UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Epsom Salt baths for cutting weight

1/28/13 4:45 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
glock4life
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It works. But no way you're getting twenty pounds. The athlete needs to have already basically pre-cut using conventional methods, then do the bath. I have seen it take about 6 pounds at the most in a two hour time period. I have seen it take four off in less than an hour as well, so it really all depends on how much water the fighter has already shed before doing the bath. Phone Post
1/28/13 5:28 PM
CompleteDevestation
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've done it before. I've lost 2lbs at most trying it like 3 times. Can be more productive in a sauna in my opinion Phone Post
1/28/13 5:43 PM
Eatin Applesauce

i cut from 160 to 145.4 in 24 hour using the bath,actually got about 2 off sweating on treadmill,but i couldnt stand the water too hot,i lost most the weight in warm water enough to bare and keep entire body in.was better to me then sauna
1/28/13 5:57 PM
Poop Doodle
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Victor Conte mentioned it on JRE.
1/28/13 6:03 PM
Poop Doodle
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This, too:
https://twitter.com/VictorConte/status/263704084719210496
1/28/13 6:19 PM
BUFFGEO
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The salt is important because when the environment outside your body has a higher level of salt content then inside your body, the salt will just start pulling the moisture out of you. Technically, it doesnt even need to be hot it just makes it go a hell of a lot faster.
The same thing happens when you spend all day at the beach (assuming your swimming all day), you just dont notice because your drinking a lot.

If you prep your body to dump moisture by upping your salt and water intake a shitload the week before then cutting it off totally before weigh in day your body will be trying to dump water like mad. If you don't know how to do the prep before hand you wont lose that much, thats why most people are saying it doesnt work or it didnt work for them
1/28/13 7:03 PM
Blunderhooks
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BUFFGEO - The salt is important because when the environment outside your body has a higher level of salt content then inside your body, the salt will just start pulling the moisture out of you. Technically, it doesnt even need to be hot it just makes it go a hell of a lot faster.
The same thing happens when you spend all day at the beach (assuming your swimming all day), you just dont notice because your drinking a lot.

If you prep your body to dump moisture by upping your salt and water intake a shitload the week before then cutting it off totally before weigh in day your body will be trying to dump water like mad. If you don't know how to do the prep before hand you wont lose that much, thats why most people are saying it doesnt work or it didnt work for them
I was just about to ask about this.

I heard about that on the Iron Radio podcast and it was like a light bulb went off "oh, THAT'S how they do it".

You always hear about the saunas and the baths but never about the chugging gallons of water and salt pills for a few days before.

Maybe that was the part Gabe Rudiger missed on TUF. Perhaps he could even have gotten away with the cake! Phone Post
1/28/13 7:15 PM
Sagiv Lapkin's #1 Fan
162 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

frontdesk mma - Those that have used this method for weight cutting please chime in...We are trying this method out for the first time for a 20lb cut before Friday weigh-ins. Tips? Phone Post
You're experimenting this close to a fight?!?!

What the fuck? Phone Post
1/28/13 11:37 PM
Sarah Kaufman
179 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really like the epsom salt bath for me personally. I hate the sauna. It's really all preference. I do a water and salt load then switch to distilled water leading up to cutting. Then I'll do epsom salt the night before weigh ins mixed with light movement in my sauna suit (but not in a sauna). Do the same thing the next day and I'm down 12-15 lbs easily.

I probably wouldnt' switch it up without having tried the method before, especially for 20 lbs. Just my 2 cents.

1/28/13 11:53 PM
Koga

Thanks. I have a wrestling tourn from 12-7 on Sunday and weigh ins at 5 on Sat evening. Any comments on the following (only 8 lbs to go as of Tues but pretty famished already after eating little for a week):

Tues: last training session wrestling and a run
Wed and Thurs: water and salt load, eat light
Fri: light breakfast and lunch, no dinner, distilled water, no fluids after 5 pm
Fri night: salt bath
Sat: no fluids, food before weigh in, sauna as needed.

Sat after weigh in: rehydrate with gatorade, then eat (several small meals).

Any thoughts would be appreciated, as would suggestions on what to eat Sat after weigh in and Sun before competing at noon (and during competition). Thanks, Koga!

1/29/13 12:18 AM
useless
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not Gatorade. Drink water and fresh juice if possible. Phone Post
1/29/13 4:03 AM
Fight! UK Online
214 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sarah Kaufman - 

I really like the epsom salt bath for me personally. I hate the sauna. It's really all preference. I do a water and salt load then switch to distilled water leading up to cutting. Then I'll do epsom salt the night before weigh ins mixed with light movement in my sauna suit (but not in a sauna). Do the same thing the next day and I'm down 12-15 lbs easily.

I probably wouldnt' switch it up without having tried the method before, especially for 20 lbs. Just my 2 cents.

This. Except I generally don't move around much inbetween baths, just stay warm under towels etc. Don't have too much energy by that point haha.

I hate the sauna and, whilst baths suck, it's preferable for me and does work if you prep right.

However, if you haven't done it before and your body isn't ready for it, a sauna is the easiest way. Don't expect to jump in a bath and for miracles to work!

1/29/13 6:34 AM
LiftStrong
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have never tried the full poly plunge, might give it a test run in a few weeks. Last time I cut weight I took off the last 5 lbs during a 3 hr drive with the heat blasting, wearing a sauna suit and sweat suit. Didnt enjoy that process too much!
1/29/13 7:12 AM
Twister Trent
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I used the Epsom salts in a bath and it fucking sucked, but I was a pretty skinny kid already, having to cut 7 lbs and already being skinny was awful. Phone Post
1/29/13 8:04 AM
Sequoyah Sandford
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I use salt baths with alcohol for my cuts. I typically lose just under 3lbs after a 10-15 minute bath and another 10-15 minute rest under blankets while in my sauna suit. I use 6lbs of salt 5 bottles of alcohol. I pour the alcohol directly on my skin for best results. I can only take one bath at my house though due to having a small hot water heater but i assume if i were to take a few more I could lose upwards of 8-9 lbs probably more. I also just exercise the last couple pounds off. I do not usually cut more than 5lbs in water. Phone Post
1/29/13 8:06 AM
Sequoyah Sandford
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sarah Kaufman -

This is spot on. Phone Post
1/29/13 8:10 AM
Sequoyah Sandford

Also there is a very important process leading up to the cut which will determine the amount of water you can shed. Things like drinking distilled water, cutting out salt, lowering your carbohydrate intake significantly, just to name a few basic steps. Leigh has a good thread in the strength and conditioning forum about it. Phone Post
1/29/13 8:20 AM
DreamoflickingcreamoffPettisstream
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great info. Phone Post
1/29/13 8:37 AM
cripplersc
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I cap for 9 hour straight. Good for 25 pounds Phone Post
1/29/13 8:38 AM
cripplersc
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fap* Phone Post
1/29/13 11:08 AM
XmmaAddictX
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had success with epsom salts bath. I never cut more than 5lbs though and its for grappling/bjj competitions so always day of weigh ins. Phone Post
1/29/13 11:42 AM
frontdesk mma
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sarah Kaufman -

Thanks Sarah! as a female in the sport I'm excited to see response from someone I look up to! I should have clarified it was 20lbs to go when I originally posted on Sunday. He is now waking up at 184 before he drinks/eats. So it will probably only be around a 12lb cut by the time he gets down to really cutting water weight later in the week. After research and help from this post I think the cut will involve both bath and sauna but mainly sauna since its more familiar. Again I appreciate everyone's input/advice and hope it gave insight to others that may need it as well! I know he will be bringing the pain Saturday! :) Phone Post
1/29/13 11:42 AM
frontdesk mma
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sarah Kaufman -

Thanks Sarah! as a female in the sport I'm excited to see response from someone I look up to! I should have clarified it was 20lbs to go when I originally posted on Sunday. He is now waking up at 184 before he drinks/eats. So it will probably only be around a 12lb cut by the time he gets down to really cutting water weight later in the week. After research and help from this post I think the cut will involve both bath and sauna but mainly sauna since its more familiar. Again I appreciate everyone's input/advice and hope it gave insight to others that may need it as well! I know he will be bringing the pain Saturday! :) Phone Post
1/29/13 12:00 PM
Chaz Johnson

I had a bath in that stuff last night it helps you poop and gets rid of minor bruises and sprains Phone Post
1/29/13 6:45 PM
xakx

ttt

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.