UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Weidman vs Silva 'more possible than people think'

1/29/13 11:32 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

UFC president Dana White met with top contender Chris Weidman last week, and on Tuesday's edition of UFC Tonight, White revealed that the unbeated Wiedman could be facing UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva after all.

"I think that fight's closer and more possible than people think," said UFC president Dana White. "I actually thought Weidman was going to be out a lot longer than he was because of his injuries. But, he's healed up pretty well and he's going to be ready to start training again in a couple months."

"We're looking at a couple different options right now, some options that we like. And Weidman is one of them."

How possible do you think the fight is? And why?

1/29/13 11:55 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
savage animal
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/29/13 11:58 PM

Weidman has to be the front runner, and I'm all for it.

considering the debut ppv decision loss to Boetsch, surely Lombard can't be thrown right in, even after an impressive win over Paul Harris and if he has another over Okami, not yer, and I don't think the Japan card will be widely viewed, which was Weidman's downfall, but stranger title shots than one to a 1-2 Lombard have been doled out as of late, I think Lombard is on the table.

I can't imagine they'll let Silva talk them into Rockhold, and we know Belfort v Rockhold is rumored, but despite that rumored matchup under consideration, I still think Rockhold is more likely than Lombard, Belfort least likely of the bunch, but on a Brazil card, wouldn't rule that rematch out

Cung Le surely is not even on the table

1/29/13 11:55 PM
Kirik
1732 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor

I think the danger to benefit ratio is not right for this one, from Silva's management's point of view. A win over Weidman would pretty much leave the entire UG saying Weidman was over hyped all along, and they expected it. But a loss would be destructive to the legacy.

1/29/13 11:57 PM
Hocky Balboa
8442 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just want to see Silva fight again soon, against whoever.

1/30/13 12:00 AM
yellow c0ckahlc
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If Rashad wins Saturday, we'll already know who Anderson's fighting next.

1/30/13 12:24 AM
yellow c0ckahlc
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik - 

I think the danger to benefit ratio is not right for this one, from Silva's management's point of view. A win over Weidman would pretty much leave the entire UG saying Weidman was over hyped all along, and they expected it. But a loss would be destructive to the legacy.

That's exactly WHY they're avoiding the fight. Not because Anderson is scared (fucking LOL), but because Chris needs more names under his belt before facing Anderson. They're gonna wanna validate the loss before it occurs, not after Weidman starts defending the belt against top names.

1/30/13 12:26 AM
da Vinci 81
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/30/13 12:27 AM
Kirik -

That's the biggest problem with Silva and his camp. Their first priority is keeping his streak alive and preserving his legacy, not defending his belt against all comers or finding the biggest challenges.
1/30/13 12:31 AM
garrote
384 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's too bad. No interest in this fight what so ever. Phone Post
1/30/13 12:32 AM
12SixElbow
615 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Weidman hasn't done anything to make it interesting.

Before the Munoz fight there was no talk, he beat Munoz after an injury and a year layoff. It isn't enough to make me think he has a chance to beat the best.

1/30/13 12:32 AM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
446 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Weidman will not get a title shot coming off a victory on Fuel TV.  It just won't happen.

Ellenberger didn't get one, Gustafsson didn't get one, and TKZ didn't get one.

1/30/13 12:38 AM
Bailx
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ANDERSON needs to move UP to 205 and fight JONES for the TITLE
1/30/13 12:50 AM
5 Round Main Event
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My god this unbeated Wiedman.
1/30/13 1:02 AM
newjack900
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik - 

I'm w ya on this one - to add to it, I would hate for the legacy of the possible GOAT (Fedor) as well as his UFC unbeaten streak & general belief that hes unstoppable to all end at the hands of a guy w 9 total fights (5 in UFC). I have nothing against weidman, outside of him having no real name outside of the hardcores due to lack of experience in the sport.. I think Weidman is the worst kind of matchup for Anderson & would love to see him take his aura of invincibility w him into a Superfight. Weidman is in a weird position Bc I think he needs a signature win v a top guy like vitor-chael-bisping-rockhold-lombard to showcase him first. Sucks none of those fights seem possible right now
1/30/13 1:04 AM
12SixElbow
615 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PatSmithsAnkle - Should be Weidman...Rashad? I know it's chic these days to not have a win in a particular weight class (ever or several years) and get a title shot (see Edgar, Chael) but Weidman should come before Rashad. Rashad seems interested in the fight but by his own admission he might not be the same fighter at 185 and even if he would fight and beat Anderson who is to say that he will stay in the division?

As far as this name recognition or names under his belt who else is out there other then Rashad? Rockhold? No one knows who he is. Le? Not worth even discussing. Lombard? He may have more fights and if he looks impressive against Okami then maybe. But I learned a long time ago I will never put faith in a striker based fighter to beat Anderson...Weidman is the best bet in my opinion.

Cung Le is 10x the star (at this point) that Chris Weidman is. Thus more sales, thus more money for Anderson.

Rockhold you could bill as champion vs champion.

Weidman is a tough sell right now.

1/30/13 1:13 AM
Bailx
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you know it's funny... we have developed these new standards for Anderson Silva. It's almost like the Michael Jordan Rules the Pistons had back in the 90's.

i remember when we might be a little upset if say Tito fought a replacement guy like cote, but we still all watched anyways (i did anyways)...

anderson really is so good he needs to move up in weight class, but if he doesn't we should maybe just all enjoy the show.

Personally though I feel it's wasted talent. Maybe he doesn't want to fight at 205 due to little Nog, but all the while the world misses out on Jones vs. Silva
1/30/13 1:37 AM
SOO72

Edited: 01/30/13 1:38 AM
How valid is a legacy if it was manufactured by matching the champion against the easiest available opponents?

Sure, it will extend his win streak to dispatch Cung Le or whoever he chooses to fight, but so what? Why do people seem to care more about seeing that come to pass rather than have the champion be suitably challenged?

Even if you feel Silva has earned the right to handpick opponents, is that really what you want to see? Do you want to see Anderson sleepwalk through a guy like Cung Le or would you rather be a little bit excited or apprehensive to watch him fight against a legit threat to his belt?
1/30/13 2:11 AM
Topsyjt
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik -

Agreed. At this current time weidman is a lose/lose for Silva. He's been talked about purely as no1 else fits the bill to challenge Silva with any media name. Phone Post
1/30/13 3:19 AM
kickasspoolparty
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DoomFarmer - Weidman needs 1 more fight. Phone Post
I was just about to post this...

He really does though. He needs a challenge of epic proportion. Cung Le is a bigger name IMO, so that's why the powers at be would push that fight with Anderson. I say they match up Cung and Chris for a number 1 contenders match. It would build more hype for either of them win or lose. The middleweight division is all kinds of mixed up right now. It's going to be interesting to see how it all plays out... Phone Post
1/30/13 3:22 AM
Christ Crapped in My Fish and Chips
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik - 

Not to mention lack of ppv revenue for Silva's pockets. I bet he was pissed Bisping lost, probably cost him 200 grand

1/30/13 3:30 AM
kickasspoolparty
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd also like to state for the record, seeing as there's so much debate on Anderson's opponents, that he is a beast... Period. He smashes everything in site. Chael put up the biggest and only threat to Anderson since he arrived in the UFC. Yeah, Cote's fight was lame, as was the Maia fight, and then the was the infamous Leites fight which was a shame too... Other than that Anderson simply dominates everyone they put in front of him. Walked through Vitor.. Bonner on roids, smashed him. Forrest with a jab moving backward. He snatches James Irvin's leg kick and DROPS him with a huge shot. His flurries are a thing of legend. He disfigured Rich Franklin... Come on people... Anderson is the best in the world and possibly the goat... Be honest with yourself. Saying Anderson is overrated is like saying Nick Diaz isn't entertaining. It's just not true... Phone Post
1/30/13 6:21 AM
diggity

12SixElbow -

Before the Munoz fight there was no talk, he beat Munoz after an injury and a year layoff. It isn't enough to make me think he has a chance to beat the best.

This exactly. Phone Post
1/30/13 6:26 AM
Lazer MMA

diggity - 
12SixElbow -

This exactly. Phone Post

This is true in a real way IMO but at the same time "he beat #3 and #6 and that's better than many of AS's opponents when defending! AS is not forfeiting his top 10's and neither is Weidman!

I'd like to see Weidman take a fight before AS because he would have been out so long no question. In terms of him being the number 1 there is nothing to talk about as a #3 and 6 puts him there.
1/30/13 6:37 AM
Lazer MMA

Christ Crapped in My Fish and Chips - 
Kirik - 

Not to mention lack of ppv revenue for Silva's pockets. I bet he was pissed Bisping lost, probably cost him 200 grand

Weidman (with 20K more twitter followers) is no better than Rockhold, that's only the easiest fight for him.

Let's not forget what Dana just said (and what a few of us knew).

I'd like to see Weidmen take a fight off his layoff. Belford would be good IMO.

If Lombard wins, give him the shot with the winner of the Weidman fight up next.

1/30/13 6:47 AM
Lazer MMA

Kirik - 

This is spot on

At the same time he risked the very same VS many who did not beat a #3 & #6 but were less dangerous to him (well many feel Weidmen is a danger).
1/30/13 7:35 AM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

da Vinci 81 -
Kirik -

That's the biggest problem with Silva and his camp. Their first priority is keeping his streak alive and preserving his legacy, not defending his belt against all comers or finding the biggest challenges.
Isn't that his managements job? Make as much money as possible and keep that belt? Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.