UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> SUB ONLY WORLDS 2013: Who would you like to see?

1/30/13 8:43 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
EddieBravo
526 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/04/13 5:52 PM
10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu, www.thetwister.tv

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

March 30 is SUB ONLY WORLDS 2013 (SOW) the 170 division, in Downtown Los Angeles. We will be doing a different division every other month. It's same day weigh ins so who would you like to see compete at welterweight?

20k grand prize.
15 minute matches. 20 minute final.No points, no advantages.

Draws end up in double DQ's.

If there is an odd number of competitors that make it to the second round the one with the fastest submission gets the bye. (Same for all rounds)

Competiors can wear gi's.

PPV streaming provided by BudoVideos
Yellow cards for stalling, 3 and you are DQ'd.
Special overtime in the finals based on submissions.

So far Marco Machado (check mat), Alberto Crane (Gracie Barra), Jason Manly (Gracie Fighter), Karin Darabedyan (Gokor), Enrico Cocco (Zen Jiu Jitsu) and the one and only Kron Gracie are in.

Who would you like to see? :-) Phone Post

1/30/13 9:01 PM
189 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you gotta give some points eddie or you will have a guy doing nothing,you seen it all ready i dont have to tell u

1/30/13 9:16 PM
EddieBravo
526 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/30/13 9:45 PM
12 - 

you gotta give some points eddie or you will have a guy doing nothing,you seen it all ready i dont have to tell u

There are already thousands of point tournaments, the world doesn't need another one.

Every single sub only match is not exciting, that is impossible, some will definitely suck, but overall, sub only matches, in my opinion, are more entertaining than point matches.

I am implimenting yellow cards. If a ref feels that one competitor is clearly just holding on for a draw, he will issue a yellow card. At that point a new ref will take over. If that ref feels the competitor is still holding on for a draw then he will give a second yellow card. A new ref will take over. If that ref feels that he is still holding on for the draw then he gets DQ'd. 

1/30/13 9:55 PM
kidd26
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Eddie, how does someone register for this or is it invite only? Our grappler Stephen Martinez is a 2x Brown Belt Absolute National Champion and would like the opportunity to participate in your tournament
1/30/13 10:16 PM
Stubjj844
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Keenan would be cool, and Rafa. But im not sure with all the other tournaments around that time.
1/30/13 10:17 PM
Stubjj844
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh, shit, noticed its just 170.
1/30/13 10:20 PM
EddieBravo

It's invite only but we are accepting applications. Contact dgonzales@subonlyworlds.com

I am not producing this event to make money or to promote 10th Planet. I am on a quest to create the most entertaining/exciting tournament possible. If we could raise enough money I would make it a million dollar grand prize. So far 20k is all I could come up with. The more successful this tournament is the higher the grand prize will be :-) Phone Post
1/30/13 10:24 PM
shoudawhouda
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cool idea Eddie. Will you be streaming live? Would like to watch and throw in a few bucks to support the sub only tournaments. Phone Post
1/30/13 10:30 PM
Twelve Gage
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fightlogs.com, Owner

I'll tune in!

Not sure of what these guys are weighing right now but I'd like to see

Bill Cooper, Leo Viera, Victor Estima, and Ben Henderson (if he can)

Drew Ficket would be an interesting entry as well.

1/30/13 10:30 PM
kidd26

Awesome, thank you Eddie
1/30/13 10:31 PM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Invite a top Marcelo WW
1/30/13 10:51 PM
dokomoy
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is it day of weigh ins or day before? I'd love to see Marcelo or Otavio Sousa or Claudio Calasans but I doubt they could make 170 right as they stepped on the mat.

Either way I'd love to see guys like Lucas Lepri, Rafael Mendes, Michael Langhi, Cobrinha, Roberto Satoshi and JT Torres
1/30/13 11:40 PM
H
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Look like it's a week after the Pans. Hopefully some more big names will enter.
1/31/13 12:05 AM
Stephen Eakin
121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The double DQ is an interesting rule. I like these Sub Only tournaments. Phone Post
1/31/13 12:09 AM
Baroquen Record
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12 - 

thats what the yellow cards are for.
1/31/13 12:20 AM
GrapplerX
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice! Phone Post
1/31/13 12:29 AM
crotchshot
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It should be 30 minute matches and a 45 minute final. It is invite only, not like there will be a hundred matches a day. The 2-3 minute matches will make up for the 30 minute matches. 15 minute matches will result in a lot of double DQs. Look at Metamoris. It was 20 minute matches and like half of them ended in no sub.
1/31/13 12:45 AM
MrBen
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can the matches be 30min? 15 mins seems too short imo.

Leo lo, Lucas Leite, Lucas Lepri, Murillo Santana, Victor Estima, r.Mendes, dj jackson/jt torres, Beneil Dariush, Sean Roberts, Roberto Satoshi, Otavio Sousa, Claudio Calasans, Marcelo Garcia would be a good additions imo.

Im guessing Keenan would be too heavy.
1/31/13 1:01 AM
CompanyBlue

Needs more sambo and judo experts. I know it's mostly bjj backgrounds but give it some variety. Maybe a couple of d 1 level wrestlers who have become high purples and browns to mix it up.
1/31/13 1:15 AM
checkuroil
267 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Denny? Phone Post
1/31/13 2:36 AM
ElPulpo
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nick Diaz
Bill Cooper
1/31/13 2:49 AM
On the Mat
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

this should be great! nice work eddie
1/31/13 2:56 AM
GrahamJ

Cool idea: it's like Limp's 'Kumite'; did you get the idea when you attended his seminar?
1/31/13 3:12 AM
flyingtoehold
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Andre galvao vs ryron gracie! Oh wait, ryron would just aim for the DQ. Forget it, but give Galvao a ring. Phone Post
1/31/13 4:05 AM
EddieBravo

The goal for me is to do everything possible to make the matches as exciting as possible for the fans. "Urgency" for the submission, in my opinion, should be the main focus when designing the rules. No time limit matches put the competitors in more of a relaxed mind set, not as much urgency, less risks. Sure, 15 minutes is ALOT shorter than no time limit but it's not like a 7 or 8 minute match. 15 minute rounds, in my opinion, will ad ALOT of urgency, which should result in more entertaining matches and less relaxed mind sets. Plus, trying to get the quickest sub to get a bye in the second round ads even more urgency. Urgency = excitement :-) Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.