UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Workouts on days of Jiu Jitsu Classes

1/30/13 1:51 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
icon115
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey guys. I've been doing bjj twice a week for about 5 years now. I'm 33. Also started doing kettlebells and some cardio work on the off days at lunch. I would say i'm just at an average build/fitness.

Just wondering if you guys do strength and conditioning training on the days that you are training (bjj or mma or striking).

Thanks.
1/30/13 2:37 PM
disbeliever
362 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
Its all about rest/recovery IMO.

In 2000 I was teaching/training BJJ 6 days a week. We would meet up first thing in the morning to do sprints, I would work a full career, head to the gym and teach a few classes, then grab some dinner, then we would train. 3 nights a week we lifted after teaching and before BJJ.

I would get about 7 hours a night sleep during the week, but Sunday was my sleep all day day to recover. No phones, internet nothing. Just stress free relaxation and rest.

Worked out well for me for years.
1/30/13 3:34 PM
icon115
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I guess I can always play it by ear. Just feel like I'm too tired for sparring on the days I work out. Might just have to dial down the work out. 2 young kids don't help either!

Thanks for the tip.
1/30/13 3:37 PM
disbeliever
362 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
icon115 - I guess I can always play it by ear. Just feel like I'm too tired for sparring on the days I work out. Might just have to dial down the work out. 2 young kids don't help either!

Thanks for the tip.

Oh whoa. You have kids? Yea you may just be over doing it then. I did not have that work load when I was married with kids, it was prior to all of that.

I would cut back and not push each each day, making sure to give yourself plenty of time to rest
1/30/13 4:47 PM
Tilla
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds like a pretty gruelling schedule, man!
1/30/13 4:52 PM
Tilla

I used to do this on a Friday...

3pm - 4pm: Rowing

5.30pm - 6.45pm: Boxing (hardcore bag workout)

7.50pm - 9.00pm: Judo

I'd be FRIED after the Rowing workout, but come by the end of the Judo workout I'd be CRAWLING HOME ruined.

If you can get your weights done in the AM and your BJJ done in the PM that'd be better ;-)
1/30/13 5:32 PM
Leigh
829 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I train my s&c on martial arts days and then have loads of rest days Phone Post
1/30/13 6:28 PM
Chocolate Shatner
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have done both. Currently, my training days is different from my lifting days.

However, for years I would do my hardest judo workout on the same day that I did my hardest chest and back workout. The reasons were two-fold:

1. It was the only way to get them both in with my work schedule.
2. I could take 10 hours in between to rest.

Even then, I knew I wasn't full power for my judo (which was fine by me, since most of my training partners were much smaller than me).

Another thing to take a look at is what your workouts are consisting of. For example, in the above, while the weights were the hardest I did for the upper body that week, it was also very compact and focused. I lifted for raw maximal strength. There was no hypertrophy work, no stability work, no cardio, etc. So the whole damned lifting workout only took 45 minutes including a warm up and cool down stretch. I saved my hypertrophy, stability, etc for later in the week.
1/31/13 5:56 PM
NutterButter

I do. It does make me lose muscle endurance on the days I do bjj after I lift but I think it helps to make me more technical.
2/2/13 4:56 PM
Stubjj844
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you do it before just make sure you shower before coming to class. I knew a guy who would do hard cardio sessions before coming and his gi was soaking wet before the warm-up even started. I got stuck drilling with him a few times and every time I touched his gi was like grabbing a cloth dipped in salty sweat. He would leave big wet patches everywhere he lay down on the mat.
2/4/13 8:41 PM
Keep if professional

At our age (I'm the same age as you) there's really no bonus to lifting and training on the same day. You're setting yourself up for mediocre gains and overtraining. I stay out of the weight room on days I train MMA or Muay Thai.
2/5/13 9:23 AM
XmmaAddictX
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Almost your age (will be 30 this year). Im doing bjj 3-4x per week and thai boxing once per week (on a bjj day). on my bjj/thai boxing day I wont do any S&C. On bjj only days I will usually run through a quick (25-30min) cardio circuit.

I save 2 days per week for heavier lifting and cardio days with no bjj or thai boxing. Needless to say, rest days are quite minimal. Its a hectic schedule. Working a full time job and i've got two little ones as well. Phone Post
2/5/13 10:00 AM
LiftStrong
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I always had better results doing my S&C work on the same day as sparring and grappling. Full, quality rest days are important as you get older.
2/10/13 9:19 AM
VelcroFly45
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My BJJ school meets mon-fri from 7pm-9pm. I do my heavy lift every morning at 5am, work from 7-3, then I take an half hour off after work.
Around 3:30 I do 100 pull-ups and 200 push-ups followed by heavy bag work for about 45 minutes, then rest till class.
I've been doing that routine for about 4 months. You just have to know your body.
Some days I take off, others I feel better then 100%. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.