UnderGround Forums

GeekGround >> GG Game of Thrones

3/27/13 11:57 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Daredevil73
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So, theories about some stories abound, people tend to focuson Jon's parentage, but what about The Knight of the Laughing Tree. Who was he?

Let's hear them...
3/27/13 12:03 PM
BigWilliam
266 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I will say either Eddard or Lyanna did it. Lyanna was noted for her exceptional horse skills. But Eddard would have had more training and it also explains the beginnings of his strong friendship with Howland Reed.
3/27/13 12:14 PM
LittleKang
96 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Daredevil73 - So, theories about some stories abound, people tend to focuson Jon's parentage, but what about The Knight of the Laughing Tree. Who was he?

Let's hear them...
Which story is that Phone Post
3/27/13 1:50 PM
BigWilliam
266 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Knight_of_the_Laughing_Tree
3/27/13 2:03 PM
LittleKang
96 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BigWilliam - I will say either Eddard or Lyanna did it. Lyanna was noted for her exceptional horse skills. But Eddard would have had more training and it also explains the beginnings of his strong friendship with Howland Reed.
Id say neither. Eddard is an honourable man who would never change his sigil for Reed. I cant see Lyanna having a booming voice
Maybe benjen since he is the youngest and would have been the smallest Phone Post
3/27/13 2:09 PM
BigWilliam

There is no dishonour in riding as a mystery knight, Barristan Selmy himself did the very same thing once. the booming voice I thought maybe she was trying to talk with an extra low voice and it echoed inside the armor.

Benjen would be possible, though I thought he was awfully young at the time of the story. He was called 'The Pup' and that made me think he was younger even than Bran.
3/27/13 2:34 PM
LittleKang

BigWilliam - There is no dishonour in riding as a mystery knight, Barristan Selmy himself did the very same thing once. the booming voice I thought maybe she was trying to talk with an extra low voice and it echoed inside the armor.

Benjen would be possible, though I thought he was awfully young at the time of the story. He was called 'The Pup' and that made me think he was younger even than Bran.
Didnt the Knight give the winning rose crown to Lyanna and not the Martell queen?
Unless im confusing stories based on that and the smaller stature i thought it was a young Robert Baratheon Phone Post
3/27/13 2:35 PM
LittleKang

And right when i posted that i tried to recall Rheagars stature..... he loved Lyanna and is a pretty honourable guy Phone Post
3/27/13 2:54 PM
BigWilliam

Same tourney, Rhaegar won that tournament but as himself he did not compete as a mystery knight. The knight of the laughing tree did not continue in the tournament after beating the three knights in the story.

So yes, at that tournament Rhaegar did give Lyanna the crown and set up the downfall of his entire family.
3/27/13 2:55 PM
BigWilliam

Details of the tournament in question.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Tourney_at_Harrenhal
3/27/13 3:34 PM
Daredevil73
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I kind of lean towards it being Reed himself, but I think a case could be made for Eddard. Lyanna on the outside.

Reed is extremely loyal to Eddard. That could be the reason why.

On the other hand, Reed was too afraid he'd embarrass himself to confront them directly, so he did this instead maybe?

That's one of my favorite side stories from the books.
3/27/13 3:34 PM
Daredevil73

Cool Sigil creator

http://www.jointherealm.com/sigil.html
3/27/13 3:37 PM
BaldTony
227 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thought it was definitely Lyanna. Only other choice would be Howland Reed, and I think it's him we are supposed to think of when Jojen tells the story(asa a red herring). But Lyanna fits from both an evidence and a meta-story point of view.
3/27/13 3:45 PM
Daredevil73

The strongest case for being a Stark, and Eddard in particular, is that the Reed kids seem shocked and mystified as to why Bran hadn't heard the story before.

But being that Eddard is not one to brag, it fits with his character that Bran hadn't heard it.
3/27/13 4:08 PM
BigWilliam

The problem I have with Reed doing it is that it is implied the crannogmen are not horsemen. No training or real experience in the techniques of jousting would make it a huge stretch for him to be able to un-horse three trained knights in one day.
3/27/13 5:27 PM
BaldTony
227 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ned couldn't be described as small though.

All the bits fit for Lyanna(even the voice is doable in a metal helm). Some of them fit for Reed. Some fit for others, but not all and some are difficult to reconcile with the male Starks.

As mentioned, the Crannogmen aren't horsemen.

Lyanna makes the most sense. She fought the squires, was great on horseback, rode rings at Winterfell, small, would have to borrow armour, has reason to be a mystery knight, and it also gives a reason for Rhegar's behaviour later on, as he was sent out to find the mystery knight. If would fir that he tracked the knight down, found out it was Lyanna, and that precipitated his actions later in the tourney.

IMO
3/27/13 5:37 PM
LittleKang

I think GRRM will pull a LOST and leave it as a mystery. Kinda like the Summerhall tragedy Phone Post
3/27/13 5:40 PM
BigWilliam

Well he cannot answer everything even in books as long as these. Some things, like this, are there for background. And honestly who still even knows the identity? Brandon, Lyanna, Ned and Benjen are all dead (ok presumed dead for Benjen).

As for Ned being small, I was thinking maybe he was not fully filled out yet.
3/27/13 6:12 PM
LittleKang

BigWilliam - Well he cannot answer everything even in books as long as these. Some things, like this, are there for background. And honestly who still even knows the identity? Brandon, Lyanna, Ned and Benjen are all dead (ok presumed dead for Benjen).

Problem is determining age of people. Like jaime was 15-16 when he in the KG at that tourney. So how much older is Ned to Jaime?

And unrelated to this but I want to know more about Valeryia Phone Post
3/27/13 6:34 PM
BigWilliam

Good question. Well Lyanna was older than Ned, and was about to be married. So she couldn't have been more than 16 or 17. Maybe Ned and Jaime are the same age?
3/27/13 6:43 PM
LittleKang

BigWilliam - Good question. Well Lyanna was older than Ned, and was about to be married. So she couldn't have been more than 16 or 17. Maybe Ned and Jaime are the same age?
I dont know. I always portrait Ned as being older.....
And for Lyanna to marry Robert it could be like Sansa/Joffrey that they just have to wait till Lyanna bleeds which puts her closer to 13-14 right? Phone Post
3/27/13 7:11 PM
BigWilliam

I pictured Ned as older as well. But if Lyanna is older then that puts him at least close to the same age. And that is giving Lyanna a bit of extra time instead of marriage as soon as she becomes flowered. Brandon was also unmarried which would make him maybe 18-19 at the oldest I would think.
3/31/13 10:50 PM
BigWilliam

Robb Stark meets.... QYBURN??? Ummm... holy crap.
4/1/13 10:07 AM
BigWilliam

POSSIBLE SPOILER:

I think I have the tie in figured out. Qyburn is at Harrenhall already, Roose Bolton will be left there in charge. Roose made mention to Karstark that he had his 'best hunter' out chasing Jamie Lannister. Robb will leave Harrenhall to make for Riverrun. That sets everything up to follow the events at Harrenhall in the book.
4/1/13 2:27 PM
Zenoplata
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LittleKang - 
BigWilliam - Well he cannot answer everything even in books as long as these. Some things, like this, are there for background. And honestly who still even knows the identity? Brandon, Lyanna, Ned and Benjen are all dead (ok presumed dead for Benjen).

Problem is determining age of people. Like jaime was 15-16 when he in the KG at that tourney. So how much older is Ned to Jaime?

And unrelated to this but I want to know more about Valeryia Phone Post

It'd be cool.

Are the white-walkers native to Westeros or did they come from Valyria as well? That/s what I'd like to know.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.