UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Barrel chested grappler advice

1/28/13 9:25 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
escudo
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was grappling with a friend of mine the other day who is about 5'7" 220lbs and his chest is quite litterally circular. Circular to the point where even as a very tall grappler (6'4" of mostly legs) I couldn't even mount him because one of my knees was always off the ground and his legs are too short and powerful to grapevine.

Any advice for dealing with this stocky little bastard?
1/29/13 4:23 AM
escudo
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sweatygooch -  5,7" 220lbs?

You're grappling with Jeff Monson? Phone Post

Kind of a mix between Monson and Bain from the new Batman movie.
1/29/13 8:10 AM
WrestlingSucks
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Twister side control series, friend. ive always found that to be effective against brutes. also, work on a front headlock series for when the brute bucks you from side control.

Some techniques to explore:

Front quarter nelson series

anacondas, darce, peruvian neckties

front headlock throw by

and a really effective way to break big men down and create space for hooks and back control is the spiral ride.

Let me know if you need links for descriptions
1/29/13 8:28 AM
Rabid Bunyip
225 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1/29/13 9:33 AM
10er4life
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DanTheWolfman - Catch Wrestling Heavyness and subs from sidemount my friend

Blatant plug www.TheCombatSystem.com
Lol, when are your plug not blatant?

That being said, I enjoy your stuff Dan. Phone Post
1/30/13 6:35 AM
escudo

WrestlingSucks - Twister side control series, friend. ive always found that to be effective against brutes. also, work on a front headlock series for when the brute bucks you from side control.

Some techniques to explore:

Front quarter nelson series

anacondas, darce, peruvian neckties

front headlock throw by

and a really effective way to break big men down and create space for hooks and back control is the spiral ride.

Let me know if you need links for descriptions

I looked into quite a few of these moves and while interesting and useful (I'll give them a shot) I feel like I should point out that I'm about 170 soaking wet and he isn't stupid. When I get side control he is content to just let me stay there working for subs that just powers out of, and he never really turns into me knowing that the only place his power is useless is if I take his back. Even if I try to stay light on him and try to bait him into it he won't take an under hook or grab a single leg. I'll get bored and take mount and he can litterally just stiff arm me off and we're back in guard playing traingle games.

Anybody know any back takes from side mount?
1/30/13 6:54 AM
hybridfc
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just work the basics. It will help you in the long run. If you can hold down thisdude then you'll have no problem with smaller guys. Dont look for tricks or shortcuts. Use this guy as a great learning aid. Phone Post
1/30/13 7:05 AM
yellow c0ckahlc
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Use his own momentum against him to get him to the ground. You're the taller grappler, you have leverage to make it happen.

When you're on the ground, don't go for mounts against guys like this, they're gonna push you right off if they're fresh. You say you have trouble in side mount and wanna take his back? My favorite thing to do is bait the kimura HARD from side control already stepped over, let them start turning into you, release immediately, and begin taking their back. Gotta be quick about it, and because he's stocky, you gotta make sure you can slip in a hook quickly or he's just gonna toss ya and scramble.

^That looks retarded how I explained it, but in my mind it's right because I do it lol

I'm 5'11, 190lbs, because I'm another one of those stocky dudes, it's easy for me to pull this off. You're lanky, you're gonna need to keep it tight to overpower this dude.

2/13/13 2:49 PM
escudo

ttt
2/13/13 3:14 PM
WrestlingSucks
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Look up the neto roll from half guard, i guess. it sounds like your training partner is a jerk. he just powers out of subs and lays there? use your forearm in his neck from side control. make it so he freaks out about your side control game
2/15/13 3:17 PM
escudo

That's why I said friend not training partner as it is less training more screwing around, that said he is trained also and well, I like a challenge.

Believe me, as lanky as I am about 40% of my game is just being pointy and uncomfortable to roll with. I use forearms and hip bones as often as possible, he's just comfortable being miserable.

BTW that Neto roll looks awesome and I will start drilling this immediatly.
2/15/13 3:43 PM
Seats Taken
174 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He probably has a crazy good base and short hard to armbar strong arms and thick shoulders... BeeP.

I'm a stalky build and my friend is about your size. Stay active, keep him off balance and learn some good back takes. Phone Post
2/15/13 4:42 PM
robbie380
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

escudo - That's why I said friend not training partner as it is less training more screwing around, that said he is trained also and well, I like a challenge.

Believe me, as lanky as I am about 40% of my game is just being pointy and uncomfortable to roll with. I use forearms and hip bones as often as possible, he's just comfortable being miserable.

Lol you sound horrible to roll with ;-) But if you are gonna do that I would work on a punishing side or 3/4 mount with extremely tight neck control almost to the point where you are putting a blood choke on him.
4/10/13 12:43 AM
escudo

I have figured it out.

I started by giving up guard and I start with the usual working for kimura, armbar, triangle, the usual high percentage stuff but eventually I got bored and started trying stranger things I don't usually hit and I notice I've never in my life hit and omoplata so easily.

Then the real trick. As I rolled over into I shifted my weight onto my right foot to take his back, I dislocated my toe. This took him completely out of his game and watching me pop it back into place, tape it up and continue rolling completely broke his morale.

So when facing a barrel-chested grappler my advice is to fuck yourself up horribly than fix yourself like you've done a thousand times before, even it is your first time (it was). Being a crazy person is the best method for defeating the barrel chested.

FACT
4/10/13 1:10 AM
reagan123
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

S Phone Post
4/10/13 5:26 AM
radiobaby
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

escudo - That's why I said friend not training partner as it is less training more screwing around, that said he is trained also and well, I like a challenge.

There's something hilarious about this, I'm not sure what but it made me loudly lol. Phone Post
4/10/13 6:02 AM
escudo

radiobaby - 
escudo - That's why I said friend not training partner as it is less training more screwing around, that said he is trained also and well, I like a challenge.

There's something hilarious about this, I'm not sure what but it made me loudly lol. Phone Post

I suspect you rolled with a lanky bastard before...
4/10/13 8:29 AM
dannybjj
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hybridfc - Just work the basics. It will help you in the long run. If you can hold down thisdude then you'll have no problem with smaller guys. Dont look for tricks or shortcuts. Use this guy as a great learning aid. Phone Post
This. Cross the ankles behind the butt and drop your hips. Staying in side control and avoiding the mount is like putting a band-aid on cancer. Your mount needs some work. Phone Post
4/10/13 9:17 AM
cheesesteak
242 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

4/12/13 3:05 AM
escudo

cheesesteak - 

The arms look about right, just mix in a little American history X Ed norton and there you have it.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.