UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Training whilst having High Blood Pressure?

1/27/13 4:00 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Tilla
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think I might have HBP, but I also love working out, is there any forms of exercise that you would advise ,e to do and advise me to avoid?
1/27/13 4:37 PM
Mihow
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You should probably make sure you have HBP first

and in my completely unprofessional opinion, WORK OUT!
1/27/13 4:45 PM
Tilla

I do work out, a lot.
1/27/13 5:26 PM
Mihow
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

over weight? drink a lot of stimulants? what makes you think you have HBP? taking anything for it?

for me (again, just personal experience): My BP is dramatically reduced when I remember to take my fish oil consistently. 9 grams a day. I feel better, less nervous, less emotional (if that makes sense) just better overall
1/27/13 7:24 PM
Tilla

Mihow - over weight? drink a lot of stimulants? what makes you think you have HBP? taking anything for it?

for me (again, just personal experience): My BP is dramatically reduced when I remember to take my fish oil consistently. 9 grams a day. I feel better, less nervous, less emotional (if that makes sense) just better overall

Multiple nosebleeds a week (I had 2 last night, one which looked like I went 3 rounds with Fedor, and I had me this morning), a feeling of boiling up/getting really hot, and a funny feeling in my head after the nosebleeds.
1/27/13 8:38 PM
Ham and Egger
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tilla - 
Mihow - over weight? drink a lot of stimulants? what makes you think you have HBP? taking anything for it?

Multiple nosebleeds a week (I had 2 last night, one which looked like I went 3 rounds with Fedor, and I had me this morning), a feeling of boiling up/getting really hot, and a funny feeling in my head after the nosebleeds.

Ehhh... Just go to a pharmacy and use the BP station. May wanna see a doc about those other symptoms.
1/28/13 10:27 AM
fearOfABlackPlanet

Be careful with that, ignoring it and working out could fix it, or it could result in an enlarged heat and congestive heart failure. I would start with cleaning up your diet and walking a lot.However, YOU NEED TO KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DEALING WITH !

I mean if it is high enough it could be very dangerous to workout with it.

What are your other risk factors? drinking, smoking, fatbody? How old are you? Do you have a family history of high B/P, coronary disease or type 2 diabetes?
1/28/13 10:37 AM
Tilla

Edited: 01/28/13 10:37 AM
Fat.

I've blown up over the last few years but I still train hard.
1/28/13 10:39 AM
fearOfABlackPlanet

Cut your carbs and walk till you lose weight.
1/28/13 10:39 AM
fearOfABlackPlanet

Cut your carbs and walk till you lose weight.
1/28/13 1:33 PM
Tilla

Apart from walking on an empty stomach first thing in the morning, shall I also walk in the afternoon or on the night as well?
1/28/13 3:54 PM
cruedi
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

walk as much as you can, and clean up your diet, avoid trans fats like the plague, they're a big part of hbp.

How old are you, you can try getting more l-arginine and magnesium in your diets or take some supplements to lower your bp. Are you taking anything like prilosec or previcad daily? They can actually cause HBP.
1/28/13 4:39 PM
Tilla

29. No, I'm not on any medication.

How much walking per day (miles/minutes) should I be doing? Would it be ok to use an Eliptical Machine instead?
1/28/13 4:45 PM
cruedi
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Any way you can get it is good. I love the stair master personally so I can read while I'm working out. But if the weather is nice, it's good to get outside and get some natural vit D which is also good for HBP.
1/28/13 5:07 PM
Tilla

Raining cats and dogs here in England, cruedi. Haha.

The Elpitical can be used like a stair-master with a few notches raised on the incline levels ;-)

Thanks for the reply.
1/28/13 7:09 PM
cruedi

The company I work for is HQ in northern ireland, I'm out there 3 - 4 times a year. I think I've seen the sun 3 times out there. But I just say that's good Bushmills weather.
1/29/13 11:14 AM
fearOfABlackPlanet

any type of cardio is good, i just said walking because it is easy and people tend to stick to it. as far as distance I would do as much as you have time for.
1/30/13 12:49 AM
Seul
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Have you gotten your blood pressure checked yet? High blood pressure is generally asymptomatic until it starts getting pretty bad, very often folks don't know they have it until they are already pushing dangerously high levels.

It's incredibly easy to check your BP now, stop at literally any pharmacy and there will be a machine that will do it for you for free (most fo the grocery stores in my area have set up pharmacies in the store, so they're everywhere in my area).

if your blood pressure is 140/90, yes you need to get it addresed and should change your lifestyle and set up an appointment with a doctor, but if its 170/110 or something you should go ahead and drive straight to an urgent care clinic and get yourself straightened out with medications UNTIL you can manage it with diet/exercise/lifestyle.

If your blood pressure is extremely elevated, you can have a stroke, a heart attack, suffer kidney or liver damage, etc.

I have had young-ish patients (like in their 30's and 40's) who are either half-paralyzed due to strokes or requiring dialysis to continue living because the kidneys got ruined from obscenely high, uncontrolled blood pressures. Things that make your BP jump up a ton from your baseline (like hard exercise, sex, etc) can be outright dangerous if your baseline blood pressure is really high.

get it checked!
1/30/13 12:51 AM
Seul
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

and fearofblackplanet has given you some of the best advice you will get, start doing a lot of walking and eat less. lose weight until you would no longer be considered fat or heavy.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.