UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Kettlebell goal

1/29/13 6:23 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Superman84
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hi,

My bodyweight is 90kg. I achieved my powerlifting goals around 2 months ago of achieving: 1 X bodyweight benchpress, 1.5 X bodyweight squat and 2 X bodyweight deadlift.

A month later I have already lost a great deal of that strength, especially on the deadlift. It seems hard to maintain.

Last month I set myself the new performance goal of 80 consecutive snatches with a 24kg kettlebell. This is without putting the kettlebell down and only changing hands once.

It seems so hard to achieve. I seem to max out at 75 snatches. At 75 reps my form is very poor.

Looking at videos on youtube I am amazed at how some light women are able to snatch a 24kg kettlebell well over 100 times. They weigh probably 60kg in the videos. They have an amazingly efficient technique.

Strength really is a skill. I need to work more on technique.

Anyone else struggle with high rep work like this?
1/29/13 9:17 AM
Wiggy
142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Strength really is a skill.

I really can't stand that phrase.  

The problem with viewing strength as a 'skill' is that too many times, one ends up focusing a fuck-ton of effort on technique in order to improve performance on a given exercise or test.  This will improve said performance, but doesn't always result in an increase in strength as GPP.  In other words, the improvement in performance doesn't (much) carry over to other activities.

This is something you see a lot in the KB crowd - esp with the 'skinny strong' guys.  (Not saying this is you, OP - just saying in general.)  Hell, I've guys who weigh 160lbs who can strict press a 32kg KB, yet can barely bench 200lbs or do 5-8 pullups.

Worse than that, these same guys who can put massive KBs overhead will go to do presses with DBs or a barbell and there is damn near no carryover whatsoever, as they're pressing ability with anything besides a KB still sucks.  Now, if you just want to get good at pressing a KB, then that's fine.  But if you're using KBs as a GPP-building tool (strength, endurance, or whatever), then what's the point?

Lifting a big KB only means something if lifting it in the first place is indicative of your strength abilities.  If all it's indicative of is your KB lifting abilities, then who gives a shit?

/end mini-rant

As far as wanting to do 80 consecutive snatches, well, again I have to balk at the whole 'strength is a skill' line the KB crowd puts out there.  Doing 80 of anything consecutively isn't strength and never will be.

You are, however, correct when you say you need to improve your technique.  I don't know what 'school' of KB training you come from, but that's the big difference between 'hard-style' KBing espoused by DragonDoor and Pavel vs the Girevoy Sport style espoused by Cotter/IKFF via Fedorenko.  If you watch GS competitors, the whole goal is move the KB with as absolute little effort as possible.  Their bodies move a lot less and that's the reason for the massive difference in technique between the two - GSers want to do everything to minimize and manage fatigue.  

Having such efficient technique is awesome and makes for impressive KB feats.  But again - how much carryover does it have to anything besides KBing?

But I guess it would depend on your goals and why you want to do 80 snatches consecutively in the first place.

Wiggy - http://www.workingclassfitness.com

1/29/13 12:18 PM
Superman84
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good reply Wiggy. Thanks

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.