UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Didn't Clay get the message after Maynard "fight"?

1/27/13 11:16 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
hubris
202 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana White was literally sick after watching Clay fuck around against Gray Maynard.
1/27/13 11:23 PM
ChaosOverkill
531 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's the same attitude as Roy has. Which is Ironic because Roy only knows how to entertain with his style.

This just win stuff is ridiculous when It's not a champ doing, because at that level I can understand it.

Clay needs to understand that he is not well rounded enough to win a belt and that his career is better served putting on entertaining risky fights he may lose because he is less likely to be cut doing that then wininng like last night.

I think it's a phase he will eventually move away from, at least I hope

1/27/13 11:25 PM
ChaosOverkill
531 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Benson fight is a good example of someone forcing him back into that style.

1/27/13 11:27 PM
lgi
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He can learn more from Leonard Garcia.
1/27/13 11:32 PM
Tomato Can
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thought Guida deserved the nod against Hioki in a very close fight, but him running around the cage like he just KO'd Aldo was comical. I used to like the guy but I find myself rooting against him with regularity now.
1/27/13 11:37 PM
Christ Crapped in My Fish and Chips
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No he doesn't get it, he's super delusional. He completely stood behind his performance against Gray, and even berated Gray backstage after the fight whining and making excuses. Go back to being a carpenter

1/27/13 11:44 PM
BrCutter
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really did enjoy, but he's making it near impossible. The backstage complaining to Maynard was retarded. I couldn't believe that attitude. Phone Post
1/27/13 11:45 PM
BrCutter
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Enjoy him prior to the Maynard fight. Phone Post
1/28/13 12:42 AM
ausgepicht

Edited: 01/28/13 1:00 AM
hubris - Dana White was literally sick after watching Clay fuck around against Gray Maynard.

I used to like Clay, but don't particularly care for his fights lately. Having said that, Clay isn't going to KO anyone. He has Bisping hands. His only chance to finish a fight is by sub, and with Hioki I seriously doubt that was going to happen. So he was kind of screwed over in this one. If any flak should be directed at anyone, it should be who thought these two would make a good fight. Guida needs to be paired with someone he can submit or that will fuck his shit up. Otherwise, we are in for a long night.

1/28/13 12:44 AM
ChaosOverkill

ausgepicht - 
hubris - Dana White was literally sick after watching Clay fuck around against Gray Maynard.

I used to like Clay, but don't particularly care for his fights lately. Having said that, Clay isn't going to KO anyone. He has Bisping hands. His only chance to finish a fight is by sub, and with Hioki I serioulsy doubt that was going to happen. So he was kind of screwed over in this one. If any flak should be directed at anyone, it should be who thought these two would make a good fight. Guida needs to be paired with someone he can submit or that will fuck his shit up. Otherwise, we are in for a long night.

Pretty much this but I guess Shelby is not left with a alot of options at Featherweight I'd like to see Lamas kick the Crap out of him but maybe match him up with Koch who can do the same

1/28/13 12:47 AM
yellow c0ckahlc
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ausgepicht - 

I used to like Clay, but don't particularly care for his fights lately. Having said that, Clay isn't going to KO anyone. He has Bisping hands. His only chance to finish a fight is by sub, and with Hioki I serioulsy doubt that was going to happen. So he was kind of screwed over in this one. If any flak should be directed at anyone, it should be who thought these two would make a good fight. Guida needs to be paired with someone he can submit or that will fuck his shit up. Otherwise, we are in for a long night.

Yep.

He's capable, but his last few opponents aren't known for being finished, which is why we see these types of decisions.

1/28/13 12:49 AM
BeatonHauff
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He was exciting to watch, then he started winning with brutal to watch wrestling arond the Pettis fight, and his k1 striking started around the Gomi fight. I hate to say it, but he's only exciting when he's getting beat up. Phone Post
1/28/13 12:52 AM
SOO72

You might ask didn't Dana get the message.
1/28/13 12:54 AM
SOO72

..or maybe he did and that's why Guida is on the prelims riding out the remainder of his contract.

Sucks because I used to be a big fan back in the day when he was making exciting fights like vs Tyson Griffin.
1/28/13 2:36 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
548 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GSP24 - Clay has nothing to worry about... As long as he keeps winning... Phone Post
Not true. Look at Volkmann. They'll just keep giving him average opponents and banish him to Facebook prelims Phone Post
1/28/13 3:08 AM
carcaju
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SOO72 - ..or maybe he did and that's why Guida is on the prelims riding out the remainder of his contract.

Sucks because I used to be a big fan back in the day when he was making exciting fights like vs Tyson Griffin.

unfortunately true. Its hard work in the top levels. He is scraping points dec wins to stay near the top. Makes for shit viewing which ironically drives his paycheck.
1/28/13 3:18 AM
Loadin76
1003 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He misunderstood us... he thought we said 'He blew.... us away"

1/28/13 5:24 AM
UGCTT_buchu8oolong
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ausgepicht -

I used to like Clay, but don't particularly care for his fights lately. Having said that, Clay isn't going to KO anyone. He has Bisping hands. His only chance to finish a fight is by sub, and with Hioki I seriously doubt that was going to happen. So he was kind of screwed over in this one. If any flak should be directed at anyone, it should be who thought these two would make a good fight. Guida needs to be paired with someone he can submit or that will fuck his shit up. Otherwise, we are in for a long night.

You know, I actually agree with you on this one. I know I butted heads with you on your Penn posts in the past, but I think that's a fair enough point. Phone Post
1/28/13 5:26 AM
BROTHER WISDOM
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When did Clay make the nove to Jacksons?

There was a point in time when he was one of the most exciting fighters in the sport. Win or lose it was a damn good show. Now all he mostly does is bounce around, throw punch, takedown and control. No GnP or sub attempts which is completely inexcusable at that level
1/28/13 6:16 AM
Salokcin69
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GSP24 - Clay has nothing to worry about... As long as he keeps winning... Phone Post
Yeah, except you know, all his fans. Phone Post
1/28/13 11:02 AM
Tomato Can
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/28/13 11:01 AM
I think the problem is simply one of talent and ambition. When he came into the UFC, he was 21-6 and not really seen as a contender. He threw caution to the wind in every fight and while he lost as much as he won, he earned a lot of bonuses and was never in danger of losing his spot on the roster. Then, somewhere along the way, it seems like he got tired of losing and wanted to be a legit contender. The thing is, even though he's obviously a super hard working guy, Guida might simply not have the affinity for striking or submissions to threaten elite LWs or FWs. That's what got us the Clay Guida we see today, a guy who seems to attempt to barely do enough to win, and then runs around the cage celebrating like a lunatic.
1/28/13 11:15 AM
New Leaf 1.0

This is the third times he's had back to back losses. I imagine being cut from the roster gets in his head a lot. Besides, the point is to win and the mental gymnastics some people are doing aside, Guida won on Saturday.

If Hioki wanted to win, all he had to do was standup - but he couldn't. Instead he had a hairy, sweaty, naked man grinding him for most of the fight and couldn't do shit about it.
1/28/13 11:18 AM
Tomato Can

I agree that he (barely) deserved the decision. The thing is, an impressive win over Hioki could have meant a shot at the Aldo/Edgar winner. It is HIGHLY doubtful he will get that shot based on the performance he put in.
1/28/13 11:19 AM
KickYoNuts
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

His fight with Gomi was funny too before the finish, so much bouncing around doing nothing.

1/28/13 11:36 AM
ortman166

Dana needs to cut this guy. He's embarrassing to the sport Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.