UnderGround Forums

GeekGround >> GG Game of Thrones

1/30/13 12:17 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
LittleKang
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Daredevil73 -
NCar - I love the show, haven't read the books but love spoiling stuff for myself online. I got a question regarding who or what the Azor Ahai is? I've read a bunch of theories anyone have any ideas?

John Snow IMO
All signs point to this Phone Post
1/30/13 12:18 PM
orcus
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

First three books are phenomenal and then the next two were borderline unreadable. He's lost it completely. It's completely absurd to be introducing major new plotlines and characters 4-5 books into a series that is already out of control. Nothing happened and every new character/plot sucked in those two books.

1/30/13 12:21 PM
Daredevil73
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

orcus - 

First three books are phenomenal and then the next two were borderline unreadable. He's lost it completely. It's completely absurd to be introducing major new plotlines and characters 4-5 books into a series that is already out of control. Nothing happened and every new character/plot sucked in those two books.

Martin said in an interview that he doesn't plan out his stories. He just writes and sees where the characters take him. He admitted that he often paints himself into a corner.
1/30/13 12:22 PM
The_Pundits_Fluffer_III
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

orcus - 

I think a lot of it had to do with just coming up with lame shit for Danaerys to keep doing.

A lot of the characters already had their seeds planted, and one in particular major character was introduced as a red herring but I'm not going to spoil it for anyone.

1/30/13 1:15 PM
Daredevil73
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MarkRobinson - 

Back to the show, 

how close does the show follow the books? It seems that there are several books, how far along in the story is the show? 

im really looking forward to more supernatural stuff to happen. 

Two differences, which might seem a bit trivial to some but I consider to be fairly major.

1. The way that Arya left Harrenhall was different than in the book. She did trick Jaqen H'Ghar into helping her, but it was to help her free some captured Stark bannermen from the castle dungeon. Jaqen led a group of men in an insurrection that freed the Northmen, and Roose Bolton took over the castle. Arya later decided that he wasn't much better than the Lannisters, and cut a guard's jugular to leave the castle. The show hasn't really shown Arya as being as homicidal as she really is.

2. When Theon Greyjoy lost Winterfell, it wasn't because his men turned on him, it was because Roose Bolton's son came in posing as a friend and killed him.
1/30/13 5:19 PM
The_Pundits_Fluffer_III
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ramsay didn't kill Theon. Ramsay killed the dude Theon killed on the show.

The guy Theon killed in the book was like a chef or something, Ramsay aka Reek asked Theon to go try to gather Bolton bannermen to help out, and came back, pretended to be helping the seige on Theon controlled Winterfell, killed Ser Cassel or whatever his name was and ambushed the rest of the Stark bannermen.

Then he went to Winterfell like, "Hey Theon let us in, we killed all your enemies!" And Theon was like, "Word, I'm such a pimp, everyone wants to fight for me now." But then Ramsay killed all his whack row-boat soldiers and took Theon as his slave.

What happens after that isn't important, but that's how Winterfell falls in the books.

And yeah, Arya's story is way cooler. Looks like Vargo Hoat isn't even going to be in the show? Seems kinda weird not to have them there, and to avoid the character development of Roose Bolton who basically becomes the main villain besides Euron.

1/30/13 6:16 PM
BigWilliam
276 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thought they killed Theon in the book as well.
1/30/13 6:17 PM
BigWilliam
276 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hmm, looked it up. Must have remembered it wrong, he was taken prisoner.
1/30/13 6:52 PM
Silhouette
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think there are a lot of changes to the show from the books...i wont spoil anything but there are some pretty glaring differences besides changing characters names, timetables and dropping pivotal characters from the series
1/30/13 9:46 PM
NCar
134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LittleKang - 
Daredevil73 -
NCar - I love the show, haven't read the books but love spoiling stuff for myself online. I got a question regarding who or what the Azor Ahai is? I've read a bunch of theories anyone have any ideas?

John Snow IMO

What about daenerys targaryen?
1/30/13 11:02 PM
LittleKang
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NCar -
LittleKang - 
Daredevil73 -

John Snow IMO

I say Snow because thats all mellisandre see's in her vision is him. And Azor Ashia is her savour Phone Post
1/31/13 12:04 AM
orcus

MarkRobinson - 

I just went on a watch-a-thon over the last 2 days and watched seasons 1 &2 of the show.

Its pretty good but I didnt think it was very special. im a fan and will continue following the show but i became a bit concerned that the director is the guy working on the new thor. Its got a great feel and he has some choice shots but i dont think he the grand scope for a Thor film. Especially following up on how grandiose the first Thor was. im still optimistic but yeah. 

He only directed 6 of the episodes, and also you have to keep in mind the budget constraints of the show.

1/31/13 5:13 AM
MarkRobinson
1277 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dizz - 
MarkRobinson -

I just went on a watch-a-thon over the last 2 days and watched seasons 1 &2 of the show.

Its pretty good but I didnt think it was very special. im a fan and will continue following the show but i became a bit concerned that the director is the guy working on the new thor. Its got a great feel and he has some choice shots but i dont think he the grand scope for a Thor film. Especially following up on how grandiose the first Thor was. im still optimistic but yeah. 

Which director? They have different directors for different episodes I think Phone Post

Alan Taylor. 

Hes worked on the most episodes iirc. The majority of his work has been in television series'. Actually, i think all of his work has been on TV series. I know hes done Mad Men, Boardwalk Empire and Bored to Death. 

I dont think theres much particularly bad about his style but i think its a bit of a strange fit for Thor considering the last movies scale. I just hope Thor 2 isnt an IM2 level stinker. 

1/31/13 8:01 AM
The_Pundits_Fluffer_III

LittleKang - 
NCar -
LittleKang - 
Daredevil73 -

John Snow IMO

I say Snow because thats all mellisandre see's in her vision is him. And Azor Ashia is her savour Phone Post

It's definitely Euron.

1/31/13 3:40 PM
Hodor

Hodor
1/31/13 3:50 PM
Daredevil73

I guess I remembered the Reek thing, but for some reason I'd thought they'd killed Theon as well. Guess I remembered it wrong.

The little bog dwelling kids that accompanied Bran aren't on there either.

Arya is my favorite character in the books. It's like she has Child Soldier syndrome. Between Harrenall and what she does after she escaped from there, she thinks nothing of killing people. Not to give away a fairly small one spoiler, but she kills one guy just because she didn't like the fact that he was there. He was no threat to her at all.

Slight spoiler for next season....

They'd better show Arya and the Hound wrecking shit up through the countryside like they did in the book. If they wimp out in that tavern brawl and not show Arya completely lose her shit, I'm going to be pissed. I don't know how they'd pull it off exactly, since she did it to The Tickler, and if I remember right he was one of Jaqen's victims last season, instead of the rapist guy.
2/6/13 12:05 PM
BigWilliam

Just read through the Red Wedding and NOW I WANT TO FUCKING KILL SOMEONE!
2/6/13 12:12 PM
paw
1417 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BigWilliam - Just read through the Red Wedding and NOW I WANT TO FUCKING KILL SOMEONE!

I know exactly how you feel.  The Red Wedding was brutal.

2/6/13 12:17 PM
dizz
542 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BigWilliam - Just read through the Red Wedding and NOW I WANT TO FUCKING KILL SOMEONE!

Imagine how TV viewers who don't know it's coming are going to react!

I'm thinking it will be Ep. 9 of this season (they tend to have their climax at the penultimate episode - Ned's head in season 1, battle of the Blackwater in season 2)
2/6/13 12:36 PM
LittleKang

dizz -

I'm thinking it will be Ep. 9 of this season (they tend to have their climax at the penultimate episode - Ned's head in season 1, battle of the Blackwater in season 2)
Fuck I dont want to spoil anything but to me episode 9 should deal with "two" weddings and episode 10 the fallout from both Phone Post
2/6/13 12:42 PM
dizz
542 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LittleKang - 
dizz -

Fuck I dont want to spoil anything but to me episode 9 should deal with "two" weddings and episode 10 the fallout from both Phone Post

I hear you. I'm not sure that would fit chronologically with the books, but that would be tight as hell to see on screen.
2/6/13 1:06 PM
LittleKang

dizz -
LittleKang - 
dizz -

I hear you. I'm not sure that would fit chronologically with the books, but that would be tight as hell to see on screen.
I think it would. Remember book three is being split into two seasons. If you think of what happens after the other that it would make for a fitting part of the follow season then jamming all of it into one Phone Post
2/6/13 1:17 PM
Daredevil73

I didn't realize book 3 was going to be two seasons. The Red Wedding won't happen until season 4, then.
2/6/13 2:54 PM
BigWilliam

That is my guess as well. I think this season will end before the Red Viper appears. With them introducing Lord Beric and the Tyrells I am guessing they will hold off on bringing the Martells into the picture to avoid over whelming the viewer with new characters.
2/6/13 2:57 PM
LittleKang

BigWilliam - That is my guess as well. I think this season will end before the Red Viper appears. With them introducing Lord Beric and the Tyrells I am guessing they will hold off on bringing the Martells into the picture to avoid over whelming the viewer with new characters.
Exactly. And from production notes the red wedding was filmed for this season by the looks

And ***SPOILER ALERT*****

I think Red Viper vs Mountain will happen on season four and last episode will be Tyrion shooting Tywin Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.