UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Didn't Clay get the message after Maynard "fight"?

1/28/13 11:36 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ortman166
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana needs to cut this guy. He's embarrassing to the sport Phone Post
1/28/13 11:36 AM
Zed Wayne Zed
99 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ChaosOverkill - 

It's the same attitude as Roy has. Which is Ironic because Roy only knows how to entertain with his style.

This just win stuff is ridiculous when It's not a champ doing, because at that level I can understand it.

Clay needs to understand that he is not well rounded enough to win a belt and that his career is better served putting on entertaining risky fights he may lose because he is less likely to be cut doing that then wininng like last night.

I think it's a phase he will eventually move away from, at least I hope

Dude, Roy was trolling when saying that.

Roy Nelson knocks people the fuck out,
or gets a beating and keeps coming.

Guida hasn't been the guy we all dug for some time.

I see your point, but Nelson needed not be included in your post. Especially for a guy whose sarcasm is through the ruff.
1/28/13 11:40 AM
JOESONDO
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Guida is of limited talent. The reason he has chosen to fight this way is he was losing many of his exciting fights. He isn't going to KO or submit many fighters so he has limited options.

That being said, the judges have to stop awarding this type of "fighting". If Guida doesn't get the judges nod for the takedown and hold game, he stops doing it and looks for another way to fight. It's that simple.
1/28/13 11:58 AM
JOESONDO
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zed Wayne Zed - 
ChaosOverkill - 

It's the same attitude as Roy has. Which is Ironic because Roy only knows how to entertain with his style.

This just win stuff is ridiculous when It's not a champ doing, because at that level I can understand it.

Clay needs to understand that he is not well rounded enough to win a belt and that his career is better served putting on entertaining risky fights he may lose because he is less likely to be cut doing that then wininng like last night.

I see your point, but Nelson needed not be included in your post. Especially for a guy whose sarcasm is through the ruff.

Roy said that in context of the Ultimate Fighter, not in reference to his current fights in the UFC. He is definitely right when it comes to TUF. The risks outweight the gain for the guys in the TUF house when it comes to fighting exciting on the show. If they lose, even if in exciting fashion, they may never fight in the UFC (some do but many are cut right after the show). The UFC has been very inconsistent when it comes to fighters who put it all out there for an exciting fight but lose. Some are kept on while others are cut. Winning assures they stay, even if done in a boring fashion. Once they win the contract, they can start fighting in an exciting way to build a fan base.

Not saying this is what I want or what is good for the UFC but it is what is good for the fighters and you can always expect them to do what is best for themselves.

The solution is to change the way judges see what is happening in the cage. The UFC could also be a little more consistent with fighters who try to put on a show but lose in the process.
1/28/13 12:18 PM
New Leaf 1.0

Tomato Can - I agree that he (barely) deserved the decision. The thing is, an impressive win over Hioki could have meant a shot at the Aldo/Edgar winner. It is HIGHLY doubtful he will get that shot based on the performance he put in.

Agreed. Not saying he didn't look terrible, but he was coming off of back to back losses and dropping down a weight. A loss could have hurt him more than a good win.

Where does he go if he losses Saturday? He'd have 3 straight losses despite dropping weight classes. I suspect he would have gone right to a 2nd tier promotion.

I also don't think he has the skills to get an impressive win over Hioki, he won the only way he could.
1/28/13 12:23 PM
djones
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It has become hard to watch him. He is the one fighter from the Midwest that I just cant bring myself to cheer for anymore. He got semi gift decision Saturday

1/28/13 12:23 PM
Masakyst
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/28/13 12:25 PM
Say what you will about his last two fights, but Clay has finished his opponent in three of his last five wins. Plus he has five Fight Of The Night awards; he won two of those fights, and two others were fight of the year. Out of 30 total wins, only 10 were by decision.

He's had a rough year but I'm not ready to write him off yet.
1/28/13 12:46 PM
New Leaf 1.0

Masakyst - Say what you will about his last two fights, but Clay has finished his opponent in three of his last five wins. Plus he has five Fight Of The Night awards; he won two of those fights, and two others were fight of the year. Out of 30 total wins, only 10 were by decision.

He's had a rough year but I'm not ready to write him off yet.

He hasn't finished anyone in any of his last 4 fights. Nobody is arguing that he used to be exciting, he just isn't anymore.
1/28/13 1:06 PM
Mdson
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hioki has a huge reach for a 45'er and his BJJ is one of the best in the division, so it was a tough match-up for Guida. He was trying to win with the tools that he had.

In my opinion, against Maynard he had a good idea for a game plan, but he miserably failed to execute it and the blame falls on him.

I think the problem is that every time Clay has put on an exciting fight, he loses the fight (e.g. Diego Sanchez). He wants to be a world champion so he has to find ways to win a fight no matter what and unfortunately that can make for some dull fights.

Winning makes you more money, winning moves you up on the ladder and winning gives you title shots. There are lots of upsides to being a winner, so I don't blame or hate the guy.
1/28/13 1:26 PM
likatiga
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_buchu8oolong - 
ausgepicht -
hubris - Dana White was literally sick after watching Clay fuck around against Gray Maynard.

I used to like Clay, but don't particularly care for his fights lately. Having said that, Clay isn't going to KO anyone. He has Bisping hands. His only chance to finish a fight is by sub, and with Hioki I seriously doubt that was going to happen. So he was kind of screwed over in this one. If any flak should be directed at anyone, it should be who thought these two would make a good fight. Guida needs to be paired with someone he can submit or that will fuck his shit up. Otherwise, we are in for a long night.

You know, I actually agree with you on this one. I know I butted heads with you on your Penn posts in the past, but I think that's a fair enough point. Phone Post

There have been like three ausgepicht posts in two weeks that I've totally agreed with. Even go so far as to say enjoyed.

Something's off, I think somebody has his PW.

ausgepicht, have you gone soft?
1/28/13 1:31 PM
YVES JOCKSTRAP
136 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttt Phone Post
1/28/13 1:35 PM
Big Pun
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I used to look forward to his fights. I can't really say the same now. I was trying to think of a positive way to present that comment but I couldn't. Maybe it's just a bad couple fights and things will turn around.
1/28/13 2:27 PM
Infamous Ed

His fights with pettis, Maynard, and Hioki are some of the worst I've ever seen in my life Phone Post
1/28/13 2:35 PM
MMAfan26

Guida has average striking, a bit above average wrestling. He outworks his opponents. Hard work can get you places, but champions have are skilled enough to trump hard work alone.
1/28/13 2:40 PM
HenryO

Blame the broken scoring system which rewards being tentative and not actually inflicting damage or trying to finish the fight.

As much as I don't like Guida, can't blame him for fighting a safe fight and guaranteeing he will see another paycheck
1/28/13 2:46 PM
Loadin76
849 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Infamous Ed -  His fights with pettis, Maynard, and Hioki are some of the worst I've ever seen in my life Phone Post

Don't forget the Diaz fight

1/28/13 3:13 PM
i remember halloween

vazzo -  I like him because he's Italian. FORZA ITALIA!!! Phone Post

So you are a fan of the most boring MMA fighter in existence because he's Italian?  Why don't you just go down to the local pizzeria and watch a bunch of guineas roll around in tomato sauce if all you care about watching Italians compete?  Seems like you don't care about good fights and your interest would be better served elsewhere.

1/28/13 3:19 PM
ChaosOverkill
475 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zed: That's what I mean by Irony in Roy's statement. Knowing Roy I'm not sure if it is trolling or he is serious and just fights a way that is exciting but not always 100% intentional as I'm sure he wants a belt badly too

1/28/13 3:26 PM
Salokcin69
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zed Wayne Zed -
ChaosOverkill - 

Ziss Phone Post
1/28/13 3:32 PM
ChaosOverkill
475 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

well if Clay had striking like Roy none of this would be an issue. I think you can have the just win mentality but it doesn't affect your fights unless you're forced into being safe and Roy's striking (and subsequent gassing in losses) makes it certain he never has to be or can be safe and at heavyweight the grappling mismatches are far more often.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.