UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Level that instructor gets to be called 'Master'?

1/31/13 9:52 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Blkbelt39
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1st degree black professor. 9 degree red master I believe Phone Post
1/31/13 10:27 AM
Randy "Stinks Like a Fart" Marsh
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thought the term master was reserved for the heads of BJJ associations. All other black belts in the association are to be called professor. Phone Post
1/31/13 10:32 AM
BandakaKush
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

First you must master all 36 styles of animal kung-fu.
1/31/13 10:32 AM
ChokeTheFace
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When you are getting spanked with a cat o 9 tails whip and have a ball gag in your mouth. Phone Post
1/31/13 11:09 AM
Hywel Teague
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Blkbelt39 -  1st degree black professor. 9 degree red master I believe Phone Post

Almost but not quite

7th degree red and blck (coral) belt – Master.

9th degree red belt - Grand Master

Technically anything up to that is just professor but a lot of people will use the title 'mestre' for guys who are less than 7th degrees, but never usually less than 4 or 5
1/31/13 11:19 AM
vegard
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nice info teague.

I was always averse to the term master.

Until recently when I realized before long I'll be a "professor" too.

Seems odd to me to then call my instructor professor when he has so much more skill and knowledge than me. I thought maybe I'd start calling him master -- not in a slave owner or subservient kind of way -- but in regards to his mastery of bjj.
1/31/13 11:57 AM
k1levelstriking
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Our instructor is a 2nd degree black, highly respected in the area and is happy with being called by his 1st name Phone Post
1/31/13 12:15 PM
Hywel Teague
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

vegard - nice info teague.

Seems odd to me to then call my instructor professor when he has so much more skill and knowledge than me. I thought maybe I'd start calling him master -- not in a slave owner or subservient kind of way -- but in regards to his mastery of bjj.
What I see here in Brazil is that Mestre or Master is used only by the students as a form of respect. No true masters call themselves that. Phone Post
1/31/13 12:59 PM
T-Ham
274 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I call my instructor "coach" or I call him by his name.

I couldn't train under someone that I had to call "master".

Lets be honest here. I know too many other people outside of BJJ that are bad ass motherfuckers in life that have nothing to do with martial arts that would be more desreving of such a title.

In the grand scheme of things BJJ is very insignificant. We can focus on it, and make it as big as we want to in our minds, but all you have to do is step outside of your BJJ circle jerk and have some regular social experiences with succesful, driven, intellignt, and morally upright  people to realize how out of balance your life is when you are calling someone who rolls around on the ground better than most "master".

my 2 cents

1/31/13 2:31 PM
GrahamJ

According to 'The Avellan Exception', you can call yourself 'Master' as soon as you have a black belt, and are part of 'Team Limp Irvin'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5-HiB7L2DU
1/31/13 2:42 PM
Gus77
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Master in BJJ is a competitor from ages 31-40. Above that is Senior. If there is an old fart, but still badass enough to kick your ass, you may want refrain from calling him senior and go with master. I prefer sir myself, master sounds like a bsdm thing.
1/31/13 2:49 PM
biggator
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

damn avellan calls palhares retarded in that vid... smh.
1/31/13 3:14 PM
Rival School

GrahamJ - According to 'The Avellan Exception', you can call yourself 'Master' as soon as you have a black belt, and are part of 'Team Limp Irvin'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5-HiB7L2DU
Go one post without the word limp.

You have flaccid phallic on the brain Phone Post
1/31/13 3:20 PM
CJJScout
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hywel Teague - 
vegard - nice info teague.

What I see here in Brazil is that Mestre or Master is used only by the students as a form of respect. No true masters call themselves that. Phone Post

I thought it was 5th degree, but don't know why I thought that.

When I teach, I don't care what folks call me. However, when I refer to the higher ranking black belts I always refer to them as Professor So and So. Not because they refer to themselves as that, but as a way to delineate the difference between us and that they were black before me and as a way to show respect. Most of the students still call them by their name, but I still refer to them as Professor as a way to show respect.
1/31/13 3:50 PM
GrahamJ

biggator - damn avellan calls palhares retarded in that vid... smh.

That's MASTER Avellan!

...or plain old 'Master Dave' to his friends and family.

I can't believe the whining from these douches.
They're so dedicated to whining that they've made a video of themselves doing it.
3%ers my arse.

Rival School: I have done as ordered.
1/31/13 3:58 PM
Rival School

GrahamJ -
biggator - damn avellan calls palhares retarded in that vid... smh.

That's MASTER Avellan!

...or plain old 'Master Dave' to his friends and family.

I can't believe the whining from these douches.
They're so dedicated to whining that they've made a video of themselves doing it.
3%ers my arse.

Rival School: I have done as ordered.
Haha. Massa Dave suffering from white guilt Phone Post
1/31/13 4:07 PM
andrewn

Gus77 - Master in BJJ is a competitor from ages 31-40. Above that is Senior. If there is an old fart, but still badass enough to kick your ass, you may want refrain from calling him senior and go with master. I prefer sir myself, master sounds like a bsdm thing.

According to the IBJJF rules:

Master: (Current Year) - (Birth Year) >= 30

Senior 1: (Current Year) - (Birth Year) >= 36
1/31/13 4:27 PM
shen
672 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/31/13 6:24 PM

These guys going around referring to themselves as "Master" are clowns who understand little about the spirit of the martial arts. They may know a thing or two about a few techniques, but they REALLY missed the boat when it comes to understanding some of the SUBTLETIES of martial tradition...

If they want to play the "Master" game, fine... Hope they have fun tricking the uneducated public.

Personally, I couldn't care less what my students call me
--BUT-- the bylaws of Shendokai International (the organization which governs the Shendokan & affiliated dojos) INSISTS that I am formally referred to by the honorific title "Grandmaster" at all times. --Honestly, it's more a burden than anything.

Sometimes I almost wish I had left that rule out of the by-laws when I wrote them, but it's too late now to change that.

-GM. Shen
1/31/13 5:39 PM
FJJ828

It depends. In TLI, you can call yourself "Master" at Purple Belt if you are running your own school as an affiliate.

Most others wait a little longer... say 4th degree Black Belt and higher. My friend and coach, Marcelo Pereira just got his 4th and apparently is qualified as a "Master". He ansers to Marcelo or Marcelinho though.

I am a plain Black Belt but have some students who call me "Professor". I just let it go. Everyone else calls me by my first name.

1/31/13 5:56 PM
BenBJJ
237 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GrahamJ - 
Rival School - 
LCSULLA -
GrahamJ - Level 1 Gang Rapist - attempted, due to limpness.

Dude..I have to ask: Was someone close to you raped? Becuase you seem overally fixated on LI.
Seriously that's all he talks about and it's creepy. I think he's making fun of Lloyd for being limp because in the rapes he participated in he was hard as a rock Phone Post

Hahaha!

Yeah: talking about Lloyd Irvin...in a thread about him; weird.

LCSULLA: he's just an easy target for derision, and he's very 'now', right now; witness: all the threads about him.

This thread is not about LI
1/31/13 7:07 PM
MickColins
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The only person in BJJ/MMA who should be called master is Ryan Bader.

1/31/13 7:47 PM
joemasepoos
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MickColins - 

The only person in BJJ/MMA who should be called master is Ryan Bader.

LOL , good call !!
1/31/13 7:54 PM
BenBJJ
237 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shen - 
These guys going around referring to themselves as "Master" are clowns who understand little about the spirit of the martial arts. They may know a thing or two about a few techniques, but they REALLY missed the boat when it comes to understanding some of the SUBTLETIES of martial tradition...

If they want to play the "Master" game, fine... Hope they have fun tricking the uneducated public.

Personally, I couldn't care less what my students call me
--BUT-- the bylaws of Shendokai International (the organization which governs the Shendokan & affiliated dojos) INSISTS that I am formally referred to by the honorific title "Grandmaster" at all times. --Honestly, it's more a burden than anything.

Sometimes I almost wish I had left that rule out of the by-laws when I wrote them, but it's too late now to change that.

-GM. Shen

I concur with Grandmaster Shen.

*Bows*
1/31/13 8:01 PM
GIBB0
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd have no problem calling my instructor "master" if he has a red belt. Out of respect.

Not in a "he's my master" way. More so the same way of call a doctor "doctor". They earned the level of master, as in the are a master of bjj, but it would be weird if they enforced it strictly, especially outside class.

I get the feeling some schools call the instructor "master" implying they are the master of the class. That's a little weird and creates a strange vibe, in my opinion. Phone Post
2/1/13 12:26 AM
truehonor
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Only Master Po from the TV series "Kung Fu" ever really deserved and wore that title like it was meant to be.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.