UnderGround Forums

JKD UnderGround >> Teaching ground fighting

1/30/13 10:05 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Joe Maffei
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/30/13 10:25 AM

When I teach ground fighting my approach is very different then most. Heavily influenced by BJJ & wrestling, but the direction is altered.

For example: For most many hours are spent learning how to take folks to the ground, however very little is spent on getting back to your feet.
I believe you should be able to get to your feet from almost every position top and bottom and get good at it. Not just from a scrabble but using solid technique, leverage, rotation, angles, position, posting, balance etc.

There should be only 2 reasons why you are on the ground;
1.By accident
2.To detain the offender.
If you have experience in how to move on the ground add this to your training. I see a little more of this in MMA using the cage to get up but that's about it. There is a time and place for everything and you should know why you are on the deck and why you should get up.
Not to forget multiple attackers and weapons...

Times are changing!
1/30/13 11:57 AM
Adam Singer
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joe, Sorry to say you are not that different ; ). We spend some time every single MMA session working on getting back to our feet. Drill systems for Standups, Wall walks, survive-recover-stand, etc etc. From every bad position and every place in the cage. With todays MMA rules, unless you are the better wrestler (and there is always someone better) then being able to get right back to your feet is imperitive. Just another place where MMA and SD cross over. Even if our straight No Gi classes all guard work is done from the standpoint of Sweep-Submit-Standup.
Adam
1/30/13 12:54 PM
Joe Maffei
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yo Adam... ;-)
How R U doing ? and how is Rory. Please tell him I said hey.

I realize many do practice getting back to the feet for MMA, I don't see much in traditional BJJ practice.

Do you guys work on getting up from the mount, or X-side, or NS when on top? In almost all cases this is a very good position and no one in their right mind would abort after acquiring dominance.

I understand that when fighters realize in advance or on the spot their ground game is weaker then their opponent they need to get to a better advantage back up stairs. But what if they have the advantage on the ground and have dominance, would the mind set still be get up? Or would it be, stay, control and finish as trained to do.

I can hear the corner now
Why did you get off, why did you let him up. You were mounted you were winning. I would have the same thought ringside.

I guess my point is winning has different meanings in different situations.

IMHO All in all MMA is still the place to test the concept, and the best guy to have the best chance to getting on his feet is the best ground fighter with the right mind set to learn and do so.
2/1/13 12:23 AM
cprevost
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joe, we don't teach as much standing back up because we LIKE grappling on the ground in BJJ. In fact that's mostly what it's about. :)
2/1/13 10:24 AM
Joe Maffei

cprevost I understand and that's your choice, same as BJJ doesn't do any striking but it has to add it if you want to make that cross over that Adam was referring to, and by the way I wasn't busting Adams balls, I respect the hell out of those guys down their. I am just offering another option.;-)
So I teach getting up even from dominant positions. If your wife and kids need to run by all means keep the perp down there until escape is complete. If it's you in a parking garage get the hell off that guy and deploy or run like hell. (Murphy's Law)
That's the mind set.

Now if you do decide to detain the perp something else to use, the 93% RULE.
93% of all people are right side strong, dominate that side and control weapon deployment from the offender. We also use the pat down drill from hear. Side also offers us a clear path to our own weapon deployment if need be.

So you see this is what I mean about the shift from recreational MA to essential MA.
BTW did any of you see the video from HLS on defense???
Sickening... :-(
2/1/13 8:46 PM
lloydmtz
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why is that video from the HLS sickening?
2/1/13 9:46 PM
Adam Singer
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What's HLS? Phone Post
2/1/13 11:05 PM
Paul Hopkins
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Homeland Security Phone Post
3/14/13 9:34 PM
JRockwell
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Would love to be sickened by this video, please post a link! :) Phone Post
3/15/13 11:20 AM
JasonKeaton
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joe,

We do a lot of that in my MACP class. Both levels.

Jason.

3/15/13 12:04 PM
Joe Maffei

Jason!!! How are you my brother

"We do a lot of that in my MACP class. Both levels."

I bet you do, you guys train real world . This would be a natural progression for what you guys do and what all should do in a SD situation.
Great s to hear from you..
3/16/13 12:58 AM
Paul Hopkins
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.dhs.gov/video/options-consideration-active-shooter-training-video Phone Post
3/17/13 11:08 AM
JRockwell
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks Paul! Phone Post
3/18/13 9:02 AM
Joe Maffei

Thanks Paul you beat me to it...

JRockwell...What do you think of that???

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.