UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> What's next for Gray Maynard?

1/27/13 11:00 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
D241
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He could be champion he's good enough to be, almost was a couple times. His biggest foe is out of the division, at least for now.

He's 1-1-1 his last 3 fights, but 2 of those were those close fights against Frankie. 

He's virtually undefeated before that.(I count his sanctioned bout with Nate a draw and awknowledge his TUF submission loss to Nate as well).

I think UFC doesn't want to think of putting him in another title shot, and I can agree with it, however when we speak of top guys, he's still up there.  Pettis just announced he's going to sit and wait, so who makes the best fight for Gray?

Loser of Benson/Melendez? That's alot of waiting.He already hasn't fought in 7 months and currently doesn't have anything scheduled.

Eddie Alvarez? Doesn't seem like much of an exciting debut

He already has fought Jim Miller

I wouldn't mind a 5 round fight against Nate Diaz, but I understand if that fight/rematch isn't being called for by the fans.

You guys have any suggestions?

1/27/13 11:22 PM
XcessiveZ
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would've liked to have seen him vs Pettis but I respect pettis decision to sit and wait for his shot.Maybe Maynard vs Diaz? Phone Post
1/27/13 11:26 PM
Tomato Can
90 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wouldn't mind seeing a 5-round rubber match with Diaz.

TJ Grant is another possibility, as would be Eddie Alvarez if his legal situation gets cleared up.
1/27/13 11:55 PM
D241

I like Tomato Can's suggestion of Maynard vs Grant.

Miller and Maynard already fought, Khabib still needs a couple more fights to climb the ladder, Masvidal I would rather see faced against a striker like Alvarez. 

1/28/13 12:47 AM
FearTheClown
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pat Healey

1/28/13 12:52 AM
Sergio88
488 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jim Miller Or TJ Grant

1/28/13 2:23 AM
Libero21
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FearTheClown -

Pat Healey

This Phone Post
1/28/13 2:28 AM
Night Hawk

Nate Diaz FOR SURE!!! Phone Post
1/28/13 2:33 AM
Johan Von Brügermëister

Anderson Emelianenko GOAT - Maynard vs Miller?

Maynard vs Khabib?

Maynard vs Masvidal?
I dont think masvidal is in the UFC yet his name wasn't on the list they came out with a week ago or so Phone Post
1/28/13 2:49 AM
yellow c0ckahlc
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FearTheClown - 

Pat Healey

No disrespect to Healy, but what has he done to earn a fight with a Top 5 UFC LW? He's gotta break Top 10 before facing someone like Maynard.

I said in a thread last night, and I'll say it again: It should be Pettis fighting Benson and Melendez fighting Maynard.

But since we all know that's not happening, they should give Jim Miller the bout.

1/28/13 3:21 AM
burner22
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tj of khabib would be awesome Phone Post
1/28/13 9:36 AM
FearTheClown
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yellow c0ckahlc - 
FearTheClown - 

Pat Healey

No disrespect to Healy, but what has he done to earn a fight with a Top 5 UFC LW? He's gotta break Top 10 before facing someone like Maynard.

I said in a thread last night, and I'll say it again: It should be Pettis fighting Benson and Melendez fighting Maynard.

But since we all know that's not happening, they should give Jim Miller the bout.

If Gilbert wasn't such a diva, it's possible that Pat Healey would be fighting Ben Henderson in the spring, so a fight with Maynard isn't so far-fetched.

1/28/13 10:10 AM
Themanders1

Grey vs Jamie Varner in the match up of guys who aren't even close to Pettis but decided to call him out through twitter right after the fight. Phone Post
1/28/13 11:06 AM
Tomato Can
90 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL at Gray Maynard not being "even close to Pettis". Give me a break. Pettis lost to Clay Guida, surely Gray Maynard would have a pretty good chance of beating him as well.
1/28/13 11:35 AM
D241

yellow c0ckahlc - 
FearTheClown - 

Pat Healey

While I agree with you on Healey, I don't agree with you in thinking Pettis should be fighting Benson before Gilbert.

What are you basing this on?

I'm assuming you're basing it on the fact that Pettis was the last WEC Champ was was basically promised a title shot, but didn't want to wait and fought Guida, the rest is history.

But if my assumption is correct, than I would have to remind you that before Pettis fought Benson, people were ranking Gilbert as the #1 lw and were wanting Gilbert to fight for the lightweight title since Edgar had it.  

Gilbert was also the SF lightweight champion, and in my opinion, the league and that division hold more weight than Pettis in the WEC.

It's understandable to want Pettis facing Benson b/c we just saw a spectacular performance from him, as well as we haven't seen Gilbert fight in a long time, but Gilbert was ahead of Pettis before Pettis fought Benson, Pettis also lost while Gilbert hasn't lost in four years.

1/28/13 11:39 AM
UGCTT_Pariah

Either Khabib, Jim Miller, or reschedule him vs Lauzon, didn't both of those guys really want that fight anyway? Phone Post
1/28/13 11:42 AM
D241

Joe Lauzon is a good name in the basket.

I think nobody said Joe at this point b/c the thought of a wrestler blanketing Joe's exciting style isn't appealing.

But Joe Silva tends to put guys on matching streaks against each other, being that Gray won and Lauzon now lost, I doubt this fight gets made at this time.

1/28/13 2:56 PM
yellow c0ckahlc
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

D241 - 
yellow c0ckahlc - 
FearTheClown - 

Pat Healey

While I agree with you on Healey, I don't agree with you in thinking Pettis should be fighting Benson before Gilbert.

What are you basing this on?

I'm assuming you're basing it on the fact that Pettis was the last WEC Champ was was basically promised a title shot, but didn't want to wait and fought Guida, the rest is history.

But if my assumption is correct, than I would have to remind you that before Pettis fought Benson, people were ranking Gilbert as the #1 lw and were wanting Gilbert to fight for the lightweight title since Edgar had it.  

Gilbert was also the SF lightweight champion, and in my opinion, the league and that division hold more weight than Pettis in the WEC.

It's understandable to want Pettis facing Benson b/c we just saw a spectacular performance from him, as well as we haven't seen Gilbert fight in a long time, but Gilbert was ahead of Pettis before Pettis fought Benson, Pettis also lost while Gilbert hasn't lost in four years.

I don't believe SF outweighs WEC at all. The proof is right there, considering we just saw two WEC guys fighting for #1 Contender status to face the current champion who was ALSO a WEC guy. WEC LW imports were already topping lists while the Strikeforce imports have yet to break top ten. When we see SF guys other than Melendez start dominating the UFC competition, then you can say it outweighs the division Pettis fought in.

A lot of people believed Gil to be #1, but I'm not one of those people. Most of the top lightweights in the world have been in the UFC since '08-'09. Gil's always been second to the UFC champion since. He's got great wins, but the level of competition cannot be compared to the current top 3-5 of the UFC's LW division. His best win is a UD over Aoki. Look at what Eddie Alvarez did to him in one round.

My point is, Gil may be a long time contender to the belt, but Pettis earned his shot at the UFC championship by going through UFC fighters. Regardless of Gil's winning streak, he should have had one fight in the UFC before getting a shot at the belt.

Fair is fair.

1/28/13 3:12 PM
Themanders1

Tomato Can - LOL at Gray Maynard not being "even close to Pettis". Give me a break. Pettis lost to Clay Guida, surely Gray Maynard would have a pretty good chance of beating him as well.
IMHO grey lost to clay too and more recent where as Pettis has come back to rattle of wins over top contenders cerrone who Diaz fought before his title shot and Lauzon. Grey can barely cut angles to close distance and comes straight in. Phone Post
1/28/13 3:14 PM
yellow c0ckahlc

Themanders1 - 
Tomato Can - LOL at Gray Maynard not being "even close to Pettis". Give me a break. Pettis lost to Clay Guida, surely Gray Maynard would have a pretty good chance of beating him as well.
IMHO grey lost to clay too and more recent where as Pettis has come back to rattle of wins over top contenders cerrone who Diaz fought before his title shot and Lauzon. Grey can barely cut angles to close distance and comes straight in. Phone Post

You must have been the judge who scored it for Clay.

1/28/13 3:29 PM
abi
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

maynard vs nate diaz?? Phone Post
1/28/13 3:32 PM
burner22
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Themanders1 -
Guida beat gray? GTFO. Stylistically Maynard presents a lot of problems for Pettis.
But back to the topic, maybe Varner? He is a rising star who needs a shot at the elite of the division Phone Post
1/28/13 6:38 PM
D241

Edited: 01/28/13 6:41 PM

yellow c0ckahlc - 

I don't believe SF outweighs WEC at all. The proof is right there, considering we just saw two WEC guys fighting for #1 Contender status to face the current champion who was ALSO a WEC guy. WEC LW imports were already topping lists while the Strikeforce imports have yet to break top ten. When we see SF guys other than Melendez start dominating the UFC competition, then you can say it outweighs the division Pettis fought in.

Using your own criteria, Gilbert Melendez SHOULD be fighting for the title.

"Considering we just saw two WEC guys fighting for the #1 contender status".
Reminder that the next UFC features former STRIKEFORCE CHAMPION Alistair Overeem fighting Bigfoot, and will get a title shot after he ko's him.
STRIKEFORCE WW Champion Nick Diaz was already scheduled to fight the champion, and has since been rescheduled to face him in March.

Strikeforce MW Champion Luke Rockhold wasn't being talked about as an opponent for Anderson before Chris Weidman was, but even he is now being discusses as a future opponent for Anderson.

Strikeforce womens champion Rhonda Rousey was crowned the champion and will headline for a title fight in her first UFC.

WEC is more relevent than Strikeforce was? I think not, and I think I just made a strong case.

If Gilbert came over to the UFC the same time Nick Diaz did, we wouldn't even be having this discussion. Just because he was locked into a contract and didn't come over until they were bought out, does not mean he should be skipped over. He was in line long before Pettis, and hasn't done anything to be passed over.

2009 http://www.sherdog.com/news/rankings/6/Sherdog-Official-Mixed-Martial-Arts-Rankings-20862
Gilbert has gone 2-0 against top lightweights, Pettis=0
Advantage Gilbert

2010 Lightweight Rankings=http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/3/24/1385562/usat-sbn-march-mma-consensus
Gilbert Melendez=Top 10. Anthony Pettis=not even top 25. Top ten wins for Gilbert against top 10 guys of 2010 till current=4-0. Anthony Pettis=1-0
Advantage Gilbert

2011=http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/4/28/2138487/usat-sbn-april-2011-mma-consensus-rankings-lightweight  Anthony Pettis cracks the top 10 at #9.  Still 5 spots behind Gilbert. keyword=behind
Advantage=Gilbert

2012=http://www.sherdog.com/news/rankings/6/Sherdogs-Official-Mixed-Martial-Arts-Rankings-42147
Anthony Pettis moves up a notch at #7 in the top 10, still 4 spots BEHIND Gilbert Melendez.
Advantage-Gilbert

2013 LW rankings=http://www.mmaweekly.com/lightweight-division-155-pound-limit-mma-top-10
http://www.sherdog.com/news/rankings/6/Sherdogs-Official-Mixed-Martial-Arts-Rankings-49475

You seem to be forgetting that he LOST 2 years ago, while Gilbert hasn't lost in 4 years. 
When Pettis lost to Guida, you didn't have him above Gilbert Melendez, this I know.

Since Pettis beat Benson Henderson, he has gone 3-1, finishing 2 of his 3 wins, while 1 of his wins was split decision against Stephens. You are putting TOO MUCH emphasis on his TWO recent knockout wins of J-Lau and Cerrone. They were impressive knockouts, but do those 2 knock outs really push him above Gilbert?

Since Pettis beat Benson Henderson, Gilbert Melendez has gone 4-0, all 4 wins against top 10 lws.

Sorry, but after doing work on this matter, I am WAAAY more convinced than I was before, that Gilbert Melendez DEFINITELY is ahead of Pettis in terms of rankings and deserving of a title shot.
1/28/13 7:34 PM
yellow c0ckahlc

Don't bring the other weight classes into this. All those other title shots you're talking about don't apply to this. We're talking about lightweight, and as far as I'm concerned, WEC LW>Strikeforce LW. I have the proof to back that up because we see WEC LW's dominating their UFC counterparts. We have yet to see how SF LW's fair. 

Oh, I definitely didn't have Pettis ranked above Gil when he lost. But, guess what? I do now. His last few wins come over opponents who are consistently fighting the best of the division. 

"Since Pettis beat Benson Henderson, Gilbert Melendez has gone 4-0, all 4 wins against top 10 lws."

Masvidal wasn't Top 10 when he fought Melendez. Thomson wasn't even Top 10 when he fought Melendez (in a very close fight) in May 2012. Both of them were listed Top 15-25 when they fought Gil. Just googled it.

Gil can sit at #3, but don't try to sell me the fact that he's above Pettis in ranking just because those sites say so. We all know Pettis deserves that shot before Gil. Rest assured if the Champion vs. Champion aura wasn't there, we'd be seeing Pettis/Henderson II in April.

1/28/13 7:40 PM
yellow c0ckahlc

"Since Pettis beat Benson Henderson, he has gone 3-1, finishing 2 of his 3 wins, while 1 of his wins was split decision against Stephens. You are putting TOO MUCH emphasis on his TWO recent knockout wins of J-Lau and Cerrone. They were impressive knockouts, but do those 2 knock outs really push him above Gilbert?"

I'm not putting any emphasis on anything, I'm simply stating facts. Pettis owns a victory over the current champion, and if anything should have any emphasis on it, it's that right there. True, while one of Pettis' victories is a split over Stephens, Melendez's last 4 fights consist of a spilt over Thomson, a unanimous over Masvidal, a TKO over Kawajiri, and another unanimous over Aoki.

I'm not saying Gil doesn't deserve a shot at the belt. I just have a problem with people saying Gil deserves it before Pettis.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.