UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Florian Bothered By A. Silva's "Opponent Picking"

1/30/13 12:33 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Deaf Forever
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Former UFC contender Kenny Florian didn't hold back when Anderson Silva came up and his rumored decision to not want a fight with Chris Weidman. Florian, an analyst on UFC Tonight, believes the UFC middleweight champion needs to step up and take on Weidman.

"This is my problem. I give Anderson Silva a pass for pretty much anything. But when he starts calling out guys like Luke Rockhold and Cung Le and you're saying you want big name fighters, those guys are maybe at the same level as far as name recognition," Florian said. "I believe Chris Weidman is just a bad style matchup for Anderson Silva and that's why he's being avoided. If you're calling out those guys, you better include Chris Weidman."

Weidman has said much the same in several interviews, believing that Silva doesn't want to face him inside the Octagon. "The Spider" has not said much regarding the matter, leaving his managerial team to do that.

Wonder what he thinks of GSP fighting Diaz when Hendricks is the CLEAR #1 contender.
1/30/13 12:34 AM
12SixElbow
626 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Florian is upset he never had the strap IMO.

If anyone has earned the chance to pick opponents, its Anderson Silva.

1/30/13 12:36 AM
Deaf Forever

Here's the article btw.

http://www.fightline.com/fl/news/2013/0129/552973/kenny-florian/
1/30/13 12:51 AM
lenz0799

Allowing fighters to pick fights undermines the entire idea of competition, champions, and ranking.

You just end up in situations like fedor, where people start to doubt a fighters high rankings if they wernt fighting the true contenders. Phone Post
1/30/13 12:56 AM
5 Round Main Event

Nobody picks their opponents. Managers and camps express feelings on what fights they want when they are asked about it and people blow it out of proportion.

To act as though it isn't appropriate for a fighter/manager to want the right fights (which usually ends up being what the fans want to see) is ridiculous.
1/30/13 12:56 AM
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe

12SixElbow -

What?!?! That makes no sense. He thinks Anderson is ducking Weidman because he himself never won a title? Wtf Phone Post
1/30/13 12:58 AM
Christ Crapped in My Fish and Chips
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's all about the $. Florian can't relate, he was never good enough to be in that position

1/30/13 1:05 AM
12SixElbow
626 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Glovegate - 
12SixElbow - 

Nobody earns the right to pick opponents.  This is mma, not the sports entertainment train wreck known as boxing.

Thats bullshit.

Complete bullshit. His entire payday is based on PPV sales, he earned it.

1/30/13 1:06 AM
12SixElbow

HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe - 
12SixElbow -

What?!?! That makes no sense. He thinks Anderson is ducking Weidman because he himself never won a title? Wtf Phone Post

He was never in a position of GOAT, or were 90 percent of his pay was based on PPV sales.

Anderson makes Anderson Silva money because people pay to see him fight, he gets a cut, Florian was never in that position as a champion.

1/30/13 1:15 AM
Richard Tuck
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Florian never said this shit when he was at 185, he talks now knowing Anderson won't fight people smaller than himself
1/30/13 1:18 AM
Brian J DSouza

lenz0799 -  Allowing fighters to pick fights undermines the entire idea of competition, champions, and ranking.

You just end up in situations like fedor, where people start to doubt a fighters high rankings if they wernt fighting the true contenders. Phone Post

Where are there official UFC rankings that determine the next contender?

1/30/13 1:27 AM
neibs

Regarding gsp vs Diaz, I think it's happening because it will sell well now. Ufcs WW division is so stacked with high level wrestlers who will likely wrestlefuck Diaz that they can't risk putting him against anyone else until they get there big money fight out if him. Personally I don't like the idea of a guy getting a title shot off a loss (and a suspension) but I get the business side of it all. I think Hendricks deserved the shot. Phone Post
1/30/13 1:34 AM
GoldMedaLInTapping(R)

If AS loses he wants it to be against a big name fighter so his legacy won't be too hurt by it. Big if tho. Cant really see anyone beating him any time soon. Phone Post
1/30/13 1:45 AM
BshMstr
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GoldMedaLInTapping(R) -  If AS loses he wants it to be against a big name fighter so his legacy won't be too hurt by it. Big if tho. Cant really see anyone beating him any time soon. Phone Post

i disagree...

i think when someone doesn't fight the clear #1 contender, it opens them up for a lot of criticism as to why... now in the case of JBJ (vs Sonnen) and GSP (vs Diaz), those fights were picked by the UFC, so the fighters aren't to blame. but Weidman is the clear UFC contender (based off pretty much every ranking site), and if not him, then Rockhold.
1/30/13 2:03 AM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
488 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12SixElbow - 
Glovegate - 
12SixElbow - 

Nobody earns the right to pick opponents.  This is mma, not the sports entertainment train wreck known as boxing.

Thats bullshit.

What's your opinion on GSP vs Diaz then?

GSP makes more money than Anderson and is a bigger PPV draw, surely he should be allowed to pick the money fight with Diaz as opposed to the comparatively lesser known Hendricks.

1/30/13 2:56 AM
JOESONDO
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Glovegate -
12SixElbow - 
Glovegate - 
12SixElbow - 

Thats bullshit.

Nope.  Nobody forces anyone to fight.  You don't come into the sport and write your own rules.  Fight the contender or retire.

There is no right to not do your job to earn.

I'm not saying he should fight for free, he will make millions regardless of who he fights (and has made untold millions so far).  I'm not saying he should move up to 205, he is a MW.  I'm not saying he should fight before he's ready, he will have ample time to prepare.  I'm not saying he should fight in Weidman's home town, a neutral location or even Brazil would be fine.  I'm not saying he should fight his friends, he's not friends with Weidman. 

Only to you STUPID fucking nutriders is the above actually considered unreasonable.

Edit:  And btw, by saying that he's earned the right to pick his opponents based on projected sales and not merit alone, you admit that the guys he wants to fight are not the ones he would be fighting if he were picking on merit alone.  You admit they don't yet deserve a fight with him based on merit.  Good job.

Agreed. Asking him to defend his belt vs the number 1 contender in his own weightclass is more than reasonable. Allowing Silva to hand pick his opponents is bullshit. He is GOAT and can do amazing things in the cage but picking his opponents hurts his credibility. Nobody but the blind nut riders want him to have a walk over. Cung Li and Rockhold are both cake walks and not big names to boot. Why pick them other than he thinks they will be easy fights? Phone Post
1/30/13 3:18 AM
12SixElbow

Glovegate - 
12SixElbow - 
Glovegate - 
12SixElbow - 

Thats bullshit.

Nope.  Nobody forces anyone to fight.  You don't come into the sport and write your own rules.  Fight the contender or retire.

I'm not saying he should fight for free, he will make millions regardless of who he fights (and has made untold millions so far).  I'm not saying he should move up to 205, he is a MW.  I'm not saying he should fight before he's ready, he will have ample time to prepare.  I'm not saying he should fight in Weidman's home town, a neutral location or even Brazil would be fine.  I'm not saying he should fight his friends, he's not friends with Weidman. 

Only to you STUPID fucking nutriders is the above actually considered unreasonable.

Edit:  And btw, by saying that he's earned the right to pick his opponents based on projected sales and not merit alone, you admit that the guys he wants to fight are not the ones he would be fighting if he were picking on merit alone.  You admit they don't yet deserve a fight with him based on merit.  Good job.

Why the name calling?

We disagree, grow up.  He isn't refusing to defend his title, they haven't offered him Weidman.

You say fight the contender or retire, tell Dana to offer the fight.

Also, come up with a valid arguement that Weidman is the number 1 contender...

1/30/13 3:20 AM
12SixElbow

JOESONDO - 
Glovegate -
12SixElbow - 
Glovegate - 
12SixElbow - 

Thats bullshit.

Agreed. Asking him to defend his belt vs the number 1 contender in his own weightclass is more than reasonable. Allowing Silva to hand pick his opponents is bullshit. He is GOAT and can do amazing things in the cage but picking his opponents hurts his credibility. Nobody but the blind nut riders want him to have a walk over. Cung Li and Rockhold are both cake walks and not big names to boot. Why pick them other than he thinks they will be easy fights? Phone Post

1. Weidman isn't the number 1 contender

2. The UFC hasn't tried to make the fight

3. He is sharing his opinion (Rather, Soares is) not refusing fights.

You're hopfully hating on GSP for avoiding Hendricks?

1/30/13 3:46 AM
PJ Benn Fan
296 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12SixElbow -
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe - 
12SixElbow -

He was never in a position of GOAT, or were 90 percent of his pay was based on PPV sales.

Anderson makes Anderson Silva money because people pay to see him fight, he gets a cut, Florian was never in that position as a champion.

So wouldnt it make sense for silva then to want the opponent with the most ufc wins since the ufc is kind of the sport now?

If your telling us silva is just worried about his ppv #s, then it would only benefit him to face the guy with the best recent wins that the ufc marketing team can go to work on.

The guys coming from strikeforce are in no way more deserving of a shot over weidman and weidman is very marketable imo.

Hes a goodlooking (no homo) all american kid with a great skillset who hasnt lost and they can milk the hurricane drama he dealt with as well.

Idk if silva is ducking chris but i do know i dont like who hes requesting to fight instead of chris. Phone Post
1/30/13 4:06 AM
JFC1001
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12SixElbow -

This Phone Post
1/30/13 4:08 AM
Hawxby

Glovegate -
12SixElbow - 

Word! Phone Post
1/30/13 4:38 AM
Deaf Forever

BshMstr - 
GoldMedaLInTapping(R) -  If AS loses he wants it to be against a big name fighter so his legacy won't be too hurt by it. Big if tho. Cant really see anyone beating him any time soon. Phone Post

i disagree...

i think when someone doesn't fight the clear #1 contender, it opens them up for a lot of criticism as to why... now in the case of JBJ (vs Sonnen) and GSP (vs Diaz), those fights were picked by the UFC, so the fighters aren't to blame. but Weidman is the clear UFC contender (based off pretty much every ranking site), and if not him, then Rockhold.

Not true, GSP picked Diaz. He's upset about Nick's post fight comments after he beat BJ enn.
1/30/13 4:44 AM
Deaf Forever

Everyone complaining about Silva ducking Weidman should be outraged that GSP is fighting Diaz coming off a loss when Hendricks has beaten Koscheck, Kampmann, Pierce and knocked out Jon fucking Fitch. GSP literally asked for his opponent and got him. The fact that all these people who complain about Silva-Weidman don't mind GSP choosing his next title defense speaks volumes about their real motivation. These are the same obsessive Silva haters (Goku, Glovegate) that prayed for a Chael victory. They found a new Great White Hope in Chris.

1/30/13 5:09 AM
TenOfSwords
94 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Deaf Forever - Everyone complaining about Silva ducking Weidman should be outraged that GSP is fighting Diaz coming off a loss when Hendricks has beaten Koscheck, Kampmann, Pierce and knocked out Jon fucking Fitch. GSP literally asked for his opponent and got him. The fact that all these people who complain about Silva-Weidman don't mind GSP choosing his next title defense speaks volumes about their real motivation. These are the same obsessive Silva haters (Goku, Glovegate) that prayed for a Chael victory. They found a new Great White Hope in Chris.

And those who object to "mismatches" and are not slamming the just-announced Phil Davis-Vinny Malgalhaes debacle are hypocrites, whether they're (Anderson) Silva haters or not.

1/30/13 7:41 AM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

Glovegate -
12SixElbow - 

Except Florians buddy from Canada...amiright!!!!???!!! Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.