UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> UFC scouting for 115 lb fighters in Mexico

1/29/13 7:35 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1131 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

The UFC recently embarked on a scouting trip to Mexico, where it started the search for fighters in a potential 115-pound strawweight class. A future season of TUF based in Mexico could be filled with fighters from the search, and then the division ultimately could be introduced to the UFC as a whole.

"It went very well," said UFC president Dana White recently. "A lot of guys showed up, it was very successful, and the guys we sent down were very excited with what they saw."

"The way that Brazil caught on fire and took off – Mexico's taking a lot longer than I thought it would, but it's coming. The culture in Mexico, they're fighters. The greatest fighters in history come from Mexico, and there's that whole famous Mexican style of fighting – and you see it some of the guys we have here now. It's getting there slower than I thought it was going to, but when it all comes together, it's going to be amazing."

"You had some people talking smack here and there (about the flyweights). But if you're a real fight fan, how do you not like Ian (McCall)? How do you not like Joe (Benavidez)? How do you not like (Johnson and Dodson) that were here tonight? When people say s--- like that to me, it's hard for me to respond without being a real a--hole. It's really hard for me."

Read entire article...

What do you think about a 115 lb Strawweight division? Would you rather see a strawweight division first, or a Superheavyweight division?

1/29/13 7:52 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MrMead
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would rather see the UFC come up with a ranking system and a legit way to match up fighters other than who is the flavor of the day.
1/29/13 7:54 PM
kinson
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not a fan. If the UFC kept it in places where they like little fighters that's cool but I don't see American or Canadian fans buying any main event straw weight ppv cards. Phone Post
1/29/13 7:57 PM
kinson

Start The Party -
kinson -  Not a fan. If the UFC kept it in places where they like little fighters that's cool but I don't see American or Canadian fans buying any main event straw weight ppv cards. Phone Post

The same thing was said after Pulver vs. Penn 1 at UFC 35. "Nobody is going to buy fights where Lightweights main event on the card now!"

Fans adapt.
Interesting point. Good fights are good fights. Time will tell. Phone Post
1/29/13 8:01 PM
StratTone
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hate to sound negitive but I just can't get into the very light decisions at this time even though I've tried.  For me it's something about the fighters in such a large cage.  

1/29/13 8:03 PM
32Hunter

GTFO!
1/29/13 8:03 PM
Captfireeyes
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'll gladly watch the littles guys fight. I know some people hate watching the lighter weight classes, but a true fight fan likes fights, not fights only between guys of a a certain size. Its the same as people who only watch NFL and hate college and CFL. They are deluded into thinking only big guys can put on a good fight, oh well, their loss. Phone Post
1/29/13 8:07 PM
Snayke13
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Captfireeyes - I'll gladly watch the littles guys fight. I know some people hate watching the lighter weight classes, but a true fight fan likes fights, not fights only between guys of a a certain size. Its the same as people who only watch NFL and hate college and CFL. They are deluded into thinking only big guys can put on a good fight, oh well, their loss. Phone Post
Agreed. But it would be nice if they start signing some more 125ers. As said above, DJs basically cleaned up in what, 3 fights? Phone Post
1/29/13 8:14 PM
Stigga
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dude I am drawing the line in the sand. Bash me and say I'm not a fan but this is ridiculous. Phone Post
1/29/13 8:15 PM
sparkuri

I see the UFC fully supports the global agenda.

Let's find smaller fighters.

The Super Heavyweights you are looking for are not here.

Move on.

No 75# division = FAIL

1/29/13 8:16 PM
armbarheelhook
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MrMead - I would rather see the UFC come up with a ranking system and a legit way to match up fighters other than who is the flavor of the day.
this....

Whats next after the Strawweight mens division..? is uncle dana going to scout midget fighters next.?

At some point there needs to be a cutoff.. Phone Post
1/29/13 8:17 PM
BrattMamley
1042 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

115 is a bit excessive no? Phone Post
1/29/13 8:20 PM
Eunuchorn
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They need to focus on building the flyweight division first and foremost
1/29/13 8:23 PM
Taz

Please do not add any more weight classes,

The way it is today is perfect, never to be tempered with IMO

125,135,145,155,170,185,205,265 Phone Post
1/29/13 8:29 PM
Stigga
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IMO there is already not enough 185 and up fights. I would hate for the bigger guys to have less of a role in the UFC. Phone Post
1/29/13 8:31 PM
MoomBah
388 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know people don't like 125 but at least it had a couple of name fighters...so it's not all that bad. But 115...they have to start from scratch. It'll be a while before they build a fan base.

I'm assuming this division will be introduced in the Mexican TUF. Phone Post
1/29/13 8:33 PM
Chromium
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This article is incorrect. Why my comment was deleted before, I don't know, but after talking to someone in a chatroom, I went through the entire fucking Sherdog database list of Strawweights (411 fighters listed, about 95% female and/or Asian) and failed to turn up a single male Mexican or even someone who was plausibly Mexican American. I also found no male Strawweights outside of Asia with more than one total win pro or amateur, or 4 total fights.

http://www.sherdog.com/stats/fightfinder?association=&weight=13&SearchTxt=&page=1

Look for yourself.

A bunch of dudes were asking Dana White questions t the UFC on Fox 6 post-fight media scrum here: http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/1/27/3920710/dana-white-ufc-on-fox-6-post-fight-scrum-video
Many of them were about Flyweights, and one guy mentions the Mexican trip, which has been confirmed already by a participant as having been for "all weight classes." It was the reporter, presumably Matt Erickson from MMAJunkie since he wrote the article, who mentioned 115 lbs. fighters when he mentioned Mexico and Dana failed to correct him. Most of the quotes from DFW in the article aren't even in relation to that question.

The UFC is just trying to develop prospects in Mexico in general to crack the market. The prize was for 10 fighters to get a full training camp with room & board at Jackson's MMA with a chance at a UFC contract. There is no viable pool of Strawweights outside of Asia and without a single decent Strawweight who can speak English and a global active talent pool smaller than most women's divisions I don't think it's happening and the article is factually incorrect, completely misconstrued, and should not have been repeated here.
1/29/13 8:47 PM
TDogg926
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Let the hate begin..... :( Phone Post
1/29/13 8:52 PM
JediJitsu
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The people combining about this are clueless. Mexicans will run shit in the lower weight classes. Hopefully they find some killers down there. I'm excited. I actually was hoping they would do a tough Mexico. I wouldn't miss a minute of it.

Dana, TUF Mexico needs to happen!! Phone Post
1/29/13 8:58 PM
elburrogrande
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I walk around 155-160lbs and I've cut down to 125lbs before. I wonder if I could make 115? this is exciting news!
1/29/13 8:59 PM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
448 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How about you fill up the 125 division and give it some depth before you try to make a 115 division?

Also, I really doubt that Mexico will ever be a hotbed for MMA.  Boxing is so ingrained into the Mexican culture, I doubt that MMA will be able to supplant boxing.

1/29/13 9:00 PM
Boofhead3
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Id rather a 195 division, as people are saying there is barely any fighters in the flyweight Phone Post
1/29/13 9:05 PM
show no mercy
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

195 or 225-35 cruiser weight first imo Phone Post
1/29/13 9:13 PM
Stigga

show no mercy - 195 or 225-35 cruiser weight first imo Phone Post
I would like to see 205 moved to 195 or 200 and then create a 220. Phone Post
1/29/13 9:15 PM
Petey B
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Eunuchorn - They need to focus on building the flyweight division first and foremost
I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. Five them both time and both divisions will be built. It doesn't happen all at once. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.