UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Josh Barnett: BJJ NOT a fight, boxing 1/3

1/28/13 3:30 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Josh Barnett recently attended a BJJ tournament, and offered his thoughts, via Twitter.

Josh Barnett ‏@JoshLBarnett
Just overheard, "How many fights did you have today?". The answer is none. You've had zero fights today. Doing BJJ is NOT a fight.

@TheErikHammer
well I just heard "sweet I get a medal because my guy did not show up."

Such a proud victory.

I just watched two grown men jump in the air at each other and start scissoring. They scissored each other in mid air. And I paid to get in.

Boxing is a fight. 1/3 of a fight maybe but still a fight. To me for something to be called a fight it must involve striking your opponent.

Follow Josh Barnett on Twitter...

Do you think a BJJ match is a fight? How about a professional boxing bout?

Why?

1/28/13 3:36 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BshMstr
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i guess i agree with Barnett....

when i think of a fight, i instintively think of a visceral attack, trying to knock someone out, breaking them with violence of action...

while one can get limbs broken or choked unconcious in BJJ, i think i view it as a much more intellectual style of fighting, using position to set up submissions, and defeating strength/size with leverage.
1/28/13 3:39 PM
ortman166
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well in a fight a pure bjj guy takes a pure boxer pretty much everytime. Sooo Phone Post
1/28/13 3:41 PM
nyhcloyalty
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I train and compete BJJ and cringe when someone calls it a fight. "Match" or "competition" works just fine. Phone Post
1/28/13 3:43 PM
Brian Littlefield

Edited: 01/28/13 3:43 PM

Josh I am disapoint. If the sports rules include attempting to break your opponents arm or put them to sleep, its a fight. Thats is the ultimate goal, whether they tap or not is up to them. Thats just my opinion. 

1/28/13 3:44 PM
Topsyjt
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Funny posts. Always hear ppl saying "fights" at these events. I rmbr boxing during a novice championship. I had trained extremely hard and was excited to test myself. Made featherweight, no opponent. So I stepped up to lightweight and to light welter weight in order to find an opponent. No way was I taken a "walk-over" to win a bout. Phone Post
1/28/13 3:46 PM
TX_432
128 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow. Phone Post
1/28/13 3:47 PM
southpaw86
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've had a lot of friends ask if I'm still training or if I've taken a fight. I did a NAGA in October, and my answer is and always will be NO. I say I'm still getting settled from my move, but I did do a grappling tournament.

Also I think Barnett's point is that it isn't as MUCH of a fight, which is why it's so technical....only so many weapons. Worrying about knees, elbows, take downs, clinches, kicks, etc is a whole different ball game. Not to mention the time you have to take to learn both the offensive and defensive sides of it. Phone Post
1/28/13 3:47 PM
Topsyjt

You can argue valid points for both sports. If your in a bad spot you need to "fight" to get out, survive and get the win regardless of BJJ or boxing. Usually you find it's at novice level it's considered more of a fight. Higher the level you attain you understand it's more a contest of skills and wills. Greatest respect to all competitors. Phone Post
1/28/13 3:53 PM
ArthurKnoqOut
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

misnomer IMHO.

I think it's the English language as well. In russian the world "grapple" is a very known word so that if you're "wrestling" or "judo-ing" or "Sambo-ing" you just say "grapple", or "barba" (soft r). 

My dad who did judo and greco, doesn't really know what BJJ is but when I say "I'm off to grappling training/competition" he get's it. I think for the majority of Americans/Anglophobes who don't know MMA much less BJJ/grappling, it's easier to state "fight". 

a weird, high-piphany.

1/28/13 3:55 PM
KingOfFighters

ortman166 -  Well in a fight a pure bjj guy takes a pure boxer pretty much everytime. Sooo Phone Post

Lol I'd put money that 10 boxers would mop the floor vs 10 bjj guys.
1/28/13 3:58 PM
Brian Littlefield

KingOfFighters - 
ortman166 -  Well in a fight a pure bjj guy takes a pure boxer pretty much everytime. Sooo Phone Post

Yes, boxers make very good mops. 

1/28/13 3:59 PM
PK618
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/28/13 4:01 PM
Very important detail: under what ruleset? A boxing match? A grappling match? MMA? Teh Deadlyz Streetz?

Cuz, frankly, the history of pure boxers in MMA is pretty unimpressive. They usually get taken down and subbed. Heck, Judo Gene Lebell did it back in, what, the 1960s?
1/28/13 4:02 PM
I_Pulled_Guard_On_Kimbo

KingOfFighters -

I guess you missed the birth of MMA, didn't you. Ever heard of Art Jimmerson? Phone Post
1/28/13 4:05 PM
TeamRenzo

To be honest it always made me cringe to hear people refer to a BJJ match as a fight but if someone is trying to break your arm it is more than a match.
1/28/13 4:07 PM
dermotfix
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I disagree with Josh.

It's not a fight unless you can headbutt your opponent.

Boxing is a sport. Deal with it.

1/28/13 4:09 PM
dermotfix
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For boxing AND bjj, I'll accept skirmish, duel, fuss, to-do and tussle.

1/28/13 4:11 PM
Hansumboy

I agree with Barnett.
1/28/13 4:11 PM
dermotfix

Then again, I can't justify laying on top of or underneath another sweaty man unless it's a fight.

So, bjj is definitely a fight.

1/28/13 4:13 PM
Outlaw'd by Lytle

BJJ is great for kids and women. War Master knows what's up. Phone Post
1/28/13 4:20 PM
triso
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Done to DEATH.
1/28/13 4:20 PM
elitecmbt
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Boxing, bjj, judo, etc.. can all be used in a fight. Seperately they are a sport. Hell even MMA isn't a true fight. Fights don't have referees. Phone Post
1/28/13 4:24 PM
dermotfix

Kind of sounds like UFC 1 denial to me.

Royce used 95% bjj 5% crappy karate to win all fights.

If UFC1 had 2 Royces fighting eachother, what would you have called that?

As long as noone calls wrestling a fight I'm ok with it tho...

1/28/13 4:47 PM
JRockwell
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you look at the BJJ forum, you'll find a lot of BJJ guys complaining a lot about the double guard pulling scissoring stuff as well.

That said, if BJJ is not a fight, neither is catchwrestling, right? Where you can win by pin? Phone Post
1/28/13 4:48 PM
JRockwell
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Pull guard on that. Bro"

Lol that's awesome. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.