UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Best reason to not give title shots only for wins

1/28/13 3:40 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
i remember halloween
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do you really want to see everyone with this strategy?

1/28/13 3:44 PM
ChaosOverkill
518 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's not well rounded enough to win against any champ.

Benson already beat his ass, Aldo and Frankie would beat the shit out of him. He's stuck in the lower top 10

The last guy to win a belt with one main skill is Brock I think

1/28/13 3:45 PM
tdunning
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Combat this by giving him the Fitch treatment. Make him win 8-10 fights before getting a title shot. Throw him in there with guys who he can't do this to. And keep him on the prelims

1/28/13 3:46 PM
ChaosOverkill
518 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tdunning - Combat this by giving him the Fitch treatment. Make him win 8-10 fights before getting a title shot. Throw him in there with guys who he can't do this to. And keep him on the prelims

lol he's borderline facebook prelim status now. Beyond that he'll be facebook fuel prelim and stuck there.

1/28/13 3:48 PM
i remember halloween

The point is that if you take away the "it" factor in title shots, then people will ONLY be trying to win and a lot of them at any cost which means we'll see tons of Guida style people.

1/28/13 3:48 PM
TheOne
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's unfortunate, I like the guy as a person but I think he's plateaued as a fighter and he's not at the level of the elite guys. I think he's a great gatekeeper though and I say that with all due respect, some guys just can't get to the champion level and that's no ones fault or something to be ashamed of.
1/28/13 3:49 PM
Letibleu
1662 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why do you think the UFC put Lay Guida on the prelims? 

Answer: In case he repeated his last stink, which he did. Don't worry, UFC brass is on the same page as you.

1/28/13 3:51 PM
ChaosOverkill

i remember halloween - 

The point is that if you take away the "it" factor in title shots, then people will ONLY be trying to win and a lot of them at any cost which means we'll see tons of Guida style people.

I think the way one dimensional fighters get embarassed by champs keeps this mostly at bay. The one that are delusional enough that one dimensional safe "fighting" will get them a win in a title fight tend to shit the bed in contender fights and thankfully there hasn't been any "win only" title shots lately.

1/28/13 3:52 PM
Letibleu
1662 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bellator has Ben Askren. I didn't see his last fight but up to his last fight he was only about position and control with no finishing attempts. I stopped tuning in and only watched the boring highlights after the fact.
1/28/13 3:56 PM
ChaosOverkill

Letibleu - Bellator has Ben Askren. I didn't see his last fight but up to his last fight he was only about position and control with no finishing attempts. I stopped tuning in and only watched the boring highlights after the fact.

his last fight was a change towards a better fighter. He beat the shit out of Amoussou and finished him with good GNP, he's starting to get it.

1/28/13 3:59 PM
i remember halloween

I'm really happy to hear that about Askren because I too stopped watching his fights because I am not interested in fighters who only control and never try to do any substantial damage or finish a fight.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.