UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> UFC scouting for 115 lb fighters in Mexico

1/29/13 9:34 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MisterHawkeMMA
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Honestly, I think it's too soon for 125. Once there's enough talent at 125, than they can try incorporating 115.

What I'd love is if they really started progressively stealing bigger athletes from football and basketball. That way they could fill up 265 enough to also create a 235 division.

With that said... I am worrisome that the more divisions created the easier it will be for one fighter to avoid another. Too many guys already using weight to avoid difficult fights.
1/29/13 9:35 PM
Pancake Syrup
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm not a huge fan of 125 and it's weak roster wise. 115 is just dumb
1/29/13 10:24 PM
Chromium
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dhas - LMAO im from Mexico, trust me, they wont find anyone, and i mean not even 1 fighter that fights at 115, most of the half-legit fighters that come out with the limited training there is here are from bantam to welterweight, 115 is plain silly, there is barely legit MMA fighters here, 115 isn't the place to look for.

See, this is why I wish at some point either MMAJunkie or the UG blog had actually done minimal research to verify the story since it was bullshit. They weren't there looking for Strawweights, I went through or glanced past all 411 Strawweight profiles in the Sherdog database (out of ~121,000 total). I skipped past anyone with a name that was obviously female or Japanese. To the best of what I could determine there are less than 20 male Strawweights I found outside of Asia, less than 10 in the Eastern Hemisphere, none with more than 4 fights, none with more than 1 win, none from Mexico or who were plausibly Mexican-American. Meanwhile the UFC was scouting all weight classes, they weren't looking for Strawweights. It was the reporter who mentioned "115 lbs." and Dana White didn't bother to correct him since he was answering about Mexico and this was a general informal media scrum with a dozen people right in his face. The quotes in the article about Flyweights were answers to other questions and mostly relating to the main-event that night.
1/29/13 10:38 PM
Stigga
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UFC Tonight (@UFCTonight)
1/29/13, 10:23 PM
Will a 115lb division eventually happen in the @ufc? @danawhite says so.

Boo!! Phone Post
1/29/13 10:44 PM
Sofa King Cool
287 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Man, I know I'll get flamed for not being a true fight fan, but I'm that interested in the lower weights. I've come to really enjoy 145, but 135-125-115 is a bit overkill.

Why not combine 145-135 at 140. Then if you must have a 125.

125-140-155-170-185-205 is so
Much better than 115-125-135-145-155-170-185-205

With so much disparity in the higher weights (separated by 15-20 lbs) having five weight classes within 10 lbs is a bit of overkill, IMO.

But I'm sure ill still watch the fights. But in terms of growth of the sport, the casual fans do not care about wight classes below 155. That's unfortunate, but it's the truth (at least in my experience). Phone Post
1/29/13 10:50 PM
Stigga
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't get the hate on her for people who don't like the lighter fights. I will put this out:

In general I significantly enjoy fights at 155 and up then under 155!!! Phone Post
1/29/13 11:32 PM
MichaelMeyers
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Midget fights next? I think anything under 145 mixed fights should happen. Boys vs Girls. Tell me why not.
1/29/13 11:36 PM
Chaz Johnson

Best fighter in history from Mexico? Really? Phone Post
1/30/13 12:00 AM
semtex0809
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pettis ,L garcia , cain , diaz bros arent that small dont really get y dana trying to say mexicans are small Phone Post
1/30/13 12:01 AM
semtex0809
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Asians are more likely to be 115 mexicans eat too much tacos Phone Post
1/30/13 1:10 AM
r_o_y

What is the point of 115 before barely getting 125 rolling?
1/30/13 1:23 AM
BUFFGEO
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MrMead - I would rather see the UFC come up with a ranking system and a legit way to match up fighters other than who is the flavor of the day.

THIS
They need to fix all the shit thats broken rather then keep trying to add more and more
The UFC is like a ship with a busted hull, leaking like a bitch... but all they do is keep beefing up the engine and try and go faster

Personally, I see the UFC sinking last few years not getting better. at this rate, its gonna die... not be the epic world beating entity Dana thinks its becoming.

we'll see
1/30/13 2:25 AM
Chromium
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stigga -  UFC Tonight (@UFCTonight)
1/29/13, 10:23 PM
Will a 115lb division eventually happen in the @ufc? @danawhite says so.

Boo!! Phone Post

He said that fucking years ago.

The Mexico trip still was confirmed by a participant as being for all weight classes, the quotes from the article are all mostly responses to other questions and it was the MMAJunkie reporter mentioning 115 lbs. while Dana didn't deny anything (and talking to a dozen reporters at once), and if they had a single Strawweight from Mexico or Central America present I'd be shocked. The male Strawweight scene outside of Asia is smaller than Women's LW for fuck's sake, not even exaggerating. There are less than 10 in the Sherdog database in North and South America, none in Mexico or Central America, none with more than four fights, none with more than one win (pro or amateur), and even that includes fighters who have been inactive for years.

There are Strawweights in Asia, most interestingly there are some in the Super Fight League, and if the UFC really wants to crack a major Asian market, then Mens 115 might yield them a Filipino or Japanese World Champion, and in a few years it might also be the quickest way to get some Indian fighters on the roster who aren't ridiculously overmatched (this was the most surprising thing when spending a couple hours pouring through the Sherdog database today). However this aint gonna come from Mexico, not any time soon. Sherdog lists over 120,000 fighters historically and that includes _zero_ Mexican strawweights, or any from Central America, and none outside Asia has a record worth jack. Checking opponent's records, I found a couple of Brazilian Flyweights with good records who may or may not have taken at least one fight at Strawweight. This is the best one I think: http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Lincoln-de-Sa-52541

Brazil is hardly a market they need help with and it doesn't help that internationally not a single top Strawweight can speak English unless you include Jesse Taitano (7-9 record but most of his losses were to top Shooto fighters).

Anyway there's no way in fuck that Men's Strawweight is happening anytime soon.
1/30/13 2:29 AM
Chromium

BUFFGEO - 
MrMead - I would rather see the UFC come up with a ranking system and a legit way to match up fighters other than who is the flavor of the day.

THIS
They need to fix all the shit thats broken rather then keep trying to add more and more
The UFC is like a ship with a busted hull, leaking like a bitch... but all they do is keep beefing up the engine and try and go faster

Personally, I see the UFC sinking last few years not getting better. at this rate, its gonna die... not be the epic world beating entity Dana thinks its becoming.

we'll see

An official ranking system, like a least an official Top 10, would probably give the fighter's contract leverage, but at the same time it could really help with casual fans to keep their interest.

Also, why do people always say shit lke "the UFC is gonna die at this rate" because their own interest has waned? The UFC is still hugely profitable, and still has expansion options, plus they're getting a fresh influx of talent with the Strikeforce talent. Your interest might die, the UFC will be fine.
1/30/13 2:38 AM
sgotwalks
937 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum.posts&thread=2117377

1/30/13 3:24 AM
GaryColeman

Why doesn't Dana make 'The Ultimate Fighter: Ethiopia' and start at 70 pound division if he likes watching malnourished toddlers pillow fight each other to long boring decisions so much? Phone Post
1/30/13 3:54 AM
sgotwalks
937 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GaryColeman -  Why doesn't Dana make 'The Ultimate Fighter: Ethiopia' and start at 70 pound division if he likes watching malnourished toddlers pillow fight each other to long boring decisions so much? Phone Post

If you ever had the opportunity to enjoy the likes of Michael Carbajal, who spent his legendary boxing career fighting between 108 and 115 lbs, you would understand the value guys of his stature can bring to the world of combat sports. Humberto Gonzalez, Scotty Olson, Jorge Arce, Vic Darchinyan...........these were super exciting guys to watch during the highlight of their respective careers. 

Carbajal was the 1993 Ring Magazine Boxer of the Year, and his fight with Humberto Gonzalez was the Ring Magazine Fight of the Year. All it will take is one Carbajal type guy to enter MMA at the same time as a Gonzalez type guy, and a lot of attitudes will change towards the little guys.

1/30/13 4:18 AM
john joe
379 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fighters Only, web/editorial
lol 115; nobody but nobody wants to see that.
1/30/13 4:56 AM
Y2JB

Scrap 125, bring in 220.
1/30/13 5:35 AM
I've been on both sides of a Glory Hole
452 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When this happens I'm pretty much done

115, FLW, Women's BW, BW, FW, LW, WW, MW, LHW, HW.

Too many weight classes/belts is part of the problem in boxing. BW just finally got filled and then boom they add flyweight which virtually has no contenders right now. You've got literally a 2 person division. Guys going from title shot to title shot. Shit is getting ridiculous Phone Post
1/30/13 6:19 AM
Galanis
609 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chromium - This article is incorrect. Why my comment was deleted before, I don't know, but after talking to someone in a chatroom, I went through the entire fucking Sherdog database list of Strawweights (411 fighters listed, about 95% female and/or Asian) and failed to turn up a single male Mexican or even someone who was plausibly Mexican American. I also found no male Strawweights outside of Asia with more than one total win pro or amateur, or 4 total fights.

http://www.sherdog.com/stats/fightfinder?association=&weight=13&SearchTxt=&page=1

Look for yourself.

A bunch of dudes were asking Dana White questions t the UFC on Fox 6 post-fight media scrum here: http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/1/27/3920710/dana-white-ufc-on-fox-6-post-fight-scrum-video
Many of them were about Flyweights, and one guy mentions the Mexican trip, which has been confirmed already by a participant as having been for "all weight classes." It was the reporter, presumably Matt Erickson from MMAJunkie since he wrote the article, who mentioned 115 lbs. fighters when he mentioned Mexico and Dana failed to correct him. Most of the quotes from DFW in the article aren't even in relation to that question.

The UFC is just trying to develop prospects in Mexico in general to crack the market. The prize was for 10 fighters to get a full training camp with room & board at Jackson's MMA with a chance at a UFC contract. There is no viable pool of Strawweights outside of Asia and without a single decent Strawweight who can speak English and a global active talent pool smaller than most women's divisions I don't think it's happening and the article is factually incorrect, completely misconstrued, and should not have been repeated here.

I am not going to let this comment go by ignored. Read it people

1/30/13 6:22 AM
Odinson
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Start The Party - 
kinson -  Not a fan. If the UFC kept it in places where they like little fighters that's cool but I don't see American or Canadian fans buying any main event straw weight ppv cards. Phone Post

The same thing was said after Pulver vs. Penn 1 at UFC 35. "Nobody is going to buy fights where Lightweights main event on the card now!"

Fans adapt.

sounds like the capitalist model. fuck em they will but what we tell them too. lol
1/30/13 8:50 AM
gabemadrid
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

superCalo -

If I can bulk up to 115 I'm going to audition, nothing to lose, just chasing a dream.

Lol Phone Post
1/30/13 10:24 AM
Son of Neckbone
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

115? Where does this end?

The lightest weightclass in high school wrestling right now is 106, populated largely by 14 year old underclassmen who are small for their age. Grown men? Ridonkulous.
1/30/13 1:35 PM
knuckleballs

Just bring back the WEC for this!!!!

Have a second-tier 125 weight-class there and have a first-tier 115 pound weight class. I am not paying a penny to watch 115 pounders fight. And, yes i am an amateur fighter and know i'm being a hypocrite, i get that i'm being sizest, blah, blah, blah... but, Dana, please don't bring them to the UFC!!!

I don't watch 115 pound boxers, kickboxers, midget-wrestling, or playground fight video on youtube. Man, please don't make me watch guys who are 4'11" fight.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.