UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Avoiding Injury?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

1/29/13 6:46 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Superman84
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have been training in Judo and Sambo for almost 15 years.
I have competed at a reasonable level.

I stopped any real sparring last year. My body has been close to destroyed by competition. I really miss randori but I just can't keep gettting the same injuries again and again. After knee surgery and several back injuries I am close to quitting.

Has anyone had similar problems but found a way to stay involved in the sport? I had considered abopting a more laid back style involving more sacrifice throws and newaza. The other way to stay involved is to focus more on teaching.

I rarely meet a 3rd or above who doesn't have major injuries.

Any advice?
1/29/13 2:35 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
153 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/29/13 2:35 PM

Old man sparring - playfull, light-hearted, lots of ashiwaza, "trickery" and HUMILITY, going with the flow and taking a breakfall when caught with something.

I personally love to randori with the old timers like this. They have the best ashiwaza. smooth, flowing, sneaky!

1/29/13 7:41 PM
judoblackbelt
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It is called "rec" judo. Throws on the crash pads, light randori with the older guys to what throws are "acceptable", newaza can be more all out since there is lees chance of injury. Avoid newaza against the bigger guys. Committment to stretching,flexibility and cross training to strengthen your overall body. These are still req. for "rec" judo. The idea of back to competition is always on my mind. I train like I did for competition knowing I won't. I can still showcase my skills in class or at seminars. There is no valor in wrecking your body for a purpose.
1/30/13 5:29 AM
Superman84
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fantastic feedback guys. Really appreciated.

Some people view it as an excuse if you're still younger than 35 years old. But I will have to deal with it.
1/30/13 6:33 PM
Tilla
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bull_in_chinashop - 

Old man sparring - playfull, light-hearted, lots of ashiwaza, "trickery" and HUMILITY, going with the flow and taking a breakfall when caught with something.

I personally love to randori with the old timers like this. They have the best ashiwaza. smooth, flowing, sneaky!

Oh man! This is so true.

Not only do you learn with them, they are also trying to protect you and not take your head off.
2/8/13 7:54 PM
Bentleysuper8
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I primarily beat up small women and children.

That and I drop in on the occasional BJJ class when I have the money. Much lower impact.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.