UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Epsom Salt baths for cutting weight

1/29/13 11:11 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
xakx
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is it 'safe' to do that? These methods don't sound healthy, is there any short term or long term risks/side effects?
1/30/13 8:46 AM
Fight! UK Online
230 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's not especially good for you to cut weight via any of these methods, but a necessary evil these days. I know guys that have got kidney problems etc. and there have been young wrestlers that have died from cutting weight.

11/1/13 3:59 AM
Bentleysuper8

Found this interesting article on cutting weight that is pretty detailed.

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2008/01/18/how-to-cut-weight/
11/1/13 4:54 AM
ano8tsixxx

For later
11/1/13 8:31 AM
Ramy Daoud
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttt Phone Post 3.0
11/1/13 8:45 AM
tecknowledge

just curious, has anyone tried adding a lot of ground up ginger to the salt bath as well?

i tried this once and noticed way more sweating.
11/1/13 9:23 AM
RockTheVote
557 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i have a fight coming up in december. im typically 18-20 over a week out, 12 lbs over the day before and 8 or 9 the morning of my weigh in. my partner did a bath cut last fight and he liked it. i think i might try one bath soak in the morning to see how much comes off, but plan on finishing in the sauna in the afternoon, since i know it and trust it. if the bath works well, maybe i switch over to it, but id be nervous to totally trust a new technique heading into a fight. sarah is spot on with the water tricks. sodium load then sodium dump. water load then distilled water to flush out the salt.

11/1/13 10:02 AM
RooJitsu
442 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Phone Post
11/1/13 10:03 AM
Tyrone sBong
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post 3.0
11/1/13 10:05 AM
Sequoyah Sandford
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

frontdesk mma - Those that have used this method for weight cutting please chime in...We are trying this method out for the first time for a 20lb cut before Friday weigh-ins. Tips? Phone Post
This is what I do.

First i don't cut more than 5lbs in water. Anything more makes my brain a little too dehydrate and I don't quite feel right. I typically come down to 135 from 165. I am 6'0".

Supplies:
5-6 bottles of green rubbing alcohol
2-3 6lb bags of epsom salt
(Optional) albolene

Method:
Pour 1 bag of salt in first bath, make water as hot as you can physically stand then get in pour green rubbing alcohol directly on your skin and rub it in so it opens your pours fully. Then lay back and try to submerge as much of your self as possible. I do 10-15 min in the bath. Once you are done get out an dry off.

Next: immediately put on your sauna suit and any other clothes you have and go lay under some blankets for 15-20min wrap yourself up in a cacoon if you can. You can even put the blankets in the dryer so they are hot when you are laying causing you to sweat more.

Next, strip down and take another bath using 1/2 bag or whole bag of salt and another bottle of alcohol to your skin. And rinse and repeat until you are on weight.

It usually takes me a hour maybe 2 to get the weight off. The last 5lbs is really stubborn for me so it might not take you nearly as long. As for cutting 20lbs via a bath i do not recommend it. If say no more than 10lbs using this method. I do combine both dry sauna an bath for my cuts.

Hope this helps. Phone Post 3.0
11/1/13 10:19 AM
Bench
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I did a bath cut recently for a fight.
I had already salt loaded all my food and drank at least 6 litres of water about 5-7 days out then the day before the the weigh in/bath only eat steamed chicken, broccoli and 6 litres of distilled water.
For the bath put it to near boiling with Epsom salts, sit in it for 10 minutes then get out put on sweater, sweat pants, cover in blankets for 25-30 mins. Doing more baths you'll cut more but with each bath a bit less.
I cut maybe 4-5 pounds in the bath and all up about 14 pounds in the last day or 2.
I've done sauna in the past for wrestling competitions and would be hard pressed to say which is worse as they both suck :) Phone Post 3.0
11/1/13 10:20 AM
Bench
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And make sure to have a friend who knows what they are doing and can monitor you. Phone Post 3.0
11/1/13 11:06 AM
Sequoyah Sandford
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes have some one there to watch you! You can pass out when you stand up! Phone Post 3.0
11/1/13 11:12 AM
kid chaos
203 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post 3.0
11/1/13 11:51 AM
8flat
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wicked smahtMF - osmosis. it works by creating a concentraion gradient accross a semi-permeable membrane. dissolved solutes conentration that is. water will move along a conc gradient and across a SPM from areas of high water conc/ low solute conc to areas of relatively lower water conc/ higher solute conc. as a result/ accordingly, exposing the bodies internal environment (composed mostly of water and dissolved solutes)to an external environment of higher solute/ salt conc separated by a selectively/ semi-permeable membrane = the skin, will cause water within the body to move towards areas of lower water/ higher solute conc... or the salt-water bath. ur basically creating what is called a hypertonic solution.

so no its not a wives tale or myth. its physics and it works. prob works well as evidenced by people in this thread warning to go easy.

Makes sense, good explanation. VTFU
11/1/13 11:53 AM
no-gi_JAMES420
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In for learnins Phone Post
11/1/13 1:11 PM
dannybjj
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
22 days ago
thegreatone287
101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great information here fellas.
21 days ago
Leigh
917 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wicked smahtMF - osmosis. it works by creating a concentraion gradient accross a semi-permeable membrane. dissolved solutes conentration that is. water will move along a conc gradient and across a SPM from areas of high water conc/ low solute conc to areas of relatively lower water conc/ higher solute conc. as a result/ accordingly, exposing the bodies internal environment (composed mostly of water and dissolved solutes)to an external environment of higher solute/ salt conc separated by a selectively/ semi-permeable membrane = the skin, will cause water within the body to move towards areas of lower water/ higher solute conc... or the salt-water bath. ur basically creating what is called a hypertonic solution.

so no its not a wives tale or myth. its physics and it works. prob works well as evidenced by people in this thread warning to go easy.
On the surface this makes sense but it is incorrect. Concentration gradients across the membrane doesn't draw out water - we don't draw in water from a non-salted bath, despite the sodium concentration in our sweat glands.

Try sitting in the bath with no water and just pour salt on your body. That amount of salt should dry you out in no time, right? Nope, I tried it. I also tried dumping over 10kg of salt into a hot bath. All it did was sting like fuck. No additional weight loss over a regular hot bath.

The hot bath works because your temperature receptors and hypothalamus start perspiration. Because you are in 100% humidity (unlike a sauna) there is no cooling action from the evaporation of sweat, so you continue to sweat.

I've trialled them over and over. Albolene does nothing special, it is simply the petroleum jelly creating a layer and keeping heat it. It doesn't open your pores or any of that stuff.

None of them have any benefit over a simple hot bath. It must be over body temperature (37°C) and preferably around 40°+. 38°-39° will still work but slowly.

Try it for yourselves. Hot bath, no alcohol, salt etc. Then try one with that stuff and record the results. No difference Phone Post 3.0
21 days ago
Sequoyah Sandford

Leigh - 
Wicked smahtMF - osmosis. it works by creating a concentraion gradient accross a semi-permeable membrane. dissolved solutes conentration that is. water will move along a conc gradient and across a SPM from areas of high water conc/ low solute conc to areas of relatively lower water conc/ higher solute conc. as a result/ accordingly, exposing the bodies internal environment (composed mostly of water and dissolved solutes)to an external environment of higher solute/ salt conc separated by a selectively/ semi-permeable membrane = the skin, will cause water within the body to move towards areas of lower water/ higher solute conc... or the salt-water bath. ur basically creating what is called a hypertonic solution.

On the surface this makes sense but it is incorrect. Concentration gradients across the membrane doesn't draw out water - we don't draw in water from a non-salted bath, despite the sodium concentration in our sweat glands.

Try sitting in the bath with no water and just pour salt on your body. That amount of salt should dry you out in no time, right? Nope, I tried it. I also tried dumping over 10kg of salt into a hot bath. All it did was sting like fuck. No additional weight loss over a regular hot bath.

The hot bath works because your temperature receptors and hypothalamus start perspiration. Because you are in 100% humidity (unlike a sauna) there is no cooling action from the evaporation of sweat, so you continue to sweat.

I've trialled them over and over. Albolene does nothing special, it is simply the petroleum jelly creating a layer and keeping heat it. It doesn't open your pores or any of that stuff.

None of them have any benefit over a simple hot bath. It must be over body temperature (37°C) and preferably around 40°+. 38°-39° will still work but slowly.

Try it for yourselves. Hot bath, no alcohol, salt etc. Then try one with that stuff and record the results. No difference Phone Post 3.0

This

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.