UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Maynard: I'm on a collision course with Pettis

1/29/13 2:42 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Maynard was in attendance this past weekend in Chicago when the former WEC lightweight champion steamrolled Donald Cerrone in their showdown at UFC on Fox 6. The first-round TKO win over "Cowboy" put Pettis in the position to wait for the winner of Henderson versus Melendez at UFC on Fox 7 in April.

While Maynard doesn't discount the importance of having a title shot hanging in the future, he also knows firsthand how much can go wrong in the process. Fighters get injured, rematches happen and if Pettis' shot at the crown is pushed back, Maynard extended the invitation to punch his dance ticket.

"Pettis is the fight I would love to have," Maynard told Bleacher Report. "At the same time, I understand why he would wait for a title shot. That is what we are all working towards and if that is on his plate then I get sitting out. But things rarely go as planned in this game and if something happens as a result of the Henderson vs. Melendez fight and Pettis decides he's tired of waiting then I'd be happy to oblige him. The way I see it, whether it happens now or later, Pettis and I are on a collision course.

"He does some exciting things inside the cage and I think it would be a great challenge trying to solve that puzzle. I watched him beat Cerrone this weekend, but "Cowboy's" style was the perfect matchup for Pettis to do what he does best. Cerrone comes forward with a straight up and down Muay Thai-style and Pettis was able to dictate space and get off on him. That's not the way I fight and I think I would present some difficult challenges for him."

read entire article...

1/29/13 2:58 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JohnnyChrist
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IMO that's the hardest matchup for Pettis at LW Phone Post
1/29/13 3:01 PM
DamnSevern
1191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1/29/13 3:14 PM
JJarvis_6

I got gray all the way , both 2 of my favorite fighters but grays wrestling will be to much for pettis in my opinion Phone Post
1/29/13 3:25 PM
yellow c0ckahlc
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOAN VIPER -  No. No. No.

Rematch w nate first Phone Post

Why?

Maynard's coming off a win. If anything, a rematch with Miller makes more sense. Otherwise, give him Grant.

1/29/13 3:29 PM
UGCTT_LastCall
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good call out by Gray - the guy he can basically hold down for 3-5 rounds...

...if he doesn't get KTFO going for takedowns.
1/29/13 3:45 PM
ironyuppie

Well they both lost to guida. Makes sense. Phone Post
1/29/13 4:06 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
549 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hope Pettis doesn't have to fight him first. Phone Post
1/29/13 5:37 PM
AceAtGSU
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gray would eat Pettis up in my opinion, styles make fights, and Gray's style spells bad news for Pettis, unless he has realllly been working on his tdd.
1/29/13 6:02 PM
Vitor Me A New One
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maynard by decision. Phone Post
1/29/13 8:15 PM
newjack900
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maynard has fought 4 times in the past 3 years and they were all against Featherweights (2-1-1)
1/29/13 8:16 PM
CrkHedCtrl

I honestly think Maynard vs Bendo will be an awesome matchup if we ever get to see it.
1/29/13 8:45 PM
Blackbeltpanda
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

newjack900 - Maynard has fought 4 times in the past 3 years and they were all against Featherweights (2-1-1)
That featherweight beat Pettis Phone Post
1/29/13 11:35 PM
Bipolar

ironyuppie -  Well they both lost to guida. Makes sense. Phone Post

Incorrect. Maynard beat Guida.
1/30/13 12:24 AM
daddy N0
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maynard should at least have a couple of fights before thinking he's a contender again. Phone Post
1/30/13 12:31 AM
daddy N0

He hasn't had a win in two year. He needs to get a couple of wins together to be on a collision course with anybody. Phone Post
1/30/13 2:24 AM
Overseer got owned by BCE
379 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

daddy N0 - He hasn't had a win in two year. He needs to get a couple of wins together to be on a collision course with anybody. Phone Post
He has a win over Clay?... In 2012... Phone Post
1/30/13 8:17 AM
jarredmercado

newjack900 - Maynard has fought 4 times in the past 3 years and they were all against Featherweights (2-1-1)

I just double checked Wikipedia, and he maynard has not had any fights at fw the last 3 years.
1/30/13 8:21 AM
Pancake Syrup
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UFC aren't dumb enough to lose their #1 contender like that are they. I think Maynard beats him.
1/30/13 8:31 AM
BrokeFitch

i hate the idea of pettis getting wrestlefucked out of his titleshot again!

i still want to see this fight, but like many of you i'm IN FOR LATER!! Phone Post
1/30/13 10:05 AM
UGCTT_LastCall
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Point is, no one wants to see Maynard fight.

EVERYONE wants to see Pettis fight.

Dana doesn't wanna see a guy like Pettis get planted and dry humped for 3-5 rounds...so he will find a way to NOT have Gray fight him yet.
1/30/13 10:38 AM
daddy N0

Overseer got owned by BCE -
daddy N0 - He hasn't had a win in two year. He needs to get a couple of wins together to be on a collision course with anybody. Phone Post
He has a win over Clay?... In 2012... Phone Post
I remember them in the octagon together but I don't think they fought it might of been a dance off and Maynard got served!! Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.