UnderGround Forums

GeekGround >> Star Brand in the 616?!?!

1/30/13 1:00 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
paw
1414 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

From http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=43461

Marvel Comics has provided a first look at Dustin Weaver's cover for "Avengers" #8 written by Jonathan Hickman with art by Adam Kubert that features the return of the Star Brand. A hand branded with the glowing glyph, last seen in Warren Ellis' "newuniversal" series, is the central focus of Weaver's cover. Traditionally, the Star Brand gives its bearer incredible, nearly god-like powers.

It is unknown at this point whether this Star Brand bearer is Kenneth Connell from Ellis' "newuniversal," one of the five previous wielders of the brand from its other iterations or an altogether new character, but Jonathan Hickman's enjoyment of "newuniversal" is well-known. The writer even reiterated it when pressed in a pre-"Avengers" #1 release Q&A with the CBR readers. When asked about an "Avengers" promo homage to the series, he simply said, "I've always liked that promo a lot. … I like 'newuniversal' a lot. No surprise, I like Warren a lot."

Check out Weaver's cover below.

1/30/13 1:01 PM
paw
1414 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

paw comments:  If it wasn't Hickman, I'd making some smarmy comment about yet another massively powered character in the Marvel U.  But it's Hickman, so I'm giddy about it.

1/30/13 3:26 PM
PAX
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Star Brand by Jim Shooter was pretty good too til they made him psycho. Phone Post
1/30/13 3:38 PM
Alumatine
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hickman is awesome. The newest avengers is great as always. By far my favorite writer right now Phone Post
2/2/13 3:17 AM
MarkRobinson
1270 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yeah 

Hickman is my favorite too. He can do no wrong. 

Im super hyped that he brought back Hyperion. And Captain Marvel is in the Avengers now too? this is perhaps the most powerful avengers team ever. 

Im such a dork for the uber powerful guys. The fight between Hyperion and Hulk in Avengers #3 was great. 

2/2/13 10:08 AM
danny A
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WOW!
2/4/13 7:24 PM
DOOOOOOOOOM!!
152 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hickman will do well with this.  Shit, I'd read Archie if Hickman wrote it.

2/4/13 8:08 PM
MarkRobinson
1270 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have Star Brand #1 but I can barely remember anything about him. Isn't he a motorcyclist that gets the star brand power and then majorly fucks up? is the star brand power related to the quantum bands?
2/4/13 9:25 PM
NCar
134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

After reading up about Ellis' reboot on it I would really love to read it. The original series by Ellis that is.
2/5/13 12:45 AM
Slouse
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He is given the Star Brand from an old man, I think an alien, off in the country somewhere. It's a transferable mark that can be passed around,with major power, but it has to be bled once and a while to keep its power down.

Which leads to him majorly fucking up Pittsburgh.Great series tho, with John Byrne doing some work on it.
2/5/13 1:23 AM
MarkRobinson

Slouse - He is given the Star Brand from an old man, I think an alien, off in the country somewhere. It's a transferable mark that can be passed around,with major power, but it has to be bled once and a while to keep its power down.

Which leads to him majorly fucking up Pittsburgh.Great series tho, with John Byrne doing some work on it.
Thanks . // will vote up later Phone Post
2/5/13 6:02 PM
Slouse
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No problem. I think I still have all the issues in a box somewhere, was really into the New Universe.

2/5/13 11:44 PM
Matthieu Battle
118 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hoooray! peter's back to make the buttsecks with ock!
2/6/13 1:22 AM
danny A
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The old man was Ken himself. The Star Child sent him back into the past.
It's been years since I've read them so I can't quite explain it all. Things got a bit weird after the Pitt one shot.
2/6/13 2:56 AM
Leigh
810 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MarkRobinson -

yeah 

Hickman is my favorite too. He can do no wrong. 

Im super hyped that he brought back Hyperion. And Captain Marvel is in the Avengers now too? this is perhaps the most powerful avengers team ever. 

Im such a dork for the uber powerful guys. The fight between Hyperion and Hulk in Avengers #3 was great. 

Link pls? Phone Post
2/6/13 6:32 AM
MarkRobinson

Edited: 02/06/13 6:33 AM

Well its not posted on the GG. i got it on my ipad. Hulk was still being mind controlled by AByss and Thor was tied up to a crazy power sucking tree. Hulk attacks Hyperion and they go back and forth on a few panels for a few pages until Thor gets loose and blasts Abyss, thereby releasing hulk from her control. Hyperion hits him and he turns back to banner. 

It was real subtle but i thought it was a neat fight. 

heres a few of the scans/ panels .

Hyperion is a beast. Its essentially like having The Sentry back before he got matter manipulation powers. Hyperion is a wild card. I have a feeling Marvel was like "Yo Hickman, we want you to bring back The Sentry" and hickman convinced them to use Hyperion instead. Hickman is already taking the story in a direction that shows Hyperion is mentally unstable. 

2/6/13 6:35 AM
MarkRobinson

Looks like the Starbrand stuff is gonna be pretty awesome. Heres a preview of him going against the big 3. 

2/6/13 6:39 AM
Leigh
810 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've read before that Hyperion is not Class 100 (by that I don't mean 100 tons but able to hang with the big boys like Hulk, Thor, Herc etc).

Is that true? This panel suggests otherwise.

And VTFU for the scans :)
2/6/13 7:29 AM
MarkRobinson

Far as i know, Hyperion is Class 100. Hes been jobbed rentlessly in the past but hes basically a superman knock off, not unlike gladiator. he can and should be able to bang with any of the top tier. 

2/6/13 7:40 AM
MarkRobinson

Apparently this is a whole new Hyperion from another dimension and not one weve seen before. 

"This is yet another parallel universe Hyperion. This is not King Hyperion, or Supreme Power Hyperion, this is not Gruenwald's Hyperion. This is Hyperion without all that baggage. This is Hyperion with a fresh slate, for a very specific purpose. He comes out of what the big story is behind the whole Avengers three-year plan that I have. He's very important, very pivotal, and I think people are really going to dig where we go with that. He's not going to be our poor analogue for Superman." - Hickman 

2/6/13 11:00 AM
oioisavvy
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That pic of star brand looks a little like Ken, but younger.
Could he be the star child?

I'm excited to see this, and would love to see an updated dp7. Phone Post
2/6/13 11:02 AM
Daredevil73
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have the original Starbrand that came out in the 80s. Did they bring the series back or something?
2/6/13 11:10 AM
oioisavvy
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sort of.
There was a reboot called new universal that didn't last long sadly.
If i remember it right the stranger got the star brand and captured the new universe world,but i cant remember if that was before or after the reboot. Phone Post
2/6/13 1:54 PM
None So Blind
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ah, the New Universe. I remember that. 2 good titles (Justice and Star Brand), three OK titles (Psi-Force, Merc, and DP7), and 3 crap (Spitfire, Nightmask, and Kickers Inc.).

I actually really enjoyed Star Brand 'til it went to absolute shit after "The Pitt." Such a great concept, to give almost Superman level power to an ordinary dude - no major psychological hang-ups like Batman or Spider-Man, etc. Just a dude frazzled that his girlfriend was going to find out about his fuck buddy :-P
2/16/13 3:50 PM
JJitsu
276 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Now they just need to bring back Nth Man Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.