your own classes as a blue belt.

OP, If there are no legit teachers in your area, then this is your best bet.

1/28/13 3:07 PM
Master Bater

plenty of legit teachers in my area in truth, just all classes are on same time as i teach my own classes, or at best are too far for me to get to AND get back to teach my own classes.
1/28/13 3:14 PM
allchokedup

there is another Kenpo school in my area that added bjj to their curriculum. They had a BB from another local school come over and teach classes 3 nights a week.
1/28/13 4:59 PM
Master Bater

^^ yep, thats kind of the idea i am having.. but wanted to know if anyone had done this (from either the TMA instructors or the BJJ instructors side)

how it was set up, the pay structure etc.
1/28/13 8:48 PM
Master Bater

3t
1/29/13 6:48 PM
Master Bater

bump
1/29/13 8:35 PM
shen
502 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/30/13 7:41 PM
No.

But I own a BJJ school and have been looking to bring in a "Shaolin Kenpo Karate" teacher a couple days a week. Nothing too crazy, just want to get my guys to learn "Thundering Hammers", "Seven Sword Hands", maybe get pointers on their Cat Stance... stuff like that.
1/29/13 9:25 PM
elbigsam
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My advice is to approach one of the reputable schools head instructor, and ask them if they can reccomend one of their advanced students to work for you part time. It actually works out that their current classes run when your classes run. This way you add to your class schedule not replace.

The advanced student instructor would be teaching his coaches brand of jiujitsu, you set up a deal with the head instructor to do quarterly seminars and grading. He can confer with his student, everyone makes money, all legit. Phone Post
1/30/13 6:11 AM
DarrenMullen

Master Bater - ^^ yep, thats kind of the idea i am having.. but wanted to know if anyone had done this (from either the TMA instructors or the BJJ instructors side)

how it was set up, the pay structure etc.

Good question! What is the typical pay structure/arrangement for BJJ instructors teaching out of TMA schools?
1/30/13 6:29 AM
Master Bater

shen - No.

But I own a BJJ school and have been looking to bring in a "Shaolin Kenpo Karate" teacher a couple days a week.

Nothing too crazy, just want to get my guys to learn "Thundering Hammers", "Severn Sword hands", maybe get pointers on their Cat Stance... stuff like that.

5/10 :)
1/30/13 6:32 AM
Master Bater

elbigsam -  My advice is to approach one of the reputable schools head instructor, and ask them if they can reccomend one of their advanced students to work for you part time. It actually works out that their current classes run when your classes run. This way you add to your class schedule not replace.

The advanced student instructor would be teaching his coaches brand of jiujitsu, you set up a deal with the head instructor to do quarterly seminars and grading. He can confer with his student, everyone makes money, all legit. Phone Post

thanks bud, i think this is the plan. i think most would be open to it, and the days of rubbishing other arts (TMA's) as a bjj school are mostly over.... is that right shen? ;)
1/30/13 8:02 AM
Akston
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pm me Phone Post
1/30/13 6:22 PM
Master Bater

who me?
1/30/13 7:57 PM
John Frankl
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seldom if ever works. The reasons are self evident to anyone who has seriously trained both.
1/30/13 11:50 PM
kying418
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

John Frankl - Seldom if ever works. The reasons are self evident to anyone who has seriously trained both.

I agree- like I said before, this is a huge headache waiting to happen, just so you can train.
2/1/13 1:01 AM
Santino DeFranco
111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I teach at a TMA school and it's working out pretty well. The place I teach at (in Flagstaff, AZ) is a TKD place (mainly kids, but some adult classes), but all of the kick boxing and bjj classes are priced differently (separate from any of the TMA classes). I get 50% of all income from BJJ and Kick boxing, and he gets 50%.

I really like the set up and it's working out well for both of us.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.